PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jerruh Jones trying to block Goodell extension

Mack Herron

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Goodell extension: Owners tiring of lapdog?

"You don't get to have this many messes over the years like Roger has had and survive it," said one owner on the call.

Jerry Jones one year ago: 'I'm all for the power of the commissioner'
The real problem is that Jones so vehemently defended Goodell’s flip-flopping, inconsistent rule-enforcement in the first place. When it suited him, Jones was more than happy to defend some truly indefensible decisions by Goodell – including his almost universally criticized handling of DeflateGate and Tom Brady’s suspension
Precious.

Last edited:
Good. With the ratings down and the negative publicity they've been receiving lately, the owners will look long and hard at whether Roger is, in fact, a liability rather than asset or even if sacrificing him may help them a little. I think it would do them a lot of good to rid themselves of Roger.

I also think it's adorable that schefter still has to include Mort in his tweets to try and repair Mort's credibility.

I think that today might be an awful day for the NFL. I think the Houston players are going to do something stupid. The players are tone deaf to the fan reaction to their protests. Goodell should have nipped this last year and now it has exploded. This will not end well for either the players or the owners.

I've said a long time ago, that the NFL should have turned to a Condi Rice, or someone else who could have had instant credibility. Now they are stuck with this bafoon, who has basically let every bad thing Ray Rice, Spygate, Deflategate, Josh Brown, anthem protests, ballon into a ridiculous thing.

Mark my words, a few years from now, today might be pointed to as the beginning of the end of the NFL.

Good. With the ratings down and the negative publicity they've been receiving lately, the owners will look long and hard at whether Roger is, in fact, a liability rather than asset or even if sacrificing him may help them a little. I think it would do them a lot of good to rid themselves of Roger.

I also think it's adorable that schefter still has to include Mort in his tweets to try and repair Mort's credibility.
I bet Mort proof-read it while he was killing time on the hopper

Jerruh Jones trying to block Goodell extension

Apologies for the ESPN link, couldn't find another source reporting this right now.

Sources: Jones, owners try to halt Goodell deal

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones was a leading voice among 17 owners on a conference call Thursday to discuss the possibility of further delaying commissioner Roger Goodell's pending contract extension, sources involved with the call told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

"You don't get to have this many messes over the years like Roger has had and survive it," said one owner on the call.

Schefter reporting, though our old "friend" Mortensen has his name on it too so who knows?

Never thought I'd have mixed feelings over Goodell being possibly overthrown but that's what happens when it's spearheaded by JerryBoy.

We can probably assume Kraft doesn't like this delay. Would it be great though If he was leading this ?

So is Kraft one of the 17?

Kraft, Jones, New Orleans owner probably for the obvious reasons. Who else would want him out?

The NFL would need 24 owners to approve Goodell's ouster, and owners are skeptical that this can get accomplished. But one person involved in this week's conference call compared the NFL's current situation with Goodell to Major League Baseball's situation with Fay Vincent in September 1992, when baseball owners voted 18-9 to force him out, and replace him with Bud Selig.

The only possible similarity in this case is that there's unrest among the owners and they may vote him out. Otherwise the situation is completely different:

Fay Vincent: viewed himself as an independent commissioner representing the game, scored points with the fans over his attitude. Got himself into troubles initially by ending the owners 1990 lockout and generally resolving things in favor of the players. Couldn't work among the owners for overall consensus, so when they came to a roadblock, he decided to unilaterally pursue a course (divisional realignment) which led to his ouster.

Goodell: a pawn of the owners. Causes more PR nightmares of his own doing than any prior NFL commissioner. Has a horrible relationship with the union and had to be pulled from the last CBA negotiations because the union wouldn't deal with him anymore. When he can't get owners to come to a consensus or agree with his recommendation, he lets other factions control the floor and push their agenda through instead of fighting for his view (The LA resolution).

In short, the only similarly is that he can't seem to navigate a faction split among the owners. It's a huge deal, but while I have no love for Vincent, it's a complete insult to him to compare Goodell to him.

Why should anyone be surprised at butthurt JJ's petty actions when anything counters his self-interests? After all, domestic violence isn't nowhere as bad as a football daring to act in accordance to the natural laws of physics.

I mean, think about it.. how dare a bunch of football lose air pressure when it's just a wee bit cold out?

2014: Goodell needs to be kept because he's been making all 32 of us boatloads of $ year after year
2015 onward...NFL TV audience ratings for the 1st time this century suddenly decline year after year
Advertisers complain to networks who paid billions to the NFL that the # of eyeballs promised is not being met
2017: Goodell must go because he ruled against MY player and now it looks like he's screwed our cash cow

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back