PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rewatch: NE vs LAC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your analysis was just on the second half of the chargers game and you saw that he was beaten twice on run blocking snaps. That's two bad plays out of 12 snaps in half a game. There's 7 and a half more games to analyze if you want to accurately detail his entire season production thus far.

You said Allen had, "2 bad plays and 1 mental error for the entire season. How the hell does Allen suck?"

Touche! The season hasn't completed yet.

And you just reminded me of an error I wrote here. I forgot to say I haven't watched any of the games we lost. Losing is painful for me. So I haven't watched the replay against the Chiefs(27 snaps) or Panthers(9 snaps).

I have watched ever other game, I just did not write down notes of Allen because his blocking was solid aside from that mental error he made where he went for the wrong gap or something. Can't remember the game. I only started documenting each of his snaps because of the hate on Allen.

Do I think Allen needs to improve as a receiver? Yeah, probably considering he hasn't had any catches. The knock on Allen according to Clots fans is he can't catch the ball. And we saw this in training camp BB getting on him about it. But his run blocking is really solid. So it's not like he sucks, we just need to give him time and hope he improves, and if he doesn't, find someone better in the off season or ask him to take a paycut. But we need to give him a chance. There are not many good blocking tight ends in this league who has the potential to go out and catch a ball.

Last edited:
Here are the video replays of the runs I posted earlier.

1ST & GOAL AT NE 41 (8:48) D.Lewis left tackle to NE 41 for no gain (Tr.Williams).

This play doesn't look like it ever had a chance but DL makes a couple of nice moves and is an ankle tackle away from a few yards.

2ND & GOAL AT LAC 41 (3:50) D.Lewis up the middle to LAC 34 for 7 yards (C.McCain).

This looks like he should have been stopped for a loss. The LB had him dead to rights in the backfield with little room but Dion makes a nice quick juke for a nice 7 yard gain.

1ST & GOAL AT LAC 13 (1:40) D.Lewis up the middle to LAC 6 for 7 yards (K.Toomer)

This is another great run. It looks the defense formed a mini containment pocket but Lewis pops out to his right for another 7 yard gain.

1ST & GOAL AT NE 34 (4:41) D.Lewis up the middle to NE 44 for 10 yards (H.Pullard; C.Hayward). PENALTY on LAC-H.Pullard, Face Mask (15 Yards), 15 yards, enforced at NE 44.

This was good Oline blocking combined with Lewis being Lewis. It results in a 15 yard facemask penalty but Lewis got 10 yards on the play.

Appreciate the followup. I wasn't too far off in my guesses. Fun game - though maybe labor intensive for you to set up the stills/clips.

Can you edit the "down and distance" - everything is 1st & Goal, etc.

Wheelman, those are two awesome film review posts. I am super impressed. You focus on particular plays yet still extrapolate to the more general themes we discuss.

If you are able to include quarter and time of game information on any plays you discuss, I will do my best effort t0 compile and post the broadcast footage of those plays. If I don't, perhaps someone else will. It is so much easier to find the plays with those two pieces of information. Getting a video posted of the plays can be very helpful, IMO: sometimes one person's insight leads to a completely different observation.

This is perfect!

This is harder to find. I likely need to pull up the play by play.

Super hard to find.

---

Edit:

Think of this as a friendly suggestion, not some mandatory thing. It is much better to post reflections on plays without those pieces of info than not post at all. Looking forward to seeing your next ones! :)

Thanks for the kudo's! I've been watching every game that we win like this since 2012. The reason I registered on here was to point out how Vereen had a huge hole to run for a big gain if not a long TD in the Texans/Pats game on MNF that he missed. There's a thread on this forum about Super LI, I don't remember what it's called. a re watch thread or something? But I jotted down a bunch of notes from the all-22 copy. You might like what I posted in that thread if you can find the thread.

I can give you Quarter, approximate yard mark, down and distance, drive #. As for exact time, I can't really do that because it'll take too much time for me to go back and watch when the snap happens which I did with the Allen review of the 2nd half. It's a pain in the ass. Best I can do is just say "around 5:30 left".

Sorry about the 2nd Allen play. I edited it. It was in the 4th quarter.

The Cooks play happened in the 2nd quarter, 10:46 left, own 31.5, 2nd and 3.

This season I started jotting down rough notes for each game we won because I forget things. And then I'm left with the response, I can't remember when or what he did but I know it happened lol! I don't post all notes I've made because it's rough, might not be in order, and a lot of it might only have down and distance, no time, qtr, yard mark. I just post what I think is notable/critical or what's been bothering me or what impressed me.

Bottom line, I felt like we left some plays out there. And definitely have been leaving some points out there thru out the season. Quite a few missed opportunities for different reasons. That's why the scores have been lower mostly.

Here are the video replays of the runs I posted earlier.

1ST & GOAL AT NE 41 (8:48) D.Lewis left tackle to NE 41 for no gain (Tr.Williams).

This play doesn't look like it ever had a chance but DL makes a couple of nice moves and is an ankle tackle away from a few yards.

And to continue on the Allen talk. Look how Allen sustains his block. #50 tries to get off him, but Allen gets him back, and then #50 finally gets off him, if the play continues maybe Allen pushes him wide? Hard to tell because the play ends.

Appreciate the followup. I wasn't too far off in my guesses. Fun game - though maybe labor intensive for you to set up the stills/clips.

Good catch. I simply copied the down and distance directly from gamepass.

I'll try to get the correct d n d.

Edited. Thanks for catching that.

Watch the 1st replay after the TD from the broadcast. Hollister's left foot hits Gronk's right foot. Hollister trips and falls. It's crystal clear that their feet touch.

As for anyone(Opposing fans) saying Hollister picked the guy who was going to cover Gronk. Nope. Not true at all. The guy who was supposed to pick up Gronk got pushed back by the guy covering Allen. As previously mentioned on here, great job by Allen which set up Gronk to being wide open.

And just looking at it more. The Chargers totally ****ed up on that. Even if the guy covering Allen didn't rub the guy who was supposed to pick up Gronk, he's too late. Bad defense. Just bad. How do you even do that? Gronk is the #1 guy you want to key in on in the redzone.

Just glad the refs recognized he tripped and didn't throw a flag.

Wheelman with the hard analysis. Good stuff man. Thanks

BUMP

analysis of regular season game vs. the Chargers LAST YEAR, Oct 29, 2017

Probably not worth looking at. Teams are so different now. Plus the Chargers had a ton of injuries last year.

same defensive coordinator though, and the NE game plan included throwing it early and often to running backs, which I think still applies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots