PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jerry Jones impeding Roger Goodell's contract negotiations

Sadly I feel much of the damage is done. This useless walking communications degree has already secured over $100 million during his tenure. This will ensure the survival of his wretched line for at least a few generations, whereas if there were any justice, his lineage would be wiped from the face of the earth.
Already over $200M, according to TFA...

There is no reason for the owners to give Goodell contract negotiations. He has shown to be either clueless or vindictive, and inconsistent; and there is no way his skillset is tough to replace.

I have no idea why Kraft worships him; or why owners are giving him so much money. Sure NFL revenue is up, but I'm guessing Goodell has had near 0 to do with it.

Give the job to someone who understands fairness and is intelligent.

That is beautifully stated.
Unfortunately, you are going on the assumption the owner$ care about fairne$$ or intelligence.

Everyone wants Goodell to get his but Jerrah is a hypocrite, he told Brady to accept his punishment so if he's a man of his word he should do the same.
Although didn't Kraft tell Jerry to accept his punishment on salary cap violations before that too? (I could be wrong, my memory on that point is hazy)

Everyone wants Goodell to get his but Jerrah is a hypocrite, he told Brady to accept his punishment so if he's a man of his word he should do the same.
That's the wonderfully cynical aspect of making the issue be about Roger's pay package rather than the way he handles discipline.

Many have argued for a long time that Goodell is over paid, and it's hard to argue that point.

Personally I'd love to see a NFL without Goodell, but definitely have my concerns about replacing him with whomever Jerrah would be picking.

Ding, Ding. Give that man a cigar. That is the ONLY reason.

The NFL was in single-digit billions (with a B) three or four years ago in terms of gross revenue. It's doing >14B in gross now. I remember in the early Pats SB years, it was more like $4 B.

To the League*, he's not anything symbolic, he's a CEO. They could give two bowel movements if the league becomes rollerball or WWE, with that kind of revenue growth.

He's bad at his job if you follow the sport. He's good at his job if you want plotlines and irrelevant eye candy... he gives you angels and demons, storylines, etc., on a regular basis. Football has quasi-political "issues" that you can angrily tweet about. There's lots of swag to buy if you have more money than sense ("color rush," anybody?), and there are great graphics with their own signature "whoosh" and "chunk" noises, so it's not really a game on TV anymore, it's more like an action movie. Hell, there's even a transformer robot somehow inseparable from the game on one network. The telestrator's gone, replaced with 3-D Madden-like breakdowns. We've always watched it for its entertainment value, and now it's turned the corner from sport to reality TV/soap opera/action movie etc. Any entertainment form we'll buy is what they're selling.

I think ultimately the concussion issue is going to kill the game, no matter what else happens with it, and you younger guys will be N.E. Revolution fans or something by the time you're a middle aged old fart like me.

Would be hesitant to claim that Jones is some sort of hero, after all he was in agreement for the Brady suspension and hopped on that bandwagon..

Jones is no more than an opportunistic businessman, and now that Goodell is f...ing with his "product" he is situationally outraged.. when he is concerned about all of the injustices in the NFL then I will think differently about him..

When Brady was suspended last year, Jones uttered this about Goodell: “his best qualities is fairness”

Doesn't feel so great when the shoe's on the other foot, huh Jerrah? I say good - at least somebody has the cajones to stand up to Goodell for his BS. Too bad it isn't our owner.

Did Mike Tomlin get in the way too?

Must be nice to have an owner with a spine.

Jones is no more than an opportunistic businessman, and now that Goodell is f...ing with his "product" he is situationally outraged.. when he is concerned about all of the injustices in the NFL then I will think differently about him..

Ding Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner! We should also add he's an immoral and corrupt human being.

Ding Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner! We should also add he's an immoral and corrupt human being.
Exactly.

Anyone who thinks JJ has principles, character , ethics and morals is sorely mistaken.

Based on what I have read this is all about Jerry thinking Roger doesn't earn his keep and making sure he knows who really runs the NFL.

In the end Goody will get his deal and the $13b NFL will run as it always has....printing money.

Voting for a commissioner is one of those things where he gets 80% support or he gets 20%. If Goodell's support was really 20-12, he'd be out -- because most people in any organization want a consensus.

So, if the contract is renewed, the vote will be expressed as no worse than 30-2. If not, Goodell would say he decided to retire, I can't see anything other than one of those two options.

Considering how the NFL owners collectively try to squeeze every last dollar they can out of NFL customers, I do find it a bit odd that they would pay Goodell as much as they do. I would think that they would be able to find some up and coming exec with an MBA and semi-relevant business experience to take the position for half as much money. Factor in the additional unnecessary costs from their various investigations and court cases, that's about an extra million dollars in every owner's pockets every year.

Of course the problem for the 32 is that any potential applicant is going to expect to make the same kind of money that Roger did, so that is probably not a realistic expectation.

Jones is doubling down on why he supported Goodell in the psi case.

Why Jerry Jones has every right to rip Roger Goodell over Ezekiel Elliott's case

It clearly took the NFL’s incompetency to affect one of his players for Jones to fully grasp what is going on. A close look at the sausage-making of NFL investigations tends to do that.

Jones, for instance, dismissed Elliott’s case was in any way similar to the deflate-gate case that ended with a four-game suspension of New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady for his role in a supposed scheme to lower the inflation levels of footballs. In the end, the league was ridiculed for its duplicity and lack of evidence in making the ruling.

“Well, [deflate-gate] was about whether or not the player had misrepresented to the commissioner,” Jones said. “We’ve got rules that if you don’t tell the truth to the commissioner, then you can get sanctioned. Those are rules.

what an egomaniacal whackjob...BRADY lied to the Omissioner? Brady? Brady performed...the lying came in a torrent of back stabbing scumbaggery by Goodell's media pawns. Poor Mort, eh? Dying of cancer..."leave the poor guy alone!" screamed the entire staff of sports center at FESPN. Oh wait...suddenly cured!!!..." All over now, Mort is back! You can trust Mort!" This rat ****in' scumbag liar shytheel can't croak fast enough for MY liking. This coming from a cancer survivor. I HATE that azzole.

Considering how the NFL owners collectively try to squeeze every last dollar they can out of NFL customers, I do find it a bit odd that they would pay Goodell as much as they do. I would think that they would be able to find some up and coming exec with an MBA and semi-relevant business experience to take the position for half as much money. Factor in the additional unnecessary costs from their various investigations and court cases, that's about an extra million dollars in every owner's pockets every year.

Of course the problem for the 32 is that any potential applicant is going to expect to make the same kind of money that Roger did, so that is probably not a realistic expectation.

That's a good point. The NFL doesn't have enough money for goal line cameras, but they can pay one person $40 million every year. And that one person has hired a bunch of people for newly created executive vice president positions that has to eat up several million dollars annually. Considering how stingy the owners are at the negotiating table, it seems out of character that they have no issues with Goodell's salary.

There is no reason for the owners to give Goodell contract negotiations. He has shown to be either clueless or vindictive, and inconsistent; and there is no way his skillset is tough to replace.

I have no idea why Kraft worships him; or why owners are giving him so much money. Sure NFL revenue is up, but I'm guessing Goodell has had near 0 to do with it.

Give the job to someone who understands fairness and is intelligent.

If anything the changes he has made and actions he has taken (or not taken) have hurt the popularity of the league. Right now we are seeing some very bad football. Not sure how entertaining that is. Does anyone think that he is attracting more fans with his handling of things like the Ray Rice and Josh Brown incidents?

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back