PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

is the 2018 QB draft class deep enough for the Pats to get one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree.

If a team wants him in the off-season, his cost will be the franchise cost for a one year contract, or a cost that includes at least that much guaranteed for a longer contract.

If a team trades now, they get one year of low cost instead of one year at over $20M. They should be willing to give more under this circumstance.

OI don't think that Belichick wants to trade him until after the season, if then.

I don't see the logic in trading him DURING the season. I doubt you would get so much more value than post-season pre-draft trade.

the question is more about whether Belichick eyes another QB in 2018 draft.

He is always eyeing the draft. He usually picks a QB every two or three years.

View attachment 17729

I agree that was the question, but the 95% YES answer seemed so obvious; I didn't really address it. Either TB or JAG is gone in Sep 18. BB is going to get a third qb from somewhere. I give a 5% chance there is a viable FA you would take for a number two-three if you think Brisket can be something SOMEDAY.
So otherwise, that leaves the draft. I think the more specific question is not Will he draft a QB?, but rather, How high of a pick will he use to get a QB?

He hasn't bothered using a 1st yet, but with all the lost firsts and TB you could argue that is explained and this time will be different.

I personally don't see him trading up in the first (even #32 ;) )to chase a 50-50 shot of a decent qb or even using 28-32 (whatever it is) without moving around. But I could clearly see him using a 2D rnd pick or moving slightly in that round. But it is way too soon to look at names or rounds. How are you going to say who they would even like, what layout of the board is for competitors and trade partners, etc. I think the above thoughts (not in 1st) match BB's general philosophy, but he has also shown he will abandon philosophies if the right guy (value at pick) comes along. So this is all just what if . . .

I wonder if this issue distracts this team in 2017. More and more talk on the radio that this could be Brady's last year even against his will. If that talk is already occurring I sure hope it does not affect the 2017 squad.

I wonder if this issue distracts this team in 2017. More and more talk on the radio that this could be Brady's last year even against his will. If that talk is already occurring I sure hope it does not affect the 2017 squad.

Put on some music..

Should have prob been posted in the draft forum considering 99.9% of the post didn't answer the question lol.
To answer the OP: As of now yes. Things always change though.

Darnold
Allen
Rosen
Rudolph
L. Jackson
Stidham
& others (Falk, Francois, Kincade, etc.)

I've thought about this as well. Next season Brady will be 41, Garoppolo will be gone or on a 1 year 22+ million dollar deal & the Pats will likely know what they have with Brissett. I include a QB in my mocks pretty much every year as they are worth developing & hoping you land something.

Rosen is the one to watch. The team around him isn't very good & GMs may have problems with his outspoken nature. He'll be just 21 during his rookie season too. I can see him falling Aaron Rodgers style. The kid has a great release, accuracy, size, etc. Say he fell to the mid-20s & we traded up for him. We'd have Rosen with 3-4 years learning under Brady at 25 years old as the successor.

In short: The QB class looks loaded & deep. Some QBs will flame out & some will come out of nowhere. Unless the Pats are serious about keeping Garoppolo over Brady; there is no logical way for him to be the successor. Brissett has nearly a 90% chance to amount to nothing as a 3rd round QB. I'd look at QB next year.

Kincade

His height is concerning. I've heard 6'-6'2. That's tough but I love him. Talked about him a bunch in my thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News