PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gilmore out with concussion....from what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing about that game is that it was pretty much over after the first 11 minutes once the Ravens led 24-0.

After Rice's 83-yd TD on the opening play (due almost entirely to Meriweather free-lancing), the Ravens scored a TD from 17 yards out after Brady got strip-sacked by Suggs on the Pats third offensive play of the game. Then, after an exchange of 3-and-outs, the Ravens scored a third TD from 25 yards out after Chris Carr picked off Brady's 4th pass attempt of the game. Brady's next pass attempt was picked off by Ed Reed and returned 25 yards to the Pats' 9-yard-line, but the Pats defense held the Ravens to a FG.

In about the middle of Q3, Dawan Landry ran back Brady's 3rd pick of the game 42 yards to the Pats' 18 but had to settle for another FG as the Pats defense held again.
-----
By the end of that first quarter, the Ravens had gained 42 yards on 17 plays (aside from Rice's run). Flacco had completed 2 of 5 passes for 14 yards.

Over the next three quarters of play, Flacco only attempted 5 more passes, completing three for 20 total yards with one picked off by Tully Banta-Cain (the Pats went 3-and-out). Flacco's stat line for the game was 4/10 for 34 yards with one interception. I'm pretty sure that set a modern era record for fewest pass attempts in a playoff game that will stand until the end of civilization.

And, after the Rice breakaway TD, the Ravens ran the ball 51 more times against the Pats for an average of less than three yards per carry. And it wasn't until well into Q4 that the Ravens put up an actual scoring drive (52) yards.

The Pats defense really wasn't the problem.
-----
Meanwhile, Edelman caught 6 of 8 targets for 44 yards and both Pats' TDs in his first start. He also had a 28-yard punt return.

Pretty good description. I'd completely forgot about Flacco not needing to throw (the D was setting them up prime). Again take my recollection FWIW -- the past AFC playoff losses are kinda melding into one memory. Maybe it was 2012(??) Ravens game?.
Anyway my recollection between that 2010 loss and I believe it was the following year's also very unexpected loss to the Jets (??), the Jets just executed a great game plan that was right to beat the team we had and have to give credit to Rexy for that. The Ravens loss didn't have that kind of feel to the loss. But again these days those AFC losses from years gone by are melding together so much I may be swapping the games around :).

According to Mike Reiss it happened in the Buccaneers game.. seems unreasonable to think this type of thing is funny.

Although Gilmore participated fully, he has been experiencing headaches since the team's Oct. 5 win over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, a source tells ESPN's Josina Anderson. Gilmore banged heads with wide receiver Mike Evans on a play, a source tells Anderson.

They absolutely positively need to beat the Jets tomorrow and Chargers after Atlanta. They aren't beating Atlanta. We all know that. Thus, they better dam be able to beat Chargers & Jets to be 5-3 before Denver & Raiders.

Just to clarify, were you saying we couldn't beat the Atlanta Falcons?

The same Falcons that lost to the Bills?

The same Falcons that lost to the Lolphins?

The same Falcons that barely got by Mike Glennon and the Chicago Bears, and beat the Lions by a foot?

We have no chance against them?

They absolutely positively need to beat the Jets tomorrow and Chargers after Atlanta. They aren't beating Atlanta. We all know that. Thus, they better dam be able to beat Chargers & Jets to be 5-3 before Denver & Raiders.

Since we lost to Atlanta, I guess we really need that Chargers game to get to 5-3...wait a second...

Since we lost to Atlanta, I guess we really need that Chargers game to get to 5-3...wait a second...

Hindsight is a funny thing. I'm probably not the only one who expected Atlanta to put up 30 at the minimum. They'll be favored the next three games. Chargers game won't be a cake walk.

2-0 without Gilmore.

2-0 without Gilmore.

Please don't make this about Gilmore. That's unfairly bad to him, and unfairly excusing to the rest of the defense.

Yeah, there were mental mistakes, including by Gilmore, but Butler has admitted that he wasn't playing well, that everything had affected him, for example.

I think Collingsworth nailed it last night. SIMPLIFY. Patricia was trying to do too much - maybe that was part of the long-view to see what he had. The Pats D was really good last night.
EDIT: In that type of D, Gilmore will shine. Ask Mike Evans if Gilmore can play.

Put Rowe and Gilmore back in the mix and they're much better, and now, clearly, five deep at corner. Bademosi looks like a steal, and J Jones has grown, Butler-like.

Atlanta didn't run bunch receiver sets. Dumb.

Hindsight is a funny thing. I'm probably not the only one who expected Atlanta to put up 30 at the minimum. They'll be favored the next three games. Chargers game won't be a cake walk.

There is no hindsight involved. All the signs of a dominant team were there in the last 2 games but the team just never put it all together for 60 minutes. I hate how some people paint the Falcons game a surprise or an upset because it is just the logical continuation of the Bucs and Jets game.

And there were enough people pointing this out.. again and again.. for weeks now..

No, idiotic assumptions are a funny thing.

We all have ideas and thoughts. But some of us recognize anything is possible, while others think there is only one possibility, which coincides with what they think.

I'm not calling you out for making a prediction that went wrong. It's how sure you are, when you have no reason to be sure about anything.

2-0 without Gilmore.
Gilmore was part of the communication struggles that plagued us the first several weeks. BUT he is still the Patriots most talented corner. He will be back in the starting line up as soon as he is available to be. I hope we don't see communication issues crop up again with the return of Gilmore and Rowe.

If that problem is shored up we have more good days ahead for the defense.

We’ve got to hear something soon about his concussion. Hopefully, this week. His collision with Mike Evans occurred on 10/5, almost 3 weeks ago.

This board is too quick to bury Gilmore and to send Bademosi to Canton. Check back in December and we'll see where they stand. Chances are Gilmore will be back in the starting lineup and Bademosi will be back on STs. Each could be among the best.

This board is too quick to bury Gilmore and to send Bademosi to Canton. Check back in December and we'll see where they stand. Chances are Gilmore will be back in the starting lineup and Bademosi will be back on STs. Each could be among the best.

Yep, Bademosi has done some very good work stepping in and being the next man up. We're playing with house money because of it, but it's been two games, so let's not get crazy.

EDIT - I think it's the phenomenon of hoping that we're going to hit another home run on an inexpensive pickup, so it's tempting to see things that maybe aren't there. This time last year, a lot of folks were crowning Elandon Roberts and giving him a better assessment than was probably warranted. It's always a wait and see sort of thing when it comes to player development, even if "wait and see" is the enemy of "hawt takes".

We’ve got to hear something soon about his concussion. Hopefully, this week. His collision with Mike Evans occurred on 10/5, almost 3 weeks ago.

Agreed. It's probably just overthought, however, it seems extra concerning that he didn't show up on the injury report until the Thursday after the game. So unless the league reviews film and requires players to go into the protocol based on post game film review, the delayed add to the injury report suggests Gilmore started having physical symptoms days after the game. I'm no expert but symptoms showing up days after the hit to the head seems more concerning.
I think of Mike Wright and how we were waiting for and needing him to return -- unaware the guy was suffering severe and prolonged symptoms from a blow to the head. I'm not saying that is Gilmore but the Wright situation will always stick in my memory.

If Gilmore is not fully practicing this week then it's extra concerning that he has more than a 'run of the mill' (for lack of a better phrase) concussion.

Agreed. It's probably just overthought, however, it seems extra concerning that he didn't show up on the injury report until the Thursday after the game. So unless the league reviews film and requires players to go into the protocol based on post game film review, the delayed add to the injury report suggests Gilmore started having physical symptoms days after the game. I'm no expert but symptoms showing up days after the hit to the head seems more concerning.
I think of Mike Wright and how we were waiting for and needing him to return -- unaware the guy was suffering severe and prolonged symptoms from a blow to the head. I'm not saying that is Gilmore but the Wright situation will always stick in my memory.

If Gilmore is not fully practicing this week then it's extra concerning that he has more than a 'run of the mill' (for lack of a better phrase) concussion.
In Gilmore’s case, I believe that he was able to practice alright during the week after the TNF game, and was experiencing some bad symptoms the day before the Jets game, where he was ruled out. It definitely didn’t seem like a run of the mill concussion that we often see when guys return a week later.

Yep, Mike Wright comes to mind. Sydney Crosby, too. He had some stretches where he missed significant time due to concussions. Hopefully, he’s not even in the protocol any longer, although it’s possible that the team may hold him out one more game due to the benefit of having the long break. I suppose we’ll know more once they get back to practice on Weds., but if he’s not out there again people may start to wonder.

In Gilmore’s case, I believe that he was able to practice alright during the week after the TNF game, and was experiencing some bad symptoms the day before the Jets game, where he was ruled out. It definitely didn’t seem like a run of the mill concussion that we often see when guys return a week later.

Yep, Mike Wright comes to mind. Sydney Crosby, too. He had some stretches where he missed significant time due to concussions. Hopefully, he’s not even in the protocol any longer, although it’s possible that the team may hold him out one more game due to the benefit of having the long break. I suppose we’ll know more once they get back to practice on Weds., but if he’s not out there again people may start to wonder.

"experiencing some bad symptoms"? Damn I didn't know that. I guess call it wishful thinking on my part but I thought(hoped?) he had shown just a sign of it and his absence was from rule & precaution.
I believe Gilmore was at practice last week(?). Was any of it contact? (fyi, I have no idea what limits the protocol puts on practicing)

"experiencing some bad symptoms"? Damn I didn't know that. I guess call it wishful thinking on my part but I thought(hoped?) he had shown just a sign of it and his absence was from rule & precaution.
I believe Gilmore was at practice last week(?). Was any of it contact? (fyi, I have no idea what limits the protocol puts on practicing)
No, man, I don’t think anyone has seen him since, but I could be wrong. Usually, we get some tweet or report from a beat writer stating that they saw them in the locker room or something. I don’t believe that’s been the case. Again, I may have missed something, so apologies if so, but I was under the impression that he’s remained in the protocol and hasn’t stepped on the field or even been seen in the locker room.

I thought I read blurry vision and headaches experienced the Sat before the NY trip, 9 days later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back