PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jerry Jones to Goodell: Kraft is a P$$$Y Compared to what I will do to you

The entire article is really fascinating to me, no one except Deus Irae has really commented on that. That said, it acknowledges contributions from Chris Mortensen so it's more probable than not that 11 out of 12 paragraphs contain incorrect information.

But here are the key things I picked up on:

- Most owners think Goodell is screwing up big time, and the decreased TV viewership is a huge deal.

- Despite the fact that Goodell got booted from the 2011 union negotiations at the end, the owners are crediting him with their major win there because he was able to unite ownership in their demands and process, and he is still doing a good job on that front

- Goodell's extension is solely to ensure he's there for the 2021 union negotiations; they will be happy to toss him overboard after that. Owners also feel that if Goodell is tossed before union negotiations, the leverage goes straight to the players union - that they would expect concessions as a sign of good faith from ownership towards working with the new guy.

- Most owners think the league office has gotten too bloated and has too much power, and they believe it's very dysfunctional.

- Part of the problem is, either intentionally or unintentionally, Goodell hasn't found someone to groom as a successor the way Tagliabue did with him

- Ownership feels if they boot Goodell now, due to the above, it will create major disturbances and therefore they don't think it's worth it to change now. Never underestimate the power of inertia (I've also learned this in my consulting day job).
Nevertheless, one owner actually reached out to Adam Silver (NBA Commish) to hypothetically see if he was interested (response was apparently hypothetical laughter), and they've also put feelers out to International Olympic Committee members. But due to all the factors above, really unlikely anything will happen.

- Goodell himself knows all this, including the successor issue. He's pissed that he's being asked to take a pay cut despite having grown revenues in the past (good thing he's not a publically traded company CEO where compensation is all "what have you done for me lately?") and taking bullets for the owners. And because of the successor issue, he believes he has all the leverage in negotiations - and most owners seem to agree.

- That said, Goodell isn't enjoying the job anymore and doesn't really want to stick around long term. Being the stubborn guy he is though, he won't leave the job under these circumstances. He wants to draw as much money out as he can and stick around through the 2021 union negotiations, and is willing to work on a successor plan afterwards.

- Goodell is becoming more independent of ownership - part of the bloated league office, his dissatisfaction with his job, and the leverage he has. The union has noticed and is actually happier dealing with him now than in the past.
Where did you read Goodell doesnt want the job anymore?

somewhere around 50M, jet for life, and health insurance for life.......sounds like he doesn't want it, but if someone is stupid enough to agree, then so be it
Stupid or desperate. The only other assumption is that Goodell has some sort of blackmail on some well placed sources.

I hope Jones succeeds, finally have someone willing to stand up and get rid of that clown. Worst commissioner ever. Football needs someone that doesn't make a spectacle of every minor infraction. And bungle the handling of every large one.

Kraft is exactly what Jones says he is. I have not and will never forgive Kraft for how cowardly he was when the GOAT had his reputation destroyed. He chose profit over principle
It's really conflicting.

I mean the man could've just went ahead and not bought our team, and you'd be rooting for a purple and gold team in St. Louis named the Stallions right now. :cool:

My take on Bob is that Myra was always the spine in the relationship when she was alive. She was the one who made bold decisions, like when she had that one player kicked off the team. (name escapes me)

Once she passed on, he sort of lost that. Bob just doesn't have it in him. I'm disappointed that he didn't support Brady to the extent that he should have, but I can't crucify the guy.

- Part of the problem is, either intentionally or unintentionally, Goodell hasn't found someone to groom as a successor the way Tagliabue did with him

What "grooming" is Goodell going to give his successor?

"Listen, kid. You have all the leverage in the world, unlimited power, and no accountability for your mistakes. There's simply no realistic concern of 'overplaying your hand.' Go get 'em, tiger!"

Stupid or desperate. The only other assumption is that Goodell has some sort of blackmail on some well placed sources.

and in that case, I would do the exact same thing......if it wasn't for the NFL, where would he be....he's not even a lawyer

and in that case, I would do the exact same thing......if it wasn't for the NFL, where would he be....he's not even a lawyer
Arby's maybe? After all they do have the meats.

As long as this remains a power struggle between Jones and Goodell, Goodell will win. During Deflategate, Kraft determined that he had no support among the owners when he arrived at the SF meeting. The entire sham was a product of other owners' jealousy and Kraft quickly learned that they were not going to break ranks to support him, even if half of them knew that Grigson and Kensil, aided and abetted by the Ravens, concocted the whole charade with Mort.

Unless Jones can get other powerful owners to support him, he will lose. So far, that does not seem to be happening. If it doesn't happen, it's just a matter of how much blood is spilled before an ugly end.

As long as this remains a power struggle between Jones and Goodell, Goodell will win. During Deflategate, Kraft determined that he had no support among the owners when he arrived at the SF meeting. The entire sham was a product of other owners' jealousy and Kraft quickly learned that they were not going to break ranks to support him, even if half of them knew that Grigson and Kensil, aided and abetted by the Ravens, concocted the whole charade with Mort.

Unless Jones can get other powerful owners to support him, he will lose. So far, that does not seem to be happening. If it doesn't happen, it's just a matter of how much blood is spilled before an ugly end.
Jerry needs to woo a new commish and that person be light years better than ****bag

Jerry needs to woo a new commish and that person be light years better than ****bag

Not if it's Bill Polian. You think things are bad now with Goodell? Wait until you get a load of Commissioner Polian.

Owners have GOT to be kidding me with concern that Goody has not "groomed" a successor. This is a benefit, not a problem, especially given their stated concerns about bloat, etc. at NFL corporate office.
Goodell is not a lawyer and lacks any business experience. His only job has been NFL.
As someone who has started companies and done executive searches I'm incredulous that the 32 bozos can't seem to find an experienced manager with good public relations skills, contract skills and employee (union) negotiating experience that would fit the bill.
I'm gobsmacked.

I don't call people ****ies, but come on. Saying you're going to make Kraft look like one is like saying you're going to make Brady look good. The deed is already done.

Owners have GOT to be kidding me with concern that Goody has not "groomed" a successor. This is a benefit, not a problem, especially given their stated concerns about bloat, etc. at NFL corporate office.
Goodell is not a lawyer and lacks any business experience. His only job has been NFL.
As someone who has started companies and done executive searches I'm incredulous that the 32 bozos can't seem to find an experienced manager with good public relations skills, contract skills and employee (union) negotiating experience that would fit the bill.
I'm gobsmacked.

I have my M.B.A. and have experience at all of the above. I'd gladly do the job for roughly a quarter of the price that Goodell is CURRENTLY getting and I don't need the private jet. Maybe I should apply?

I'm a Piscean working for scale...

I'm gobsmacked.

So I take it you missed how much Goodell gets paid :D

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back