PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The massive cost of trading Garappolo

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a rule people with agendas grow more and more irrational as reality keeps proving them wrong. The people who keep talking of Brady's imminent demise have been banging that drum for almost a decade and they were the ones clamoring to get rid of him in 2014 after the KC game. Like Borges and the CHB they are serially wrong and they just keep blocking out reality and insisting they are right.

I remember the first 4 games of 2014 were not the most impressive wins and the losses were bad but if you were thinking to get rid of Brady in any way shape or form, you were probably listening to this **** head.

Writer Who Said Tom Brady Is in 'Decline' Backtracked

atleast he back tracked lol.. another "hot take"

Several things:
  • No matter how much people want to put stock in Garoppolo's six quarters of production, he is a complete unknown as a starter in the NFL. And people overrrate his production in those six quarters. He was good, not great against AZ and most people overstate his production because they thought AZ was supposed to have a top defense in this league. And against Miami, they practically gave Garoppolo the quick pass and seemed to be more worried about not letting him pass down field. He has yet to see a defense game plan specifically for his strengths and weaknesses.
  • I heard Michael Holley say this week that word out of Foxboro is that they feel that Brissett is the real deal and a likely heir apparent to Brady. The coaching staff absolutely loves this guy as it is shown by them flying him to games when he was on IR and activating him off the IR list. I think the Pats are more than happy to let Garoppolo go for a king's ransom and groom Brissett to replace Brady.

His first NFL start on the road in Arizona, everyone thought they were a top 6-8 team at the time. I think JG did pretty damn good. He is not a complete unknown.

I see the talent he has and I am hearing a lot of Patriots players and coaches praising him.

We just don't know how good he is yet.. and a fair assessment is also to question his durability. But a lot of young players get hurt, Brady did.

Jimmy is the same size as Aaron Rodgers and Dak Prescott.

One year wonder Trubisky is listed at 6'3" but scouts are telling Mike Mayock he may be just over 6'1".
Watson is a pick machine
Kizer is a 60% passer (58.7% senior year)

I'm having a hard time believing QB needy teams will reach for any of these 3...but I also don't believe these needy teams will be willing to wait until the 2nd round. I expect trade downs turning this draft into a great poker game .

One year wonder Trubisky is listed at 6'3" but scouts are telling Mike Mayock he may be just over 6'1".
Watson is a pick machine
Kizer is a 60% passer (58.7% senior year)

I'm having a hard time believing QB needy teams will reach for any of these 3...but I also don't believe these needy teams will be willing to wait until the 2nd round. I expect trade downs turning this draft into a great poker game .

Naw. Those guys will be picked in the first round. They have to reach. In terms of jimmy G i want the best package available. I wouldn't settle for just two picks.

His first NFL start on the road in Arizona, everyone thought they were a top 6-8 team at the time. I think JG did pretty damn good. He is not a complete unknown.

I see the talent he has and I am hearing a lot of Patriots players and coaches praising him.

We just don't know how good he is yet.. and a fair assessment is also to question his durability. But a lot of young players get hurt, Brady did.

But Arizona ended up being a 7-8-1 team which is pretty mediocre. Garoppolo did excellent for a first time starter. But only good for a starting QB going up against an average defense.

Garoppolo is an unknown. You never know what you have at QB until teams get a book on you and they start to game plan for you and your weaknesses. Maybe saying he is a complete unknown is unfair, but his floor is still back to being a back up by 2020 to a ceiling of being a HOFer.

He played 1 1/2 games. Brissett played more last year. JG was injured on a pretty common play. Brady was injured in his 9th season at age 30. He played every game from the 2001 2d game to 2008, when Pollard injured him. Except for the suspension he's played every game since 2008.

No
We keep JAG only if we do not receive a decent trade offer for him, q.v. a 1st...

When will people discount the pick they have to merely use to replace him. That is not a bonus that is merely the replacement cost Only picks beyond that, are bonus profit picks...

• I heard Michael Holley say this week that word out of Foxboro is that they feel that Brissett is the real deal and a likely heir apparent to Brady.
Garoppolo is an unknown.

So, just to reiterate: The guy whose team was forced to run a high school offense when he played is definitely the obvious heir apparent to Brady, but the guy who has 3+ years in our system and actually looked very good running it is still an unknown?

It will be great to see if/how Brissett progresses, but I'm not as sure as you are about who the unknown is and who the heir to the Brady throne is.

He played 1 1/2 games. Brissett played more last year. JG was injured on a pretty common play. Brady was injured in his 9th season at age 30. He played every game from the 2001 2d game to 2008, when Pollard injured him. Except for the suspension he's played every game since 2008.

I wasn't talking about 2008, I was talking about 2001, Brady got hurt in the AFC C against the Steelers a high ankle sprain. He didn't miss the Super Bowl most likely because he had over 2 weeks to get ready for it. Jimmy G had just 3 days to get ready after suffering his AC joint injury and then another 7 days.. that is not enough time to recover from that. Its extremely sore and painful to even lift your arm, never mind throw a football.

I wasn't talking about 2008, I was talking about 2001, Brady got hurt in the AFC C against the Steelers a high ankle sprain. He didn't miss the Super Bowl most likely because he had over 2 weeks to get ready for it. Jimmy G had just 3 days to get ready after suffering his AC joint injury and then another 7 days.. that is not enough time to recover from that. Its extremely sore and painful to even lift your arm, never mind throw a football.

SB36 was the week after the 2001 AFCCG. Brady had a week to recover from his injury, not 2 weeks

So, just to reiterate: The guy whose team was forced to run a high school offense when he played is definitely the obvious heir apparent to Brady, but the guy who has 3+ years in our system and actually looked very good running it is still an unknown?

It will be great to see if/how Brissett progresses, but I'm not as sure as you are about who the unknown is and who the heir to the Brady throne is.
Well let me put it this way dude -- Brissett came in as an NFL rookie, with a preseason and a few weeks of practices under his belt, not nearly ready for live action and clearly way raw and underexperienced -- and still showed us good poise, courage, and intelligence. To come in ther in the second game of your NFL life, green as goose **** and probably nervous as hell? He was doing well to not be a deer in the headlights. And to keep your head, run the plays you're given and lead the offense like a pro for 2.5 games? That was lovely. Just lovely. Reports of Brissett's leadership in the locker room were also very favorable.

So he had the heart for the job, had the poise for a job, did not shrink from a responsibility he probably wasn't fully ready for, and made some good plays with his feet and arm. That's a sign I'll pay attention to at this stage in his development and ignore the gameday stats. The stats just show something we know -- one and a half live games into his NFL career the kid was raw. He hung up some W's though, and I can respect that.

They ran a high school offense because Brissett was too green in the system to master or execute Brady's system in such limited time, the receivers aren't used to him, the linesmen aren't used to him, and the team is built around an elite passing quarterback which Brissett is not, which tore a lot of pages out of the playbook, Bill was restricted to high percentage plays so that's what he used. But Brissett executed the plays Belichick called very well, he didn't surrender possession of the football, he made good decisions with the ball, he ate the clock, scored his points and turned the game over to the defense. Exactly the gameplan Belichick asked of him.

The playbook and mechanics are things that can be worked on. You can't teach heart, and while Garoppolo doesn't lack it, Brissett clearly showed that he has the heart of a champion (now just work on your arm, kid).

If the team has 2-3 years to drill Brissett into shape before Brady's gone, he'll be ready, and I think when he is, the team will have something special.

Last edited:
Well let me put it this way dude -- Brissett came in as an NFL rookie, with a preseason and a few weeks of practices under his belt, not nearly ready for live action and clearly way raw and underexperienced -- and still showed us good poise, courage, and intelligence. To come in ther in the second game of your NFL life, green as goose **** and probably nervous as hell? He was doing well to not be a deer in the headlights. And to keep your head, run the plays you're given and lead the offense like a pro for 2.5 games? That was lovely. Just lovely. Reports of Brissett's leadership in the locker room were also very favorable.

So he had the heart for the job, had the poise for a job, did not shrink from a responsibility he probably wasn't fully ready for, and made some good plays with his feet and arm. That's a sign I'll pay attention to at this stage in his development and ignore the gameday stats. The stats just show something we know -- one and a half live games into his NFL career the kid was raw. He hung up some W's though, and I can respect that.

They ran a high school offense because Brissett was too green in the system to master or execute Brady's system in such limited time, the receivers aren't used to him, the linesmen aren't used to him, and the team is built around an elite passing quarterback which Brissett is not, which tore a lot of pages out of the playbook, Bill was restricted to high percentage plays so that's what he used. But Brissett executed the plays Belichick called very well, he didn't surrender possession of the football, he made good decisions with the ball, he ate the clock, scored his points and turned the game over to the defense. Exactly the gameplan Belichick asked of him.

The playbook and mechanics are things that can be worked on. You can't teach heart, and while Garoppolo doesn't lack it, Brissett clearly showed that he has the heart of a champion (now just work on your arm, kid).

If the team has 2-3 years to drill Brissett into shape before Brady's gone, he'll be ready, and I think when he is, the team will have something special.
Yes, you make some fine points about the strengths that Brissett showed in his first year, but my point was more in the vein of thinking that Garoppolo shouldn't be as easily dismissed.

One/both/neither may prove to improve, regress, or remain on the same trajectory. Injuries will be a factor, as will luck. We have no idea, but to somehow dismiss Garoppolo while also attempting to predict Brissett's moment in the sun just seems like shaky ground to me, that's all.

SB36 was the week after the 2001 AFCCG. Brady had a week to recover from his injury, not 2 weeks

Yeah I believe you are correct but he still got dinged up and missed half the AFC C. I think Brady is tough and has played through many injuries through out the 17 years. But he is also lucky to basically not miss a single game barring 2008. Most QB's get injured and miss games alot.

Some usually less experienced QB's get injured in 1 game and they are done for weeks and get replaced or miss the entire season.

Yes, you make some fine points about the strengths that Brissett showed in his first year, but my point was more in the vein of thinking that Garoppolo shouldn't be as easily dismissed.

One/both/neither may prove to improve, regress, or remain on the same trajectory. Injuries will be a factor, as will luck. We have no idea, but to somehow dismiss Garoppolo while also attempting to predict Brissett's moment in the sun just seems like shaky ground to me, that's all.

Well what do you want us to do? Yes, Garoppolo didn't do his reputation any harm with his appearance, but we're fans. From a fan perspective what Brisset did was simply more impressive than what Garoppolo did, especially considering how green Brissett was, so as a fan, I'm actually more excited about Brissett.

There's also the fact that we're going to keep Brissett and he's going to be the guy right behind a 40 year old starter. Bracing for the departure of both Garoppolo in the next few months in all likelihood, as well as Brady in the near future as well, we need to see good signs about Brissett, because he's about to become the primary backup. So fans are (or at least I am) excited about the fact that Brissett did as well as he did.

You've also got fans bracing themselves for the departure of Garoppolo and struggling with the fact that we're going to have to say goodbye soon. That just makes it all the easier to pump Brissett's tires because after all, if Brissett is great, we won't wind up missing Garoppalo as much.

Lots of reasons to shift the conversation to Brissett just now.

When will people discount the pick they have to merely use to replace him. That is not a bonus that is merely the replacement cost Only picks beyond that, are bonus profit picks...

Bogus. JAG replacement pick was made last year.

We were going to have to replace him (or better to phrase it as find another quarterback) with one of our picks next year, anyway. Much like with the Collins trade, BB is opting to get his compensation picks for pending free agents a year early.

Bogus. JAG replacement pick was made last year.

Only one player in the NFL has received MVP votes for the last 6 seasons.

It wasn't Jimmy Garrapolo.

Tom Brady is not only the best player in football and football history, he's the only one to be in the running for MVP each of the last 6 seasons, and he has been getting better, not worse, the past three seasons. He clearly has plenty left in the tank and has shown no sign of deterioration other than in the minds of Max Kellerman, Rob Parker, and AzPatsfan. The people who want to turn to Jimmy Garrapolo are completely delusional.

Best case scenario; First rounder next year. And two second rounders this year. Give me that and il take it

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft