PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

J. Kraft: Jones told us to "take your medicine"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it does bring up the broader question of whether "Belichickian Theory" is what truly influenced Kraft's handling of Defamegate in the end.

I'm not fully sure. I think a large part of it, of course, is Kraft's desire to be liked by the boys in the billionaires club, but this also does seems to be a very Belichick influence of just going ahead and focusing on the next fundamental.

Probably a mixture of both.

No. Belichick would never have folded like kraft did. It’s insane to imply that.

Because replacing the Commissioner is the last thing on Kraft's mind.

Think about it. Burnt hand shuns the fire. Kraft taught Goodell not to mess with the Patriots franchise. He knows that there are consequences if he pushes a vendetta against the Pats too far.
You are kidding right? Kraft literally bent over and let goodell rape his franchise. Twice.
How is what already happened not pushing it too far?
We lost 2 first round picks, a 4th, a couple million bucks and Brady lost 4 games out of his career FOR DOING NOTHING
I’m curious what you think kraft would consider pushing it too far? Is he drawing the line at being sentenced to death?

You are kidding right? Kraft literally bent over and let goodell rape his franchise. Twice.
How is what already happened not pushing it too far?
We lost 2 first round picks, a 4th, a couple million bucks and Brady lost 4 games out of his career FOR DOING NOTHING
I’m curious what you think kraft would consider pushing it too far? Is he drawing the line at being sentenced to death?

I really don't know what you and those who agree with you expected Kraft to do. He had zero effective options. At least cutting a deal with Goodell gave him a chance to salvage the situation, even if it ultimately didn't work. Going to the mat for Brady would ultimately accomplish nothing, Goodell had made it clear that this was a hill he was prepared to die on and Kraft didn't have nearly enough power or influence to stop him doing so.

Strategically his only viable option was to attempt to turn the whole thing into a briar patch. Let him have your way, try to turn the whole thing to his advantage, in other words. And that, through accident or design, he accomplished. That strategy is best accomplished by appearing disarmingly meek while you measure out the rope on which your opponent will hang himself. And either through Kraft's design or Goodell's idiocy, that's exactly what the Commissioner's Office did.

I don't like it either, @Wordsmyth . That's why I'm done with this team and this league when Brady retires. I don't want anything to do with the 32 ever again.

I'd also take Kraft over Jones in an instant. I can't believe others would prefer Jones based on this one item (standing taller against Goodell).
For one, recalling the beginning, Kraft quickly learned he didn't know jack about football and best to leave it to the pros. It took Jones a long long long time and I'm not sure he has learned it yet.
Until it's time for a change an owner should be seen and not heard when it comes to player personnel, coaching personnel, in game decision making. Hell I think even Snyder finally figured out that one...
Especially when it's all ******** and bluster and doesn't amount to jack or ****.

No. Belichick would never have folded like kraft did. It’s insane to imply that.
I disagree. Belichick has one of the best strategic minds I've ever had the pleasure of seeing in action. If the broader objective was satisfied by bending to the situation and then looking for ways to turn it to his advantage I would expect Bill to realize that quickly and not send good time, money and effort after bad, and begin to plan the turnaround.

Given the premise that someone felt that continuing to fight a losing battle against Deflategate was a wasted effort, I could very much see Belichick being "on to Cincinatti" about the whole thing, taking that premise, and working on how to build a winning strategy from that point.

The battle is the old guard vs. the new. The new could rattle the old guard by shytcanning Baddy but it would have to be by a consensus...one that would leave House Mara and House Rooney ally-less. Without their historical influence, the NFL COULD move forward , back to the lush , green green grass of success under the implied leadership of the new guard. This of course would spell certain doom for Stokely Stokoe. He and Mrs. MostObviousRatWifeInHumanHistory would have to rely on the charity of their families. What I hear is Goody is quite estranged from the rest of HIS family.

Perhaps Kraft WAS really super-pi$$ed but was suddenly talked out retributive retaliation by someone with a BETTER idea.Someone YOUNGER. After all, Bob IS getting on. The 2020's and 30's belong to the NEW BREED owners, the YOUNG BLOODS. The billionaires who take the league into TRILLION LAND.Gee whiz, now I wonder who the goofy goona gee gee gaa gaa THAT person can be?? Hmmmmm? Any ideas?

Yes the owners meeting is coming fast. I cannot wait. Scumbagdell is the ****old who comes in from out of the cold to find his golden parachute is nothing but a river of pi$$. The new blood will double orchiectomy this living turd, install a new commissioner with the actual requisite skills to not only run but EXPAND the NFL golden goose...and Rooney and Mara will sign on to this, stating in public "there had to be a change" when the reality is, go along to get along...or get OUT. THAT is the implied threat Jerry Jones is making. T me, the whole bunch of fools are being played by a cabal of NEW money and new bloodlines. I've met Jonathan Kraft...close enough to look in his eyes. This guy is a KILLER. He's smart AND he's cold blooded. That wasn't Bob Kraft that turned the east endzone into a game long ****tail party, exiling long time season ticket holders to all points in ths stands. THAT was Jonathan. Business. "You a Patriot fan all your life, you pay for EZ seats? Nice. Too bad. Now take it or leave it".

I've been watching Mara whenever I get the chance. He seems nervous. He's got that trapped animal look in his eyes all the time. He HAD forged an alliance with the Rich Cracka Owner group headed by Jerruh. THAT is gone, long gone now. Rooney's Steelers are living large right now. He's not about to do a damn thing to rock the boat going forward. Look at the people, the owners, that are laying in the weeds...Paul Allen,Brian Glazer, Dan Snyder,Arthur Blank, the Pegulas...these are business Genghis Khans poised at the gates to 345 P{ark Avenue. I think we see an ending to Godfather 1 coming at these meetings in 2020.

Not one person involved in railroading the team suffered a single negative consequence. Not even one.

Not 100% accurate. I heard a story about Goodell being refused service at a restaurant owned by a diehard Patriot fan. Rumor suggested the restaurant owner said "no soup for you, one year!".

This sad saga of NFL inner workings looks like it coming to an end, Jerry has decided to drop his promised law suit against Goodell and the league... he still is advocating for disbanding of the Competition Committee..

And despite the rhetoric and bantering, no one can clearly articulate what would have been accomplished if Kraft took a different posture on the spygate and deflategate... given the current language of the contract and how it has been upheld by the Court system does not appear much would have been accomplished..

Jerry Jones says he won’t sue over Goodell contract

This sad saga of NFL inner workings looks like it coming to an end, Jerry has decided to drop his promised law suit against Goodell and the league... he still is advocating for disbanding of the Competition Committee..

And despite the rhetoric and bantering, no one can clearly articulate what would have been accomplished if Kraft took a different posture on the spygate and deflategate... given the current language of the contract and how it has been upheld by the Court system does not appear much would have been accomplished..

Got it. Fighting for an innocent man is no longer feasible because we are a bunch of chicken **** ass wholes who can be swayed by the elite and powerfully corrupt garbage scum. I'm so glad you, the inlightened intelligent ones, still vote.

I truly believe that those who think capitulation was the appropriate response also believe that Brady was at some level complicit in deflategate. Why would accepting Kraft' s response make sense otherwise?

Got it. Fighting for an innocent man is no longer feasible because we are a bunch of chicken **** ass wholes who can be swayed by the elite and powerfully corrupt garbage scum. I'm so glad you, the inlightened intelligent ones, still vote.

I truly believe that those who think capitulation was the appropriate response also believe that Brady was at some level complicit in deflategate. Why would accepting Kraft' s response make sense otherwise?

No because he was probably advised by his legal team that he would probably lose.. as much as there is a group of fans who vehemently hate RK, I am forever grateful to his owner for completely changing the culture of the NEP..

I do not think he did it to indicate complicity, I think he did it to take the pressure off of #12 and the Pats in general... the decisions of the Court in #12's legal arguments, only verified Kraft's decision..

Article 46 is the culprit here and if they throw the players a few crumbs at the next negotiations it probably will not change as it has been "boilerplate" in the collective bargaining agreement since the 60's.. it seems as though the owners want the Commish to have this level of control., maybe throw in some due process but do not see it changing all that much.

No because he was probably advised by his legal team that he would probably lose.. as much as there is a group of fans who vehemently hate RK, I am forever grateful to his owner for completely changing the culture of the NEP..

I do not think he did it to indicate complicity, I think he did it to take the pressure off of #12 and the Pats in general... the decisions of the Court in #12's legal arguments, only verified Kraft's decision..

Article 46 is the culprit here and if they throw the players a few crumbs at the next negotiations it probably will not change as it has been "boilerplate" in the collective bargaining agreement since the 60's.. it seems as though the owners want the Commish to have this level of control., maybe throw in some due process but do not see it changing all that much.

What is with this ridiculous "all or nothing " position??

How about the fans who like Kraft, appreciate his contributions but hate that he acted like a coward during the scandals?

Did his legal team suggest that giving the Fraud a hug and praising him for the "great job" he's doing was a good idea?

Give me a break.

What? When Spygate happened Belichick admitted to everything. The next time he even brought it up publicly was when he was asked about it 7 years later at a press conference for Deflategate. And he hasn't since.

With deflategate his press conferences amounted to "I don't know, you have to ask Tom".

What? When Spygate happened Belichick admitted to everything. The next time he even brought it up publicly was when he was asked about it 7 years later at a press conference for Deflategate. And he hasn't since.

With deflategate his press conferences amounted to "I don't know, you have to ask Tom".
He admitted to things he did not to things he didn't do. I haven't heard him singing a Goodell's praises like Kraft.

Belichick is not the owner.
With Spygate, Belichick did not 'admit' to anything, he explained why he did it because of how he (correctly I might add) interpreted the memo from the league. "For use in that game" are real words, the league chose to ignore them and Kraft allowed it.
And his press conference was an explanation of the entire process of footballs are prepared, and experiments he did, while also preparing his team to win the SB. Kraft chose to end the rhetoric. Are you familiar with "Do your job". Dealing with these issues was Krafts not BBs. The poster suggested that because BB focusses on one game at a time that Kraft learned from him to give up. Thats insane

He admitted to things he did not to things he didn't do. I haven't heard him singing a Goodell's praises like Kraft.
He explained why he did what he did, which was legal based upon communication from the league.

How can the standard be that someone must clearly articulate how something that wasn't attempted would turn out?
No one knows. I can 'clearly articulate' many possiblilities, but as we saw in Bradys 2 trials, no one can predict what would happem.

However, let me 'clearly articulate' some possibilities.

1) Had Kraft put up a fight over Spygate, which we can all agree was not even a violation, even if he lost, he could have set a tone with the new commissioner that he was not someone who would bend over when made a target.
2) Had he proceeded with a relationship with Goodell as what you should have with someone who unjustly screwed you to build their reputation, instead of hugging him at every opportunity and signing his praises, he probably would not have been an easy mark.
3) Had he inserted himself into the investigation on Deflategate early, he may have turned the tide. First, it is obscene that he allowed the league to refuse to refute the report of the actual measurements. A McDonalds assistant manager should have been able to handle that one, with the people that work in the league office of the league he owns 1/32 of.
4) Had he appealed the penalty he could have actually done something with the response to the Wells report that was not mere pr bs. Introducing all of those facts and science at an appeal hearing couldn't be ignored. Even if he lost, the evidence he submitted would have been folded into the Brady appeal, and then been part of his court case. Instead Brady went to court with the only 'evidence' being the Wells report and Goodells love of it.
5) Had 4 happened perhaps Justice Douchebag would not have found the evidence compelling if not overwhelming.
6) Had he accepted Bradys request to appear as a witness at his trial, perhaps he would have had an impact other than looking like he was distancing himself from a guilty man while publicly saying things like "I hope all our players will be able to play".
7) Had he publicly denounced Goodell perhaps it might have had an impact, perhaps not, but if nothing else it would have made fans feel better and would have had a chance to get him out of the job. Publicly praising him and blaming the lawyers isnt getting us a new commissioner who doesnt live to target this team for things it didn't do.

There are more, but those are a few 'clearly articulated; items, none of which would have had any negative impact whatsoever on him or his franchise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft