PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Coaching News: They didn't even wait until Black Monday to start the beheadings

Ajayi and Landry wee there in 2017.
Ajayi was hurt, sulked then traded to Philly, remember? Tannehill was IR in 2017. No Landry this year.

It’s really a different discussion.
Its linked.

But when you blame it all on degradation of the roster when there were few losses it convolutes discussing the coach.
Injuries too.

Are you freaking kidding me?
Landry averaged 8.8 yards per catch his last year in Miami. He was horribly misused. Landry shouldn’t have had to ask him to let him run real routes and gase was 100% wrong in how he used him.

Cutler was staring at the rush. Their running game sucked and he had no one else to throw to. He did have 112 catches and 9 TDs. 1000yds in 2016...with Tannehill and Gase

The coach is responsible for the culture.

..and the GM and the owner. Tannenbaum and Ross established the country club, lolly gagging culture way before Gase showed up.

First I’m not exonerating him I am calling bullshlt on you making excuses for gase
Second there have been far worse GMs.
Tannenbaums problem is he worries about the present and ignores the future. That is far from an albatross around the neck of a 3 year coaching tenure.

Feel free to name all the GMs better than Tannenbaum. Has no effect on his pathetic track record as a football exec.

I expect a coach to walk in install his system coach up his players and improve the team.
Gase didn’t develop players, didnt improve anything and the guy brought in primarily to build an offense built a bottom 5 one.
Please explain what gase did that makes you think he was taking this tesmnib the right direction. I see nothing at all.
How can you steer a team in any direction when the front office has no clue themselves?

They’ve cut bait with vets like Suh and Landry to create more space, but then followed those moves by inexplicably throwing money at JAG’s/washed players like Albert Wilson, Robert Quinn, Danny, etc.

Plus what are you to do you do when you’re chained to an uninspiring, poor attitude QB like Tannehill? That can’t stay healthy either, mind you.

I would have no clue what direction to take that team. The management can ABSOLUTELY be a reason to blame for that.

All I know is my fantasy teams loved Landry in miami. The browns version not so much.

How can you steer a team in any direction when the front office has no clue themselves?
That’s what I mean by an excuse. He failed, you blame others.
I cunsidervit his job to deal with whatever he needs to and make his team better.

They’ve cut bait with vets like Suh and Landry to create more space, but then followed those moves by inexplicably throwing money at JAG’s/washed players like Albert Wilson, Robert Quinn, Danny, etc.
They had very little roster turnover compared to most teams. It happens. I don’t see how it’s worse here or how you can say gase shouldn’t still win if he’s a good coach.

Plus what are you to do you do when you’re chained to an uninspiring, poor attitude QB like Tannehill? That can’t stay healthy either, mind you.
His evaluation was to commit to tannehill.
Why didn’t he coach him up? He’s an offensive guru but the qb he said he wanted never got better. Who’s fault is that?

I would have no clue what direction to take that team. The management can ABSOLUTELY be a reason to blame for that.
YOU shouldn’t but gase should. They are his players, his team.

They are 100% excuses.
OK Andy. Adam Gase failed and it was all 100% his fault. Is that really the truth? Is it worth while to understand the failure points that led to his dismissal or just say he sucked?

This is your problem. You think you know this but you don’t.
Oh and you do? Please call out what successes in Tannenbaum's career justifies him leading an NFL franchise.

Not really true. He had a wining record in ny.
LOL. Oh god thats rich. Major reach my friend.

Ajayi was hurt, sulked then traded to Philly, remember? Tannehill was IR in 2017. No Landry this year.

Its linked.

Injuries too.

Cutler was staring at the rush. Their running game sucked and he had no one else to throw to. He did have 112 catches and 9 TDs. 1000yds in 2016...with Tannehill and Gase

..and the GM and the owner. Tannenbaum and Ross established the country club, lolly gagging culture way before Gase showed up.

Feel free to name all the GMs better than Tannenbaum. Has no effect on his pathetic track record as a football exec.
If you honestly believe that you hire a new HC and tell him the “country club culture” is engrained and he had to accept it, we should stop here.
The NUMBER ONE job of a coach is culture and blaming a gm or owner (and btw you have zero evidence of that) is bs.
The NUMBER TWO job is install system at least on the side of the ball you are an expert to make your team good at it.
Gase ran a bottom 5 offense.

why is Trippin' Mike Tumblin' still employed in Shytsburgh?

What receiver has Oshea improved?
Who had he developed?

It depends on how you credit things. For example:

Who gets credit for Mitchell and Dorsett? Does O'Shea get some credit for the rapidity of Gordon's improvement over the year?

Good debate on Landry’s decline in 2017 yardage wise. Do you put this on Gase or the change in QBs (tanny to cutler)? The year before Landry averaged 12 ypc with tannehill.

If you honestly believe that you hire a new HC and tell him the “country club culture” is engrained and he had to accept it, we should stop here.

No I didn't say that. He TRIED to change it and was met with resistance by Ajayi and Landry.

The NUMBER ONE job of a coach is culture and blaming a gm or owner (and btw you have zero evidence of that) is bs. The NUMBER TWO job is install system at least on the side of the ball you are an expert to make your team good at it. Gase ran a bottom 5 offense.

Sure but if the GM and owner are going to be MIA like Ross and a softie like Tannenbaum, the coach is disabled.[/QUOTE]

OK Andy. Adam Gase failed and it was all 100% his fault. Is that really the truth? Is it worth while to understand the failure points that led to his dismissal or just say he sucked?
Wow what a strawman.
Nothing is 100% anything. Gase failed. Excusing his failure because you want to by claiming the players sucked or it was all the gms fault is lame.
You are the one assigning 100% blame elsewhere.

Oh and you do? Please call out what successes in Tannenbaum's career justifies him leading an NFL franchise.
You are making a blanket statement that the tram had no talent and you know that’s wrong. It’s widely accepted that talent among NFLs is not extremely different and saying it is just a convenient excuse.

LOL. Oh god thats rich. Major reach my friend.
It’s a fact. The jets had a winning record when he was gm. I guess you don’t like that but facts are facts whether you like them or not.

That’s what I mean by an excuse. He failed, you blame others.
I cunsidervit his job to deal with whatever he needs to and make his team better.

What YOU consider his job to make his team better may have already been accomplished. YOU don’t know how low the floor was on this team.
They had very little roster turnover compared to most teams. It happens. I don’t see how it’s worse here or how you can say gase shouldn’t still win if he’s a good coach.
They’ve interchanged RB’s, OL, WR, TE, DE, DT, over the last year. Only the back 7 has not experienced significant turnover. What are you talking about?

His evaluation was to commit to tannehill.
Why didn’t he coach him up? He’s an offensive guru but the qb he said he wanted never got better. Who’s fault is that?
What’s he supposed to do? Tannehill has peaked before he had gotten there. Does BB turn Tannehill into a Pro Bowler?

YOU shouldn’t but gase should. They are his players, his team.
You mean to tell me Gase was the GM? Ohhhh

No I didn't say that. He TRIED to change it and was met with resistance by Ajayi and Landry.
You are kidding right?
You are endorsing a HC who you say came in and wanted to change the culture and build the team in his image but he couldn’t because a 5th (4th?) round pick and a wr who didn’t like how he was used overruled him and he couldn’t do anything about it? And that’s not the worst description of coaching ever?

Sure but if the GM and owner are going to be MIA like Ross and a softie like Tannenbaum, the coach is disabled.
[/QUOTE]
If you are dead on about tannenbaum what kind of coach would let tannenbaum dictate the culture.
You are just grasping at straws.
Now you are saying the coach couldn’t coach his players because tannenbaum was gm and you have zero to back that up other than you dislike tannenbaum.

This has gotten derailed.
Back on topic Kliff Kingsbury is interviewing with the Cardinals and Jetz.

What YOU consider his job to make his team better may have already been accomplished. YOU don’t know how low the floor was on this team.
Please explain how he made the team better. They are coming off 2 losing seasons and are a bottom 5 offense and defense on the field.
Show me all of this improvement you see.

They’ve interchanged RB’s, OL, WR, TE, DE, DT, over the last year. Only the back 7 has not experienced significant turnover. What are you talking about?
The discussion was about 16 vs 17. R weathers said they stopped winning whe the team was ripped apart. The 17 team has as little turnover as any nfl typically has. 17 to 18 was a bit more but not out of the norm and the better pkayers to leave, were run off by the coach.

What’s he supposed to do? Tannehill has peaked before he had gotten there. Does BB turn Tannehill into a Pro Bowler?
He is supposed to coach him. Why in the world would you think he peaked at 27? That’s a losers mentality.

You mean to tell me Gase was the GM? Ohhhh
No he is the coach whose job is to coach and develop his players.

Good debate on Landry’s decline in 2017 yardage wise. Do you put this on Gase or the change in QBs (tanny to cutler)? The year before Landry averaged 12 ypc with tannehill.
Landry’s usage was abysmal. I believe it was the lowest ypc ever by a wr.
Nothing in cutlers history says that’s about him.
The other 2 top WRs averaged 14.6 and 11.8

Wow what a strawman.
Nothing is 100% anything. Gase failed. Excusing his failure because you want to by claiming the players sucked or it was all the gms fault is lame.
You are the one assigning 100% blame elsewhere.

Ive done nothing the sort. I've defended Gase for assuming 100% of the blame. You have been saying its all Gases fault this entire time. You even defended Tannenbaum.

You are making a blanket statement that the tram had no talent and you know that’s wrong. It’s widely accepted that talent among NFLs is not extremely different and saying it is just a convenient excuse..

Lets see. They lost their 1200yd RB to injury, sulking and a trade. Lost their starting QB to IR and ditched their best WR and got in cap hell.

Oh but it was all the coaches fault. Gotcha...

It’s a fact. The jets had a winning record when he was gm. I guess you don’t like that but facts are facts whether you like them or not.

I don't think you understood his role when Mangini was there and overlook the ****ty drafts after he left.

What receiver has Oshea improved?
Who had he developed?
I don’t think that’s very pertinent to being OC. I would say his role is game plan development for many years is more important.
But he developed Edelman, and Mitchell before the injury and coached a position group that had fine very well done he took over.
He had t been given WRs to develop really.

I think Gase should go back and a coordinator for a while and consider what he could have done better. He was the coach and they did not win. Part of the answer might be picking a better situation.

You are kidding right?
You are endorsing a HC who you say came in and wanted to change the culture and build the team in his image but he couldn’t because a 5th (4th?) round pick and a wr who didn’t like how he was used overruled him and he couldn’t do anything about it? And that’s not the worst description of coaching ever?

They were jettisoned for cap (Landry) and cap/attitude (Ajayi) reasons.

If you are dead on about tannenbaum what kind of coach would let tannenbaum dictate the culture.
You are just grasping at straws.
Now you are saying the coach couldn’t coach his players because tannenbaum was gm and you have zero to back that up other than you dislike tannenbaum.
Team culture and organizational culture are two different things.

They clearly were not on the same page philosophically.

I never said Gase couldn't coach his players. He was dealt a ****ty hand.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back