PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 Training Camp Thread - Day 1 (7-26-18)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly think Dorsett has a shot. When given a chance last year he looked more elusive and only slightly slower than Cooks. With the ball in their hands or in the middle of field it is not even a contest between him and Cooks. Obviously that additional gear Cooks has is the elite money maker and a weapon by itself. But Dorsett could be 80% of Cooks for 20% of the price.

If Dorsett puts it together, he'll be more versatile than Cooks, even if Cooks is better at what Cooks does well. The "If" looms large right now, though. I sill love the trade, and I'm very hopeful that it pays dividends this year.

The regular season D for sure. The sucked in the playoffs. Need to wonder how good they really were as they faced some ****ty offenses during the reg season
They have faced Steelers,Saints,Panthers and Rams.All of these teams were top 10 offences.

Dorsett played the slot quite a bit last year so I don't know why his usage there is coming off as a surprise now. Rewatch the games and you will see him doing exactly what Amendola does like blocking like a beast from the slot and he is constantly sent into motion. I still like his odds.

@AtomicDawg would you please consider changing the title of this thread to "2018 Patriots Training Camp thread"?

I would be happy if all training camp news, from day one to the last day be placed in the same thread so I know where to go to catch up on all news when I'm away for a few days.

If Dorsett plays Dola's role in the slot and Edelman is back of the suspension what will be Matthews position? It is hard to imagine three of them playing slot WR.

If you want to be concerned about anything then lets start at what broke the defense the neck last year. The run defense and hoping that Shelton can give us what Branch did in 2015 and 2016. That is the key to almost everything. The secondary is pretty talented and will be fine if LBs & co. dont have to deal consistently with opponents leaking into the second level.
Went from #3 in run d and #8 in yards per rush in 2016 to #20 and #31 last year. 3/8 from a nickel base is incredible and 20/31 is pathetic.
Shelton in for branch (which means brown moves off the nose where he isn’t best utilized and guy plays less) and Hightower back (maybe the biggest difference) should fix a lot of that.
We also went from flowers, long, nink, sheard at de to a collection of young players and castoffs next to flowers who also was injured.
I think clayborn is a big addition, kind of long 2.0 but I also see Wise as having the potential to be a really good DE in our system. He is very stout at DE and has good pass rush skills for a guy as big as he is.

@AtomicDawg would you please consider changing the title of this thread to "2018 Patriots Training Camp thread"?

I would be happy if all training camp news, from day one to the last day be placed in the same thread so I know where to go to catch up on all news when I'm away for a few days.

Terrible idea

If Dorsett plays Dola's role in the slot and Edelman is back of the suspension what will be Matthews position? It is hard to imagine three of them playing slot WR.
I’m not sure I see Dorsett as an inside guy. I mean everyone gets some reps there but I don’t see him getting a lot.
We know Patterson and Britt aren’t going to be in the slot but Edelman, Matthews and hogan all can do well there.

Jeff Howe's first TC report for "The Athletic" is a doozy. I recommend it. First week is free I believe. Here's the link and a few tidbits.

Howe: What we learned from Patriots' first practice of...

• However, there was a noteworthy development. Michel took the first 11-on-11 rep of the day with Brady and the starters and caught a screen pass. Michel didn’t work with the rookie offense, which suggests the first-rounder has graduated from that group at this early stage.
    • The backup line was Isaiah Wynn, Ted Karras, James Ferentz, Cole Croston and LaAdrian Waddle. Interestingly, with Wynn as the backup left tackle, it appears there will be more of a competition at the position. The other thought, from this perspective, was Wynn could earn the starting job at left guard if he lost the competition with Brown. Remember, with Thuney out during the offseason workout program, Wynn worked as the starting left guard during minicamp.

Last edited:
If Dorsett puts it together, he'll be more versatile than Cooks, even if Cooks is better at what Cooks does well. The "If" looms large right now, though. I sill love the trade, and I'm very hopeful that it pays dividends this year.

Well this time around not with the previous Trade: Dorsett gets the OTA's and TC these things go a far way in building rapport with Brady and the system.

Dorsett working inside?? I like the versatility aspect but can he take the possible pounding that's associated with it? Let's hope Dorsett learns a thing or two from the Rams Greatest show on Turf Turtle up or down WR's.:D

Dorsett working inside?? I like the versatility aspect but can he take the possible pounding that's associated with it? Let's hope Dorsett learns a thing or two from the Rams Greatest show on Turf Turtle up or down WR's.:D

Dorsett has the speed and quicks. TBD is whether or not he has the hands, brains and balls.

I would argue the opposite: I would rather not weed through all the posts that happen overnight to find the ones that start talking about TC Day 2 news. I like keeping each day separate. It gives us a clean thread to start each day, which isn't that overwhelming for the main board IMO.

Clicking on the thread takes you to the most recent unread post, so I don't really see the difference between multiple threads and a single thread in terms of finding information readily. Search also works for specific days or time stamps.

That said, I don't really care what people do -- I just appreciate the updates. Thanks. :)

here's a similar map using facebook data:

fun fact: not one single county in the USA supports the Jets the most!

18d0rbvtdaj21png.png

Looks like there's one county on Long Island...

Woot woot! Super pumped for camp!

Not super pumped about the constant panic attacks I'll be getting whenever I read headlines that X player tweaked a hammy or something in camp

Most exciting and anxious time of year, for sure! I just hope we can make it thru camp without any serious injuries

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back