PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 Training Camp Thread - Day 9 (8/4/18)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh no, I read them. I just put my trust in the Pats’ medical staff to have done their due diligence on it. Hopefully they’re right and the kid is the home run I hope he’ll be.

This team likes to gamble on "value" players. I just think that it needs to score injuries differently, or more differently, while it seems to score them all pretty much the same. The Easley and Dowling picks stand out to me for that, because of the combination of injury history and quality players remaining behind them, though they are not the only ones.

This team likes to gamble on "value" players. I just think that it needs to score injuries differently, or more differently, while it seems to score them all pretty much the same. The Easley and Dowling picks stand out to me for that, because of the combination of injury history and quality players remaining behind them, though they are not the only ones.
Yeah I’m hoping that Michel will follow the Gronk path instead of the Easley path when it comes to early round picks with notable injuries, obviously. If he doesn’t and any one of Landry, Johnson, or Guice (one at a position of need, two at the same position) pan out, then many of us will owe captain stone an apology for his post-draft reactions.

If we're healthy for the most part we'll be playing in Feb. There isn't any spots that give me concern besides #2 CB, Cannon missing time & Sony.

Yeah I’m hoping that Michel will follow the Gronk path instead of the Easley path when it comes to early round picks with notable injuries, obviously. If he doesn’t and any one of Landry, Johnson, or Guice (one at a position of need, two at the same position) pan out, then many of us will owe captain stone an apology for his post-draft reactions.

Because you brought up Gronk, I want to address what I think is a big difference between his situation and the Easley/Dowling situations. In all 3 cases, we have players with extensive injury histories. In all 3 cases, we have players being taken at the very bottom of the first, or the second round. So, at first, it would seem that talking about a difference, particularly with regards to Dowling/Gronk, would be unfair. But then we get to the issue of alternatives (leaving out theoretical talent/play ceilings, which obviously would need to be taken into account).

This is what followed the Gronk pick:

10 42 Rob Gronkowski Patriots TE Arizona
11 43 Sergio Kindle Ravens LB Texas
12 44 LaMarr Houston Raiders DT Texas
13 45 Zane Beadles Broncos G Utah
14 46 Linval Joseph Giants DT East Carolina
15 47 Daryl Washington Cardinals LB Texas Christian
16 48 Jimmy Clausen Panthers QB Notre Dame
17 49 Taylor Mays 49ers DB USC
18 50 Javier Arenas Chiefs DB Alabama
19 51 Toby Gerhart Vikings RB Stanford
20 52 Jason Worilds Steelers LB Virginia Tech
21 53 Jermaine Cunningham Patriots LB Florida
22 54 Carlos Dunlap Bengals DE Florida
23 55 Sean Lee Cowboys LB Penn State
24 56 Michael Neal Packers DT Purdue
25 57 Terrence Cody Ravens DT Alabama
26 58 Ben Tate Texans RB Auburn
27 59 Montario Hardesty Browns RB Tennessee
28 60 Golden Tate Seahawks WR Notre Dame
29 61 Vladimir Ducasse Jets G Massachusetts
30 62 Brandon Spikes Patriots LB Florida
31 63 Patrick Angerer Colts LB Iowa
32 64 Charles Brown Saints T USC

This is what followed the Dowling pick:

1 33 Ras-I Dowling Patriots DB Virginia
2 34 Aaron Williams Bills DB Texas
3 35 Andy Dalton Bengals QB Texas Christian
4 36 Colin Kaepernick 49ers QB Nevada
5 37 Jabaal Sheard Browns DE Pittsburgh
6 38 Ryan Williams Cardinals RB Virginia Tech
7 39 Akeem Ayers Titans LB UCLA
8 40 Bruce Carter Cowboys LB North Carolina
9 41 Jarvis Jenkins Redskins DT Clemson
10 42 Brooks Reed Texans DE Arizona
11 43 Kyle Rudolph Vikings TE Notre Dame
12 44 Titus Young Lions WR Boise State
13 45 Rahim Moore Broncos DB UCLA
14 46 Orlando Franklin Broncos T Miami (FL)
15 47 Lance Kendricks Rams TE Wisconsin
16 48 Stefen Wisniewski Raiders C Penn State
17 49 Benjamin Ijalana Colts T Villanova
18 50 Marcus Gilchrist Chargers DB Clemson
19 51 Da'Quan Bowers Buccaneers DE Clemson
20 52 Marvin Austin Giants DT North Carolina
21 53 Stephen Paea Bears DT Oregon State
22 54 Jaiquawn Jarrett Eagles DB Temple
23 55 Rodney Hudson Chiefs C Florida State
24 56 Shane Vereen Patriots RB California
25 57 Mikel Leshoure Lions RB Illinois
26 58 Torrey Smith Ravens WR Maryland
27 59 Greg Little Browns WR North Carolina
28 60 Brandon Harris Texans DB Miami (FL)
29 61 Jonas Mouton Chargers LB Michigan
30 62 Daniel Thomas Dolphins RB Kansas State
31 63 Marcus Gilbert Steelers T Florida
32 64 Randall Cobb Packers WR Kentucky

So there was much more talent to choose from in the 2nd round of the Dowling draft, IMO, which makes taking the questionable player more suspect.

Then, with regards to Easley, there was Tuitt sitting there and ready to be picked, and there was Demarcus Lawrence as well, for that matter.

Because you brought up Gronk, I want to address what I think is a big difference between his situation and the Easley/Dowling situations. In all 3 cases, we have players with extensive injury histories. In all 3 cases, we have players being taken at the very bottom of the first, or the second round. So, at first, it would seem that talking about a difference, particularly with regards to Dowling/Gronk, would be unfair. But then we get to the issue of alternatives (leaving out theoretical talent/play ceilings, which obviously would need to be taken into account).

This is what followed the Gronk pick:

This is what followed the Dowling pick:

So there was much more talent to choose from in the 2nd round of the Dowling draft, IMO, which makes taking the questionable player more suspect.

Then, with regards to Easley, there was Tuitt sitting there and ready to be picked, and there was Demarcus Lawrence as well, for that matter.

In Dowlings draft at least the pats made up for the mistake by bringing in both sheard and Ayers years later for a championship run. The big Screw up in Gronks draft was taking Cunningham over Dunlap. Didn’t get that one at all. Doesn’t take advanced scouting to see who the better play was at Florida.

In Dowlings draft at least the pats made up for the mistake by bringing in both sheard and Ayers years later for a championship run. The big Screw up in Gronks draft was taking Cunningham over Dunlap. Didn’t get that one at all. Doesn’t take advanced scouting to see who the better play was at Florida.

Based on the way the Pats were using Cunningham as a rookie, it seemed to me they were trying to develop him as an OLB/DE, rather than as primarily a 4-3 edge/interior-rusher. I'd guess they saw less potential for that in Dunlap. I thought Cunningham did fairly well in his rookie season in that OLB/DE role.

Then, it was Cunningham himself who eff'd it up by being a total slacker the following off-season.

So the Boys got a couple of days off lets hope some of the walking wounded start feeling better. Would like to hear that Kenny Britt and Malcolm Mitchell are among the regulars in the upcoming weeks.

Id like to see Cyrus Jones make noise as a punt returner and convert to safety where he knocks Richards off the roster.
Id like to see Allen or Tye take the next steps and give us a deep 3 tight end corps.
Id like to see our rook punter kick it out of the stadium.

Id like to see Cyrus Jones make noise as a punt returner and convert to safety where he knocks Richards off the roster.
Id like to see Allen or Tye take the next steps and give us a deep 3 tight end corps.

You'll probably get literally what you asked for in the last part.

Cy Jones already HAS made noise as a punt returner: "Oh, F**K!!, Not AGAIN!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back