PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 Training Camp Thread - Day 9 (8/4/18)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is more:

While the recovery process could extend beyond 10 days, it is not expected to affect Michel's availability for a significant portion, if any, of the regular season.

A source described the draining of the knee as more of a clean-up, referring to it as positive because it helped address some pre-existing issues.
Sources: Patriots' Michel out at least 10 days

One of the reports was the fluid drain was helping a pre-existing condition

I would think they’re talking about the torn acl and knee strain he suffered in HS and college as the pre-existing condition as to why that knee would be more apt to swelling due to a lot of running/cutting etc.

Not enough info as usual. Could have been that they said they would keep him out at least 10 days but will be cautious given his history so see how he responds...could be several weeks or more.
Which we don’t know either

Reiss report:

Draining fluid does not sound compatible with being out for a month or more. We shall see.

I think the "minimum 10-day" thing is for monitoring to see if the fluid builds back up on its own (without the potential for a practice injury to obscure that result).

Rap’s and Mike’s reports were also more optimistic. So I’m curious as to why Howe’s report is different from theirs.

Reiss is being cautiously optimistic.

Rap is all "he'll be FINE by the start of the regular season, at the very latest!"

I'll go with Reiss.

Swelling.

Yep I can attest that swelling usually precedes the draining of fluids which, although not harmful, can lead to extremely expensive complications.

Yep I can attest that swelling usually precedes the draining of fluids which, although not harmful, can lead to extremely expensive complications.
My father blew out his knee playing football in the 50s. So he had 50s era knee surgery. When he would tweak it, it would swell and they would drain it. Usually caused him to be off his feet with his leg up for a day or so.

Had fluid on the knee due to a fall. It was a very strange feeling, not painful, just strange. Draining it wasn’t a big deal.

Had fluid on the knee due to a fall. It was a very strange feeling, not painful, just strange. Draining it wasn’t a big deal.
Similar experience. As a freshman, moved the wrong way. Tweaked the kneee. It swelled up like a balloon. Couldn't walk on it at all. Had it drained. Was more or less fine the next day. Beat on it hard athletically for the next 20 or so years with no problems. It's a little cranky these days so I may have to replace it sometime in my 80s. I don't think this procedure means too much.

Same here. Had mine drained and within a day or two I was able to use the remote control and effectively switch channels while occasionally navigating to the kitchen to grab a beer or two. This shouldn't hold Michel back at all. If I can do it he can too.

Fingers crossed. Howe's report is inconsistent with Schefter's so I am not counting on anything. Guy was rated by several teams as an injury risk with bone on bone knee then doesn't make it through camp.
If that ends up being the case, it’s another black mark for the medical staff. I loved the pick and I love Michel’s game, but I don’t see how you burn a first rounder on any guy with bone on bone knee issues let alone a skill position guy. Hopefully that’s not the case because he’s a threat behind this OL if healthy and would pay immediate dividends.

If that ends up being the case, it’s another black mark for the medical staff. I loved the pick and I love Michel’s game, but I don’t see how you burn a first rounder on any guy with bone on bone knee issues let alone a skill position guy. Hopefully that’s not the case because he’s a threat behind this OL if healthy and would pay immediate dividends.
On the positive side of the ledger, he injured his knee in his sophomore year of high school and has been productive since. We don't know what medical reports Bill got, but he has certainly weighed these risks before. Sometimes you get an Easley, and sometimes you get Gronk. The up side for Michel is still sky high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes