PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Sports media are missing the reasons and value-add to the Garappolo Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I look at Washington as just as likely as Cleveland. Big trade involving the 49ers.

Some thing is wrong that we are not aware of. For example, we've haven't heard much about Brady's restructure lately. Maybe the problem (whatever it is) gets worked out before the Draft, hopefully.

I look at Washington as just as likely as Cleveland. Big trade involving the 49ers.

Some thing is wrong that we are not aware of. For example, we've haven't heard much about Brady's restructure lately. Maybe the problem (whatever it is) gets worked out before the Draft, hopefully.

I don't think the Brady restructure is coming until after 2017.

Patriots are going to Keep Jimmy G at least thru this season and see how Brady looks by years end

Man just trade Jimmy for 12,52 and a 2nd next year that's elite return

DW, if you go back you will see that I agreed with Pissah that your post was well thought out.

I'm not sure I agree that Cleveland will cough up what you think they will but it wasn't batsh.t crazy.
Ivan. I said that in jest.
DW Toys

I made that bat sh*t crazy prediction weeks ago. Jaguars trade the #4 for Jimmy G.

Coughlin is not stupid. Unlike your typical fantasy football goof, he has actually seen Bortles play and knows he's terrible. Jimmy G for the #4 pick makes a heck of a lot more sense that wasting it on Trubisky. The prospect of adding a Marshon Lattimore or Jamal Adams is too enticing to pass up for Belichick.

This makes too much sense not to happen.
Good post. I could see a three way trade (kind of). If Coughlin sends out the smoke that Bortles can be had, you will see the Bears, Jets, Niners, Texans as well as the Browns line up. Maybe even the Cards. I guarantee you that Coughlin can secure a First Round pick back. He knows that Bortles needs a change of scenery. Player for player, both are young but Coughlin might see more of an upside to Jimmy G. He is more "Eli-ish".
Besides if Coughlin wants to be the new Sheriff, what better a trade to way up his Team. Nice targets for Jimmy G as well in JAX.
I say would not the Jets be the seem to fit. Do you think they need another unproven rookie QB on their roster?
So the 4th and a high pick in 2018 for Jimmy G and the Jags can mirror with the Jets. Or............................................................. swap Bortles for Jimmy G and let the Pats take the bids.
DW Toys

Good post. I could see a three way trade (kind of). If Coughlin sends out the smoke that Bortles can be had, you will see the Bears, Jets, Niners, Texans as well as the Browns line up. Maybe even the Cards. I guarantee you that Coughlin can secure a First Round pick back. He knows that Bortles needs a change of scenery. Player for player, both are young but Coughlin might see more of an upside to Jimmy G. He is more "Eli-ish".
Besides if Coughlin wants to be the new Sheriff, what better a trade to way up his Team. Nice targets for Jimmy G as well in JAX.
I say would not the Jets be the seem to fit. Do you think they need another unproven rookie QB on their roster?
So the 4th and a high pick in 2018 for Jimmy G and the Jags can mirror with the Jets. Or............................................................. swap Bortles for Jimmy G and let the Pats take the bids.
DW Toys

The problem with that is finding a team willing to take Bortles. Maybe some clueless owner would be enamored with him based on his stat numbers but any coach worth his salt is going to be screaming "hell no!" to any trade for Bortles!

Good post. I could see a three way trade (kind of). If Coughlin sends out the smoke that Bortles can be had, you will see the Bears, Jets, Niners, Texans as well as the Browns line up. Maybe even the Cards. I guarantee you that Coughlin can secure a First Round pick back.
No way Bortles gets a first rounder back for Jax.

I would like to suggest another would be Jimmy G trade scenario...

The word on the streets is that SF is looking to move out of the #2 slot, because of all their glaring needs, DE is not one of them. There have been rumors of SF and Carolina swapping picks 2 and 8. Let's just assume that this trade happens and Carolina sends picks #8 and #64 to SF for #2 with that Carolina selects either one of the elite DE's Allen from Bama or Thomas from Stanford.

I actually had to look at SF roster to even know who their QB is, they have signed both Hoyer and Matt Barkley so take your pick. So my trade is Jimmy and Amendola (there is a reason the pats haven't restricted him yet, I think BB is looking to package him with Jimmy G and let Amendola get his 6 million salary for this year) to SF for picks 8 and 64.

Its a more than fair trade, SF gets a starting QB and a slot WR that he is already familiar with. The Pats get pick 8 and 64.

Imagine what the Pats could find at #8? Foster?, Fournette? or move down for even more picks.

Sorry. I can tell from the posts that this thread has been up for a while, but I just saw it for some reason...

"...the Garoppolo trade"???

Has there actually been a trade? Or is this just part of the endless speculation and discussion about "a possible Garoppolo trade?"

The word on the streets is that SF is looking to move out of the #2 slot, because of all their glaring needs, DE is not one of them. There have been rumors of SF and Carolina swapping picks 2 and 8. Let's just assume that this trade happens and Carolina sends picks #8 and #64 to SF for #2 with that Carolina selects either one of the elite DE's Allen from Bama or Thomas from Stanford.

I actually had to look at SF roster to even know who their QB is, they have signed both Hoyer and Matt Barkley so take your pick. So my trade is Jimmy and Amendola (there is a reason the pats haven't restricted him yet, I think BB is looking to package him with Jimmy G and let Amendola get his 6 million salary for this year) to SF for picks 8 and 64.

Its a more than fair trade, SF gets a starting QB and a slot WR that he is already familiar with. The Pats get pick 8 and 64.

Imagine what the Pats could find at #8? Foster?, Fournette? or move down for even more picks.

I think your thought process could make sense. But a new development! With Romo retiring an hour ago, now they QB frenzy just increased.
The Texans are now in trouble. In a statement just today Billy O said that it is hard for a rookie QB to get going in the NFL and the Texans are a playoff Team with no QB. He has seen enough of Tom Savage to know nyet on that guy.

So the Texans are more needy than the Niners who just signed two stop gap QB's this off season and can wait until the 2018 (suck for Luckish) for one of the much better 2018 QB class. Why?The GM and coach have new 6 year contracts.

I think most Teams Drafting in the Top Ten that need a QB (Browns, Bears and perhaps the Niners...Jets aren't happening for Jimmy G) are reluctant to swap that high of a pick.

Now Billy O just got burnt with Osweiler in a supposed franchise QB steal from Denver. But remember, BO did not make that deal. The owner wanted Osweiler. If anything that could have been the reason BO was soured on Osweiler. Would he take another "sure thing" QB from another Team? If he got the first hand information from Bill only, I believe he would.

Prescotts don't happen every year. For every Prescott you have a Goff who has struggled as BO claims they do. The consensus is none of these kids in this year's class are a starter in 2017 unless thrown into the deep end as a gamble. Chances are ten to one Jimmy G is better in 2017 and by the way, the Texans can wait with money this year. I am sure BO wants to concentrate on another playoff run versus wet nursing another rookie QB.

On the other hand, the Texans are 25th in Round one. That won't do it for Jimmy we know but with the Bill O relationship with BB, maybe a second first rounder in 2018 works.

Now comes the "you are crazy" idea. JJ.Watt for Jimmy G? They made the Playoffs in 2016 without him. He is going to be 29 and his contract years for the next five are $10.5mm, $11mm, $13mm, $15.5mm and $17mm. That is more than QB money. Not saying he is not worth it but the Texans could not make the Playoffs when he was healthy because they had no QB?

Yes, it might cost us a mid pick as well. This is the year to blow picks. Saves the Texans on money this year in Jimmy G's 2017 friendly $ and at least two Picks the Pats would demand.

You have Clowney making a difference and Covington is young and has played well. The CAP in in question. They seems to have room but need to sign Brown, Joseph and Hopkins and the refused to Franchise Bouye and let him walk for cash reasons. At pick #25 there are at least three-four pass rusher/D linemen that are younger and cheaper than Watt. Better????...?

The reason for the Texans not to trade him is GW Smith will have to have someone else start his car for a little while.

Fact remains Jimmy G can get the Texans into the playoffs that a JJ Watt even with his great play, cannot. Look at the Packers. No D but a QB who will get them there. Even without Watt the Texans are a better D than the Pack......but no QB.
DW Toys

Last edited:
With major potable water concerns on the horizon we need to trade Jimmy ASAP.

I have zero desire to help the Texans have a better offense

looking at this year's draft and for arguments sake, weighing JG versus picks 12 and 33 and what the potential difference might be with/without each

1st, not only have the Pats already improved over last year, they have also gotten younger

2nd what are the positions of need for the Pats? right now I would say LB and EDGE

so......who are we talking about at #12 and #33? I do think he's worth substantially more than the 12 and 33, but for argumant sake......

EDGE - #12 (Derek Barnett, Taco Charlton) not impressed at all from a value standpoint
#33 (Charles Harris, Carl Lawson) Lawson could be fun, though his health could be an issue, but mostly more meh....not sure any of them would make an immediate impact

LB - #12 (Reuben Foster, Haason Reddick, Zach Cunningham) I like Cunningham the best.....but how much immediate impact?
#33 - (Takkarist Mckinley, Tyus Bowser, TJ Watt, Tim Williams) I like Mckinley and Williams

so from building a monster LB unit perspective, it sounds intriguing, but the edge guys do little for me and I don't see any upgrade at all.

all things considered, I keep JG in this instance.......offer me more and I would listen

Interest in a Garoppolo trade out here in NE Ohio is negligible and the sports talk shows don't even mention it any more. A few days ago, a mock draft came out that featured a Cleveland/New England trade. It was, I believe, four draft choices (first round #12 and two second rounders this and a second round next year).

Fans out here would revolt if a trade like that went down. There would need to be something else from the Pats before a trade like that would even be palatable. Of course, the Browns need just about everything, so adding a fringe player to the trade would certainly be possible.

Bottom line, I don't see a trade to the Browns happening, at least not for as much draft capital as BB is claimed to want.

Fans would revolt if you gave away as many first-round picks as the Vikings did for Sam Bradford? Teams pay a huge bounty to go after potential franchise quarterbacks, even if they aren't proven or have known issues. Go back and look at the typical price to trade up in the draft to grab a top prospect or how much teams give up to trade for one.

Jay Cutler cost two first-round picks, plus Kyle Orton in return. Cutler is not even much better than Orton when you factor in his turnovers and attitude issues. Risky investment. No surprise he busted.

The Redskins gave up three first round picks to move up and draft Robert Griffin III, who is probably the be the last "can't miss" draft prospect, along with Andrew Luck that year.

The Eagles moved up 6 spots to draft Carson Wentz. It cost them two first round picks and then some.

The Browns are the team that let it be known publicly that they wanted to trade for JG. The Patriots would prefer to hold on to him for one more year as part of their evaluation process for long-term plans at QB. If the Browns would like to force the Patriots hand by taking away one option at the league's most important position, it's going to be expensive.

In my opinion the Cardinals are an interesting wild card.

Carson Palmer took a nose dive this past season, is old, had a fair share of structural surgeries and has never been that good to begin with. The Cardinals window is closing, Arians may not be so relaxed about his position and although the Cardinals have been doing good things recently in terms of draft and management, we have seen signs of disfunctionality there specially with the finger pointing.

They have the #13 pick, they are out of the top 10 so no top DE or Fournette for them. Their roster is balanced, not stacked, but as far as I remember they don't have any glaring needs, so out of all that equation I would not rule out the Cardinals.

Interesting proposal, but it will cost more than #64 to move up from #8 all the way up to #2. Possibly much more.

Also, no team in their right mind is going to take on Danny Amendola for 6m dollars a year, so he's taking a reduction in pay no matter what.

Anyone else believe Bill is scouting these top round talents simply for further data to be on hand for the future in terms of game planning against them and to potentially acquire a few via trade down the line from teams that have mis-used them?
Yes.

Cousin, I think there is a purpose to everything BB does. Details and all that.
I also think he allocates his time spent.

Just a thought. Would it not serve him better to dive into 3rd round and after prospects if he had no intention of being in the top two rounds of the Draft?

Worrying about a player and how he can collect said player and for what, in three years? Methinks that is a waste of time for someone who was lamenting that he was already 5 weeks behind as the Super Bowl festivities droned on.

Is that the kind of Coach that by his clandestine actions, seems to allege. "Let's see......If the Bears pick up OT Fred Goodplayer in the second round and use him as a Guard, let's work him out right now to see if he can be a Center." ?

i.e Somethin's cookin. Now he may or my not pull the trigger, but my guess is he has more than one offer for Jimmy G (Mr. "I can't keep a secret" Garappolo). My belief is he is weighing the value of what he could get in return and I think it will be a player who can contribute day one rather than a project on Jimmy's bounty return.

Some might say this is an elaborate shell game that BB is playing by visiting and working out first rounders. More headaches for the competition. What is the "Swami" up to?

So I would be in the no column on three year out scouting.

He's got offers sitting. It might not be the Browns. I am thinking four others.

So he could pull off a three way trade to the Chiefs and friend Andy Reid and they had a deal every year when Reid was at Philly. Alex Smith has gone as far as he can. The Texans could opt for a guy in his talent range. Andy could send Smith there. Jimmy G is new blood and KC is definitely looking QB this year.

It could be Coughlin? Mutual respect there with BB and Tom and Coughlin is NOT sold on Bortles in JAX,.......... so another three way trade to get Bortles somewhere else for fair compensation.

Don't discount BB's relationship with John Lynch in SF. Talk about a very quite under the radar possibility.

The Bears can't be serious on Glennon. They just paid him that way. We have traded a lot recently with the Bears or we took each other's FAs.
DW Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye