PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 Training Camp Thread - Day 1 (7-26-18)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Eric Rowe is anything more than a sufficient #3. Never have but Belichick likes him for whatever reason.

I was impressed with JJones last season.

I think that BB clearly liked Rowe - (past tense) as a prospect (and still liked him after Rowe's season in Philly and his first season here) - based on his size/measureables/tape/potential, etc. Whether or not BB "likes" Rowe (present tense) is an open question for me.

Rowe, due to various injuries, appeared in only 8 games and played only 259 snaps in 2017, after appearing in only 9 games (452 snaps) in 2016. Rowe's development overall and within the Pats' coverage schemes has been hindered by his lack of availability for practices and games. Frankly, I think that Jon Jones passed Rowe on the development curve last season.

JJ played 439 defensive snaps last season and was very good, statistically, on a per-snap/per-target basis, and also earned public praise from BB on more than one occasion.

Given how much competition there is at CB this Camp for five spots, competition that includes a pretty good veteran and a 2nd-round draft pick, and considering that Rowe doesn't play ST, I'm classifying Rowe as being on the bubble for now. There are guys that he needs to unequivocally beat in order to retain his roster spot.

Frankly, I think that Jon Jones passed Rowe on the development curve last season.

JJ played 439 defensive snaps last season and was very good, statistically, on a per-snap/per-target basis, and also earned public praise from BB on more than one occasion.

I too was mightily impressed by Jones and even more so when re-watching games, although he's not quite the same kind of a player as Rowe.

Still, he had a major injury right at the end of last season, so it's unlikely he'll be at his best this year. If he is, it would be a big bonus.

I too was mightily impressed by Jones and even more so when re-watching games, although he's not quite the same kind of a player as Rowe.

Still, he had a major injury right at the end of last season, so it's unlikely he'll be at his best this year. If he is, it would be a big bonus.

It's not clear how "major" JJ's injury was. The "hot take" reports speculated about an Achilles, but a couple days later, the consensus seemed to be "broken foot". AFAIK, he was sent to IR without any official information from the Pats as to the nature of his injury.

So we're discounting JMac because he couldn't cover a TE? If he's covering tight ends in real games that's on the coaching staff, not him.

So we're discounting JMac because he couldn't cover a TE? If he's covering tight ends in real games that's on the coaching staff, not him.

Also, a TE on the first day of training camp, which is also the first day he's really participated in team drills. Let's not give up on him just yet.

It was also in a drill not a 7 on 7 or 11 on 11 play.

@AtomicDawg would you please consider changing the title of this thread to "2018 Patriots Training Camp thread"?

I would be happy if all training camp news, from day one to the last day be placed in the same thread so I know where to go to catch up on all news when I'm away for a few days.
I'd prefer separate thread for each day

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back