PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 Training Camp Thread - Day 12 (8/13/18)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not "hatred". I don't "hate" the Jete. I just think their ownership is hopelessly (though, amusingly) stupid. The reason I said that Darnold looked like "The Sanchize" is that - in that game - he seemed extremely uncomfortable in the pocket, and seemed far more confident and accurate when he bolted to the outside, even when throwing on the run.

The parallel is there.

Also, "Not saying that Darnold can't get better," seems to me like it should have made it clear that I'm not predicting the same desultory career arc. However, there's another parallel - pretty much out of Darnold's control - that may make whatever "promise" he has less relevant. That circles back to Jete ownership.

If Johnson the Younger believes that the team risks losing significant revenue this season by making Bridgewater the starter over Darnold, then Darnold will start, despite any potential misgivings on the part of the coaching staff about how it might hurt his development. Again, that's not hatred. That comes from knowing what Jete ownership typically does. It's exactly what they did with (to) Sanchez.
And we can add the time-honored tradition of USC QBs being not exactly the hardest workers in the room. Distractions, and all that.

Since there isn't a new daily thread yet I will put those two things here:

Sounds like we might get maybe 2-3 series where we can properly judge some of the WRs this time.

Sounds like Rosenhaus or Gronk Inc. is leaking.

You used to say that about Edelman, too...

Is Keeping Hernandez and Gronkowski the Reason Welker is Without an Extension?

Hopefully your take on one of those two goes as swimmingly as your Edelman take a few years ago.

Let's be real though. Edelman had shown hundreds of times more at that point in time than McCarron has by now. "Edelman isn't an NFL caliber WR" was always a stupid take. "McCarron isn't an NFL caliber WR" is premature but we've seen just about no reason to believe it's not true.

Also this might be of slight importance:

I think we should set up a pool.

Do they let him play out 2019 under the current deal ($27m cap hit, $12m if gone, $0 hit in 2020) and franchise him at ~$23m in 2020?

Do they rip up 2019 and extend him through 2020?

Let's be real though. Edelman had shown hundreds of times more at that point in time than McCarron has by now. "Edelman isn't an NFL caliber WR" was always a stupid take. "McCarron isn't an NFL caliber WR" is premature but we've seen just about no reason to believe it's not true.
I agree on McCarron but it’s too early to make that proclamation for Berrios.

Do they let him play out 2019 under the current deal ($27m cap hit, $12m if gone, $0 hit in 2020) and franchise him at ~$23m in 2020?

It depends on how much Brady plays ball with respect to guarantees. 2 year deals at least give them some (limited) flexibility to play with structure a bit.

I would also not be surprised if the older Brady gets the more they try to split up various roster bonuses into stages of the preseason so they can have a good look at how much the offseason potentially affected him before he reaches the next stage of guarantees.

It all depends on how much of this Brady is comfortable with.

The one most likely to franchise Brady in 2020 would be Gisele

It depends on how much Brady plays ball with respect to guarantees. 2 year deals at least give them some (limited) flexibility to play with structure a bit.

I would also not be surprised if the older Brady gets the more they try to split up various roster bonuses into stages of the preseason so they can have a good look at how much the offseason potentially affected him before he reaches the next stage of guarantees.

It all depends on how much of this Brady is comfortable with.
I dunna know. I think they'll try to accommodate Tom as much as they can but ultimately its not what Tom is comfortable with. As it pertains to managing the cap and cash payouts its up to the team.

I was not on the board then, but something told me a quote like this existed. I was not wrong.
Quite a few of us were wrong about Edelman.

I dunna know. I think they'll try to accommodate Tom as much as they can but ultimately its not what Tom is comfortable with. As it pertains to managing the cap and cash payouts its up to the team.

That is kinda what I was attempting to say. The team will want to limit guarantees to points where they feel comfortable they can do an informed projection of him ( e.g. via OTAs or even camp) whereas he will want them guaranteed as soon as possible. If they can find some compromise (injury splits, incentives) then I see no reason why they can't continue multiyear extensions but it sounds like the current adjustment with those 5m incentives was already a months long struggle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back