PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL owner Mafia meeting drama

Status
Not open for further replies.
To add to your point, the international talent pool has increased both in numbers and quality since the early 90s. Not that many HoFs but certainly some All-Stars.

I would agree the 2019 Raptors would give the 1987 Lakers all they could handle but I don't think as much as people think. Defense is not existent now and I don't particularly think the skill level now is better then. Physically no question. A GOAT defender like Michael Cooper would still have serious problems and nightmares facing Kawhi Leonard.
That 2019 was very solid on D and Cooper looks like a middle schooler in today’s era. In fact, Middle school LeBron would have out benched him…

That 2019 was very solid on D and Cooper looks like a middle schooler in today’s era. In fact, Middle school LeBron would have out benched him…
Coop would have no chance vs Lebron. Zero. Just like he had no chance vs Larry 35 years ago.

The counter would be that your country has added over 100M people since the mid eighties and that number of citizens should make up for the four added teams. Both in fans and talent.

To add : teams are much smarter about building a roster and FA has also played a huge part. Steroids and trading play a role as well. No one would ever suggest the 2019 Raptors are anything more than a VG champ. But they would wipe the floor vs dynasties from 40+ years ago. Wouldn’t even be close.
While i agree with your point about there being more people, i don't agree that teams from this era would wipe the floor with lets say the 1960s celtics. Those teams had a much deeper starting rotation and bench, those teams were full of future HOFs

While i agree with your point about there being more people, i don't agree that teams from this era would wipe the floor with lets say the 1960s celtics. Those teams had a much deeper starting rotation and bench, those teams were full of future HOFs
I think those Celtics teams would win « if everything was equal ». I am talking about « as is ». If you think athletes of the 60s have any chance at all vs the steroid / HGH freaks of today, we’ll need to agree to disagree. I was referring to a recent champ (2019 raptors that I happened to watch a lot), not the worst team of today. And yes, I think the 2019 raptors would sweep the 60s Celtics and make them look silly.

(Again : if those 60s players had the nutritional and steroidal and medical and coaching advantages of the present - you are right. You only need to watch that footage of Ruth and Gehrig whiffing like school boys to see that HoFer is relative to the era…)

I think those Celtics teams would win « if everything was equal ». I am talking about « as is ». If you think athletes of the 60s have any chance at all vs the steroid / HGH freaks of today, we’ll need to agree to disagree. I was referring to a recent champ (2019 raptors that I happened to watch a lot), not the worst team of today. And yes, I think the 2019 raptors would sweep the 60s Celtics and make them look silly.

(Again : if those 60s players had the nutritional and steroidal and medical and coaching advantages of the present - you are right. You only need to watch that footage of Ruth and Gehrig whiffing like school boys to see that HoFer is relative to the era…)
The players on those team were just as tall, just as quick if not quicker because they weren't as bulky,and could pass and shoot just as well. There were just more of them on those teams. If you want to use football instead, i would agree that for ex. the Tampa Bay Butt Pirates would kick the hell out of the 60s green bay packers or the steelers of the seventies. Todays players are just bigger and faster, and in football size counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back