PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

is the 2018 QB draft class deep enough for the Pats to get one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mosslost

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Patriots must consider trading Jimmy Garoppolo

This video on SI talks about Pats trading Jimmy during this year because they think Brady plays 2 to 3 more years and there is no good "Belichickian" way to keep Jimmy. They speculate that Belichick has his eyes on a new "heir" in the 2018 draft. We will be drafting late so I don't see it unless they perhaps send Jimmy during the season to a team that may have a QB already, so they have 2 number ones and perhaps can trade and move around.

How deep is the 2018 QB class?

tumblr_mutyv6lAqb1qdj450o3_250.gif

Still skeptical that anyone will give up a #1 for our JAG
The only way I see this happening is that IF a contender loses their QB in pre-season and they're desperate for someone who they believe could git 'er done for them this season. This perception is unlikely because JAG will have missed pre-season with their team and would face a huge learning curve.

Jimmy is staying, BB would of traded him already around draft time and he wasn't kept for insurance even tho thats the story being sold because when you look at it, there's only 2 new players that are on one year deals (Kony Ealy, Rex Burkhead) meaning the majority of this years team will be here next year (including Cooks/Gilmore) so why give up getting 1st rounder/s for a one year insurance when you will virtually have the same team the year after, now if Cooks, Gilmore etc were all here on one year deals than I would understand the one year Insurance thing but not buying it

I don't see the logic in trading him DURING the season. I doubt you would get so much more value than post-season pre-draft trade.

They kept him for the insurance policy on TB (health/retire), that issue doesn't change mid-season but rather gets more prominent as you chase HFA and the second season approaches.

After the SB and before the draft, sure you can franchise and trade if TB is committed for at least one more year. At that point options for another backup or developmental qb will be there - just BB will have to figure cost-benefits of draft-trade-or even a FA (backup-3 to Brisket-2).

IMO, The only possibility of a inseason trade is if Brisket really really comes further along than we saw in preseason 1 and some NFC contender gets an egregious qb injury that causes them to offer the house (2 1sts and a2d or something else ridiculous) for JAG. I don't see Brisket getting traded either, as then you are stuck with the keeping one: TB-JAG decision with no other depth.

*** all that said: I am now questioning what SI's definition of "this season" is in the video. To me it ends at SB. If they think season runs through the franchise tag application period, then this (with no legitimate new info) was just click-bait hottakes . Mission accomplished-I clicked. LOL.

Jimmy is staying, BB would of traded him already around draft time and he wasn't kept for insurance even tho thats the story being sold because when you look at it, there's only 2 new players that are on one year deals (Kony Ealy, Rex Burkhead) meaning the majority of this years team will be here next year (including Cooks/Gilmore) so why give up getting 1st rounder/s for a one year insurance when you will virtually have the same team the year after, now if Cooks, Gilmore etc were all here on one year deals than I would understand the one year Insurance thing but not buying it

Regardless of what happens during the off-season JG is insurance for this season's goals. Hence why teams have backubackups. JG is the best insurance the Pats could have.

Super Bowl is the goal right now.

They're not trading him.

See post #5
Fallacy is that value received in trade, e.g. a #1 exceeds value as insurance
Not geting a #1 so insurance value >> trade value

Unstated, but I believe, even a #1 at this point is still worth less than insurance. My man Bisquick does not yet look like a viable backup. Time may tell.

I don't see the logic in trading him DURING the season. I doubt you would get so much more value than post-season pre-draft trade.

They kept him for the insurance policy on TB (health/retire), that issue doesn't change mid-season but rather gets more prominent as you chase HFA and the second season approaches.

After the SB and before the draft, sure you can franchise and trade if TB is committed for at least one more year. At that point options for another backup or developmental qb will be there - just BB will have to figure cost-benefits of draft-trade-or even a FA (backup-3 to Brisket-2).

IMO, The only possibility of a inseason trade is if Brisket really really comes further along than we saw in preseason 1 and some NFC contender gets an egregious qb injury that causes them to offer the house (2 1sts and a2d or something else ridiculous) for JAG. I don't see Brisket getting traded either, as then you are stuck with the keeping one: TB-JAG decision with no other depth.

*** all that said: I am now questioning what SI's definition of "this season" is in the video. To me it ends at SB. If they think season runs through the franchise tag application period, then this (with no legitimate new info) was just click-bait hottakes . Mission accomplished-I clicked. LOL.

Frankly, I think the potential for trading Brissett is much higher. The Pats may only get a 6th (conditional 5th) for him, but opening his roster spot may have significant value if it allows them to keep a good prospect who likely won't clear waivers during cutdowns.

Jimmy can't stay beyond this year unless you get rid of Brady, which they are not doing if he is still playing great.

I'm not really concerned with the in season trade. I am wondering more about whether Belichick has a "Plan B" of trying to get yet another QB in 2018.

There has been a lot of talk locally and nationally that this could be Brady's last year and you hand the keys to Garapollo even if Brady is kicking ass. I don't think so. What if Brady plays 4 stellar seasons for the Broncos or soemthing? No freaking way. So my real question on the thread is does Belichick plan on getting yet another QB as heir from this draft.

If Brady plays like he has been playing there is no way you let him lose to play for the Steelers next year, which could easily happen. And you don't trade him to some **** team either.

I think you go with Brady till he is done, draft another QB. He is on the same level as Larry Bird in Boston, higher actually.

Not a drafting, college guy but yes if viable BB is looking at the 2018 draft as a source for potential Brady backups/heir apparents. But it does not follow as the article implies that BB needs a high #1 to get his guy. His criteria for QBs is different from most GMs.

To answer the OP: As of now yes. Things always change though.

Darnold
Allen
Rosen
Rudolph
L. Jackson
Stidham
& others (Falk, Francois, Kincade, etc.)

I've thought about this as well. Next season Brady will be 41, Garoppolo will be gone or on a 1 year 22+ million dollar deal & the Pats will likely know what they have with Brissett. I include a QB in my mocks pretty much every year as they are worth developing & hoping you land something.

Rosen is the one to watch. The team around him isn't very good & GMs may have problems with his outspoken nature. He'll be just 21 during his rookie season too. I can see him falling Aaron Rodgers style. The kid has a great release, accuracy, size, etc. Say he fell to the mid-20s & we traded up for him. We'd have Rosen with 3-4 years learning under Brady at 25 years old as the successor.

In short: The QB class looks loaded & deep. Some QBs will flame out & some will come out of nowhere. Unless the Pats are serious about keeping Garoppolo over Brady; there is no logical way for him to be the successor. Brissett has nearly a 90% chance to amount to nothing as a 3rd round QB. I'd look at QB next year.

Jimmy G's trade value was likely at its highest this past offseason. If they were going to trade him it should have been before the last draft. I'm not sure anyone knows what BB's plans are with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back