PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NE @ KC AFCCG rewatch thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PP2

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Welcome to the analysis only thread. No hot takes allowed in here. Plenty of other threads for that.

Please be civil. Feel free to critique the play or disagree, but please don't become personal or start attacking each other.

Also, this thread is not some sort of "exclusive club." Everyone is welcomed to participate, to post an analytical tweet that's relevant, or to post original analysis, or a clip from the game.

Above all, if you don't understand something, whether it be terminology or concept, etc. Please ask!

Our run D was stellar last night. We only allowed 41 yards.

I think one of the crucial factors in our win was the performance of the OL and how they were coached and responded. They played their best game of the year- their protection and run zone blocking was just lights out, last night.

Brady was sacked zero times and hurried only twice.

JC Jackson, seemed like had a few unlucky calls go against him? Does anyone have any tape on some of those flags he had?

Thought Brady was in control all game.

Was disappointed in that one yard interception at the goal line. Just looks like it was a bad play call. Hope that gets fixed.

Dorsett is massively underrated for this team in my opinion. Doesn’t drop many and has very good hands.

Defence was superb in the first half and the third Quarter.

Was a solid all round team performance.

I’ll start with the RZ INT. This will probably be gone over in more detail by Lazar and Chatham, but this is a good example of where studying that much tape it a bad thing .01% of the time. That was no doubt a look in which the Chiefs, in that situation, ALWAYS had the Mike blitz that gap. Brady clearly picked up on that which was why he turned around and threw to a spot. Props to Sutton for dropping the Mike in that circumstance which led to a pitch and catch INT in the RZ and a critical play as the Pats would have no doubt went up 14-0 had they not reversed tendency.

Interesting tidbit:

The pass play to Gronkowski, which gave the Patriots a first down at the Chiefs’ 15, was not in the game plan. New England has run the Gronk slant before, but hadn’t planned to run it here, and the only play they called that wasn’t planned turned out quite possibly to be the biggest play of their day. As the 40-second play clock wound down, offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels called the play they hadn’t practiced during the week because the coaches saw a coverage deficiency by Kansas City safety Eric Berry on Gronkowski.

FMIA: Amazing, crazy games lead to Rams-Patriots Super Bowl; Tom Brady: ‘We’ll Remember This Forever’

Interesting tidbit:

The pass play to Gronkowski, which gave the Patriots a first down at the Chiefs’ 15, was not in the game plan. New England has run the Gronk slant before, but hadn’t planned to run it here, and the only play they called that wasn’t planned turned out quite possibly to be the biggest play of their day. As the 40-second play clock wound down, offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels called the play they hadn’t practiced during the week because the coaches saw a coverage deficiency by Kansas City safety Eric Berry on Gronkowski.

FMIA: Amazing, crazy games lead to Rams-Patriots Super Bowl; Tom Brady: ‘We’ll Remember This Forever’

Brady and Gronk go through that in one of the behind the scenes videos @Wheelman posted in the postgame thread:

I hope this doesn't get buried in the other thread because this is literally the best locker room videos we have ever gotten. Uncut, raw none of this overproduced Patriots stuff.

It includes a couple of cool nuggets like the OL talking a few words about Suh, Hoyer talking with Slater about the coin flip and how Slater stuck with heads even though he was losing most of the flips this year and then this Brady Gronk scene at around 3:22. Apparently Brady literally told Gronk to "torch them".

Maybe it deserves its own thread even. The only reason I posted it here was because of the connection to the short nugget on Gronk.

Last edited:
There was a completed pass to Hogan in the 3rd quarter along the left sideline for a 1st down in which he was knocked OOB real hard. Does anyone remember that play? I will try and look it up later if possible.

The reason I bring it up is because someone on the Pats appeared to come out of the backfield on a swing pass to the right and looked completely alone, with all of the defenders heading to the offense's left.

I was wondering if there's any film of that play that might confirm that.

I don't post this because of Baldy's point about Brady's signals but about the shot of Gronk keeping Houston out of the play with one hand. Contrast that to Kelce's contributions on the game. Hell even now Gronk is an overall more valuable piece on the field than Kelce. Even without his passing game contributions. He gives the team almost another lineman in terms of blocking ability on the field. Absurd.

I’ll start with the RZ INT. This will probably be gone over in more detail by Lazar and Chatham, but this is a good example of where studying that much tape it a bad thing .01% of the time. That was no doubt a look in which the Chiefs, in that situation, ALWAYS had the Mike blitz that gap. Brady clearly picked up on that which was why he turned around and threw to a spot. Props to Sutton for dropping the Mike in that circumstance which led to a pitch and catch INT in the RZ and a critical play as the Pats would have no doubt went up 14-0 had they not reversed tendency.

Here is Baldy on that one:

It is obviously a great play by Ragland and also good coaching by Sutton. But do you really want to even attempt the throw given how Gronk really was not open ? Eh. I guess that might be nitpicking. I dont know.

Interesting tidbit:

That was a play in which Sutton adjusted by having Sorensen bracket Edelman. You could see his eyes at the snap. That was Edelman all the way and Sorensen had come down to take Edelman. When that happened, he vacated the spot that Gronk was in. One on one vs Berry was a clear win. McDaniels and Brady in essence anticipated what Sutton was gojng to do and the result was profit.

Here is Baldy on that one:

Yeah, Brady is stunned because I guarantee you the Mike hasn’t dropped in that look all year. I originally have credit to Sutton but it might be more Ragland on that one. Not sure if that was a design or just a heads up play. Either way, Ragland was crashing that gap until he recognized the PA. So whether that was by design or just Ragland adjusting quickly can be debated. Happens. They get paid to make plays, too.

Brady and Gronk go through that in one of the behind the scenes videos @Wheelman posted in the postgame thread:

I hope this doesn't get buried in the other thread because this is literally the best locker room videos we have ever gotten. Uncut, raw none of this overproduced Patriots stuff.

It includes a couple of cool nuggets like the OL talking a few words about Suh, Hoyer talking with Slater about the coin flip and how Slater stuck with heads even though he was losing most of the flips this year and then this Brady Gronk scene at around 3:22. Apparently Brady literally told Gronk to "torch them".

Maybe it deserves its own thread even. The only reason I posted it here was because of the connection to the short nugget on Gronk.

Dave andrews could a job post carreer as a Best Buy door greater. :D

Great post! Love the passion that they all show. Such a great team and they all play for each other.

Great block by Trent Brown clearing the way for Brady to see the whole field.

NFL Matchup on ESPN‏Verified account @NFLMatchup 54m54 minutes ago
#Patriots Offense: Brady to Hogan. 1 handed catch for a first down.

Also, watch LT Trent Brown for entertainment purposes.
1f440.png

Our run D was stellar last night. We only allowed 41 yards.

We apparently had no negative yardage plays in the entire game (except the kneeldown). On the road inside loud Arrowhead. Sony's vision really helps minimize those plays a lot. This is not meant to be a LGB thrashing or something but on some of the runs where Michel can get back to the LOS or even gain 2-3 yards he would be stuffed in the backfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back