PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jerry Jones won't sue...

DarrylS

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
This sad saga of NFL inner workings looks like it coming to an end, Jerry has decided to drop his promised law suit against Goodell and the league... he still is advocating for disbanding of the Competition Committee.. Jerry can fade to black and reserve his tantrumming in private..

And despite the rhetoric and bantering, no one can clearly articulate what would have been accomplished if Kraft took a different posture on the spygate and deflategate... given the current language of the contract and how it has been upheld by the Court system does not appear much would have been accomplished..

Of course there are those who would want the SCOTUS to make a final decision, there are no guarantees that they would even consider this case and let the decision of the lower court stand.

Jerry Jones says he won’t sue over Goodell contract

All-hat-no-cattle.jpg

Fine, Jones is a disgusting pervert whose head can't fit through the Cowboys Stadium entrance. But at the very least Jones shone some light on the pathetic and grossly disturbing Goodell extension and those that just want to let him run the business into the ground....unlike some owners who always think Goodell is doing "a good job."

An enemy of my enemy, is my friend.

I’m rooting hard for Jones to give Goodell his comeuppance. I don’t care how he does it. I just wish Kraft wasn’t such a ****y & would seize this opportunity to get his just revenge.

This sad saga of NFL inner workings looks like it coming to an end, Jerry has decided to drop his promised law suit against Goodell and the league... he still is advocating for disbanding of the Competition Committee.. Jerry can fade to black and reserve his tantrumming in private..

And despite the rhetoric and bantering, no one can clearly articulate what would have been accomplished if Kraft took a different posture on the spygate and deflategate... given the current language of the contract and how it has been upheld by the Court system does not appear much would have been accomplished..

Of course there are those who would want the SCOTUS to make a final decision, there are no guarantees that they would even consider this case and let the decision of the lower court stand.

What fun will that be? I vote for more drama. It's just too entertaining.

An enemy of my enemy, is my friend.

I’m rooting hard for Jones to give Goodell his comeuppance. I don’t care how he does it. I just wish Kraft wasn’t such a ***** & would seize this opportunity to get his just revenge.

How would have Kraft gotten his "just revenge"?? The legal proceedings for #12 bore out the futility to deal with this in the legal system..

Perhaps he could have said some feel good angry words to appease some the masses.. but at the end of the day nothing would have changed, article 46 is bulletproof the courts verified that in the Brady and Elliot cases.

Reposting since this is now a two thread discussion.

Got it. Fighting for an innocent man is no longer feasible because we are a bunch of chicken **** ass wholes who can be swayed by the elite and powerfully corrupt garbage scum. I'm so glad you, the inlightened intelligent ones, still vote.

I truly believe that those who think capitulation was the appropriate response also believe that Brady was at some level complicit in deflategate. Why would accepting Kraft' s response make sense otherwise?

Funny how these millionaires with world class lawyers end up deciding not to sue the NFL while nearly every legal expert says their chances are next to nothing. Successful people make calculated risks, not risk for the sake of risk. They aren't going to make themselves into Al Davis level pariah's for a lawsuit where the most likely scenario is a judge reads the NFL bylaws and dismisses the case.

Funny how these millionaires with world class lawyers end up deciding not to sue the NFL while nearly every legal expert says their chances are next to nothing. Successful people make calculated risks, not risk for the sake of risk. They aren't going to make themselves into Al Davis level pariah's for a lawsuit where the most likely scenario is a judge reads the NFL bylaws and dismisses the case.

If you believe that someone in the NFL's front office decided to put that video of Jones out (and I believe that was the source), then clearly they were feeling some sort of heat. Otherwise that response wouldn't have been necessary. Goodell will get his extension and some job security for now, but the light has been shown on what a joke it is at the very least and he'll last until the next CBA negotiation. After that point, should the trend continue in the direction it's going, the ratings will be continuing to decline, they'll be losing sponsors, and they'll be losing money. Can't have that happen and a scapegoat will be needed. That scapegoat will be Goodell. In the meantime, Kraft...

1. Backed down over Spygate.

2. Backed Goodell, publicly, over his handling of punishing the Cowboys and the Redskins in the uncapped year.

3. Backed Goodell, publicly, over his handling of the Ray Rice video.

4. Backed Goodell, publicly, over his handling of Adrian Peterson's case.

5. Backed down over Deflategate punishment.

6. Was seen embracing Goodell in a hug before the Patriots/Giants contest in 2015.

7. Backed Goodell in his dispute with Jerry Jones over Elliott's suspension.

8. Will be an integral reason why Goodell gets his extension.

BUT HE WUN... TEAM WAS LOOSER S B4 HE CAME ALONG LOLL. Either way you want to look at it, Kraft has largely enabled the most incompetent commissioner in the history of American sports. You all that can't separate the good from the bad can blindly back him on this one all you want. Maybe he might write you into the will. But there's no disputing that he went out of his way to back Goodell when he didn't need to. When mere silence would have sufficed.

There is such a thing as a moral victory. Kraft had taken the beating for pushing Deflategate as far as he could, but then he decided to chose the 32 over his team, and ended up with both a pissed off NFL who largely ignores him and a pissed off fan base who now largely ignores all the good he's done for the team because they don't like having a "p*ssy" for an owner. Don't believe me? Just look at the responses to the threads here. The terrible thing is that it didn't have to go down this way. He could have said "The system is rigged so I won't fight this in court, but Goodell, you're on notice!" and then everyone would know whose side he was on.

Either way you want to look at it, Kraft has largely enabled the most incompetent commissioner in the history of American sports. You all that can't separate the good from the bad can blindly back him on this one all you want. Maybe he might write you into the will. But there's no disputing that he went out of his way to back Goodell when he didn't need to. When mere silence would have sufficed.
That's the thing -- Jerruh is right: Goodell is way overpaid for what he delivers, and his contract should have a lot of conditional money based on performance metrics.

Unfortunately Jerruh really screwed up his handling of the situation. He himself voted to hand the matter off to the Compensation Committee, he refused the offer of a seat on that Committee, and he left himself open to accusations of being vengeful after the Elliott suspension.

Now, one of the best opportunities to be rid of Goodell has been squandered.

Goodell has made his era be all about player behavior and has cost the NFL millions and millions of dollars fighting stupid lawsuits just to gain power over something they should not have involved themselves in all along. The 'bad actors' soon get weeded out of the league without any real need to get involved (see Hardy, Greg and Rice, Ray). There's enough 'conduct detrimental' language to suspend players when they are being investigated by the legal system and enough ways to simply part company with them when it's clear they are bad actors. No need for Lisa Fridels making million dollar salaries and building themselves an empire within the league offices. Every other league has figured this out except Goodell's NFL.

If Jerruh was as wise as he is claimed to be, he would be grooming a viable successor for Goodell capable of winning the support of at least half the other owners, and be ready to insert him when the next opportunity comes along, which we know it will.

Last edited:
See Kraft had no other reasonable options and after making a fool of himself Jerry now realizes it too.

Is there a reason you posted this in an appropriate thread and then also created a new one?
As far as 'no one can clearly articulate what would have been accomplished if Kraft took a different posture" I'll copy what i posted in the other thread that wholly disputes that, quoted below.

As far as Jones, he had no lawsuit to file. He voted to allow the Compensation committee to work out the deal, then said he was going to sue because they did what he voted to allow them to do. And he knew that, it was all PR.
But the Cowboys were not penalized. Kraft had different circumstances and options than Jones. Jones essentially said he was going to file a lawsuit because he was pissed off, so he found some reason to file one. Kraft had a legitimate one, but once he refused to appeal at all, he gave away that possiblity.

I think you mean Compensation Committee not Competition Committee

How can the standard be that someone must clearly articulate how something that wasn't attempted would turn out?
No one knows. I can 'clearly articulate' many possiblilities, but as we saw in Bradys 2 trials, no one can predict what would happem.

However, let me 'clearly articulate' some possibilities.

1) Had Kraft put up a fight over Spygate, which we can all agree was not even a violation, even if he lost, he could have set a tone with the new commissioner that he was not someone who would bend over when made a target.
2) Had he proceeded with a relationship with Goodell as what you should have with someone who unjustly screwed you to build their reputation, instead of hugging him at every opportunity and signing his praises, he probably would not have been an easy mark.
3) Had he inserted himself into the investigation on Deflategate early, he may have turned the tide. First, it is obscene that he allowed the league to refuse to refute the report of the actual measurements. A McDonalds assistant manager should have been able to handle that one, with the people that work in the league office of the league he owns 1/32 of.
4) Had he appealed the penalty he could have actually done something with the response to the Wells report that was not mere pr bs. Introducing all of those facts and science at an appeal hearing couldn't be ignored. Even if he lost, the evidence he submitted would have been folded into the Brady appeal, and then been part of his court case. Instead Brady went to court with the only 'evidence' being the Wells report and Goodells love of it.
5) Had 4 happened perhaps Justice Douchebag would not have found the evidence compelling if not overwhelming.
6) Had he accepted Bradys request to appear as a witness at his trial, perhaps he would have had an impact other than looking like he was distancing himself from a guilty man while publicly saying things like "I hope all our players will be able to play".
7) Had he publicly denounced Goodell perhaps it might have had an impact, perhaps not, but if nothing else it would have made fans feel better and would have had a chance to get him out of the job. Publicly praising him and blaming the lawyers isnt getting us a new commissioner who doesnt live to target this team for things it didn't do.

There are more, but those are a few 'clearly articulated; items, none of which would have had any negative impact whatsoever on him or his franchise.

Last edited by a moderator:
If my kid gets bullied in school I'll just tell him, "just give him a hug and he'll leave you alone". :eek:

If my kid gets bullied in school I'll just tell him, "just give him a hug and he'll leave you alone". :eek:
Then he can say there was a long range objective that no one can explain, and claim a win!!!!!

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Back