PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NE @ KC AFCCG rewatch thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
While re-watching the failed 4th-down attempt by Burkhead during the 4th quarter, I first wanted to see who made the stop - it was #49 Sorensen. I then looked to see which Pats OLman might've been assigned to him, and noticed somebody standing in the place where Sorensen had been. I had to double- and triple-check the number to make sure that it actually read 77 - Trent Brown ...on the right side of the formation!

So my questions obviously are:
How often has that formation been used, and what is the success rate with it?
Could Brown's lack of experience being on the opposite side of the line this season (acknowledging that he is a former RT) have contributed to his whiffing on Sorensen?
And doesn't moving him to the right side tip off the defense that the play will indeed run to the right side?

While re-watching the failed 4th-down attempt by Burkhead during the 4th quarter, I first wanted to see who made the stop - it was #49 Sorensen. I then looked to see which Pats OLman might've been assigned to him, and noticed somebody standing in the place where Sorensen had been. I had to double- and triple-check the number to make sure that it actually read 77 - Trent Brown ...on the right side of the formation!

So my questions obviously are:
How often has that formation been used, and what is the success rate with it?
Could Brown's lack of experience being on the opposite side of the line this season (acknowledging that he is a former RT) have contributed to his whiffing on Sorensen?
And doesn't moving him to the right side tip off the defense that the play will indeed run to the right side?

Was it a trap block? If so, the Patriots do that quite frequently.

Sounds like he is saying brown started the play as RT instead of LT

I had thought that but the post wasn't 100% clear. If it was a trap block, it would be normal for Brown to be on that side of the formation by the time the play ended. If not, then the Patriots basically gave it away. That should have been a timeout regardless. As soon as I saw the audible, I posted in the game thread that I felt it was going to be a mistake to hand the ball off to Burkhead there. But the team still won, so it wasn't a disaster.

Sounds like he is saying Brown started the play as RT instead of LT.
Mason - Cannon - Brown - Allen were lined-up to the right of Andrews, so Brown acted as a Jumbo Inside TE. Hope they execute better than that for the next time, if there is one.

Watched the ot drive again, something that gets overlooked is on 1st and goal burkhead looks like he is contacted around the 5 yard line but drives forward to about the 2. If its 2nd and goal from the 4-5 yard line makes it a little harder to run on 2nd. Then another punishing run by burkhead to get into the end zone.

As great as sony has been after initial contact, it seemed like he wasn’t making a whole lot of his own yards in half 2, so going with burkhead and the fresh legs imo was an outstanding call by bb or jmd, and burkhead’s value as a backup runner really showed in that game.

Last edited:
Mason - Cannon - Brown - Allen were lined-up to the right of Andrews, so Brown acted as a Jumbo Inside TE. Hope they execute better than that for the next time, if there is one.
Brown wasn't an eligible receiver.

I had thought that but the post wasn't 100% clear. If it was a trap block, it would be normal for Brown to be on that side of the formation by the time the play ended. If not, then the Patriots basically gave it away. That should have been a timeout regardless. As soon as I saw the audible, I posted in the game thread that I felt it was going to be a mistake to hand the ball off to Burkhead there. But the team still won, so it wasn't a disaster.

Formation:
Gronk-Thuney-Andrews-Mason-Cannon-Brown-Allen with Hogan split out to the left and Edelman off the LOS next to Gronk.

Brown double teamed Houston initially with Allen to kick him out before moving left to engage whoever else is coming. Sorensen shoots through that hole and forces Burkhead to try to salvage the down by leaping forwards.

Most of the Chiefs defenders were on the Patriots left anyways. Sadly Cannon did too good of a job pushing the down lineman inside which allowed Sorensen a gaping hole too far for Trent Brown.

The play would have worked!

Last edited:
...if Cannon DIDN'T do as good of a job blocking as he did? That's a new one.
They were protecting the QB sneak, so the D-line were all inside and Cannon just tossed his guy onto the pile. oh well. we still won at least. :)

They were protecting the QB sneak, so the D-line were all inside and Cannon just tossed his guy onto the pile. oh well. we still won at least. :)
Yeah, the fact that they were clogging the middle made it idiotic to attempt an inside run.

Last edited:
Yeah, the fact that they were clogging the middle made it idiotic to attendance inside run.
I don't think it was an inside run. I mean I don't know what all that means or what was the plan. But Burkhead cuts back inside because Sorensen is already thru the hole on the patriots right side of the pile and bearing down on him.

Marcus Spears on First Take doesn't see the Patriots standing in the Chiefs way this season. No Gronk and what not. Not that his opinion matters at all.

i still re watch the overtime weekly at least. i would watch the whole game but that 2nd half was too frustrating, shouldve won this one and the SB by multiple scores. wouldve been our first completely stress free postseason! *spoiled child pout sound*

i still re watch the overtime weekly at least. i would watch the whole game but that 2nd half was too frustrating, shouldve won this one and the SB by multiple scores. wouldve been our first completely stress free postseason! *spoiled child pout sound*
Should have been 35-0 by half time. That still irks me. The only thing I keep saying to myself is at least Brady is 3-0 in OT in postseason which is most of all time. And he's had one in each round of the playoffs which makes it even more cool.

Holy thread revival batman!
Somebody else revived it and I noticed my auto-correct fail so I fixed it. I feel shame.

Marcus Spears on First Take doesn't see the Patriots standing in the Chiefs way this season. No Gronk and what not. Not that his opinion matters at all.

The NFL does as well, which is why Hill is in uniform.

No passing of the tourch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes