PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NE@DEN REWATCH thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NE-VT

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Welcome to the latest re-watch thread for film-based discussion and play breakdowns. I will start off with some helpful sources to get us started until the all-22 comes out:

r/Patriots Gifs

r/NFL highlights

As much as possible, try to keep observations supported by particular plays. If you don't have a clip of a play, but you know the quarter and approximate game time, give that information. Someone else might post the clip for you!

I have already seen some discussion of things to look out for (in no particular order):

1. I wanted to look at TE#2 usage. @Wheelman did a nice Allen review last week.

2. @long distance wanted to look at M.Flowers potential use as a hybrid SS/LB.

3. @Tony2046 & @PatsDeb discussed Butler's mistakes in coverage

4. Analysis of the offensive game-plan we could look out for in film. PatDeb also mentioned it

5. Special Teams performance

6. @luuked wanted to look at Waddle's performance at OT. Did we scheme to help him, or did he win 1v1?

7. @FreeTedWilliams mentioned Devlin & Gilmore had good games.

8. @PP2 Perviously discussed how we might handle Miller, and will be interested in the follow up.

I am sure I have missed awesome posts with other things to look out for. Let me know and I will edit you in. Even if you don't have the time or energy to do a re-watch, you can still help us by thinking of themes to check out. Just try to be a bit more nuanced than "player X sucks". Say "player X sucks at Y on Z plays".

Last edited:
lets have snap count then.. (from Lazar @Pats Pulpit)
Patriots at Broncos Snap Count Report: Rex Burkhead has taken over as the top running back
____

Q1: Where did Hogan's snaps go? Most to Dorsett of course, also big increase for Develin (and a great job at every single one of them incl. ST), some to Rex. Interestingly Danny stays under his average which speaks of Pats being careful w his injury..

Q2: What happens with Allen after Bennett? Snap wise nothing changes, stays around his regular just under 30%. After two games wo being targeted he saw two passes in the end zone.

Great to see Karras in the game when Hoyer came in. I think they trust him a lot and has a future here.

Glad to see Flowers in the 80's despite seriously depleted line. Roberts and Harris took good command in the middle while KVN continues to be Hightower.

A.Butler seemed to add another serious wrinkle to his game defending the run from different positions on 60% of the snaps. He topped Guy and Branch being used outside and in. Very nice distribution among big boys despite injuries

M.Flowers increases his snap count again while Richards stays part of the gameplan.

upload_2017-11-13_21-4-48.png

upload_2017-11-13_21-5-8.png

The Blocked Punt:

1. The protection scheme for a punt formation usually consists of a Punter, Gunners (2), Oline ( 7 personnel: Long Snapper, 2 Guards, 2 Tackles and 2 Slots), and a Personal protector.

upload_2017-11-13_14-57-53.png

2. The Punting team has eight blockers for protection which is the maximum a return team can typically rush unless they allow the Gunners to run free in which case the Gunners would pull in closer to the punting formation for additional blocking.

Note: On this play the Patriots rushed 6, double covered both gunners and Lewis. They focused on the offensive left side of the formation leaving O line guys on the right with no one to block.

3. Gunners release after the snap and the rest release after the punt.

4. The Personal Protector's job is to assist the Long snapper.

5. The key to a successful Punt is twofold. 1. Provide enough protection to execute the punt and 2. Get downfield to prevent or stop the return.

During Burkhead's block Denver's Tackle (#20) fails to hold his block on Burkhead long enough.

Screenshot right at the snap:
upload_2017-11-13_15-5-55.png

Bolden stretches the Broncos punt formation by sprinting past the outside edge which pulls the Sprinter (#34) a way from the Tackle (#20) leaving a gap in between them and an opportunity for Burkhead to beat #20 to the outside which he did.

upload_2017-11-13_15-13-29.png

In this shot #20 has already released the block and is starting to head up field.
upload_2017-11-13_15-22-36.png

End result of not holding your block long enough. :D (Please excuse my kindergarten level annotations. Hard to write with a mouse.)
upload_2017-11-13_15-25-36.png

If I get time I think I'll look back at a couple of Bronco games and see if #20 showed any tendencies of early releases in other games.

#Match ups matter.

It looks like we did steal a page from Philly's playbook as far as dealing with Miller. As with Philly, Miller never knew who his blocker was going to be, or where they would be coming from. Can someone post a GFY of that 26 yard pass to Gronk when we were up 27-16? Play action to Lewis, with 2 TE's playisde, release to patterns, Waddle takes inside man, Miller thinks he has a free path but is whammed by Thuney.

Miller never really got into a rhythm.

Before we deep deeper:

Special Teams Award (not banner!) goes to @Tony for calling the game setting attack on McKenzie in the pregame thoughts thread!!
____

here his exact quote:

Few game thoughts:

1. McKenzie has muffed or fumbled four punt returns this season. Will look to see how the Pats attack him.

Thanks for that post @long distance. You've started to answer my top question: how would the Pats adjust their forces for the front seven (actually six or even five) on the Defense?

Sounds like most common was: a rotating front 4 with 3 of Butler/Branch/Guy/Wise/Flowers, M plus Flowers, T; 2 LBs: Van Noy plus either Roberts or Harris; and 5 DBs: Butler, Gilmore, McCourty, Harmon, Chung. Though Richards was in a fair bit as an in-the-box defender, it seemed to me.

Given they're missing Brown and (of course) Hightower, I thought they did pretty well in the run game. There were a few long runs, but I'm encouraged about Branch, Harris and Roberts for the future. Question for film review: am I right?

P.S. I agree with you about being happy to see Karras getting on the field. Got to confess I've got a bit of a man crush on the young man. He's really charming:

Before we deep deeper:

Special Teams Award (not banner!) goes to @Tony for calling the game setting attack on McKenzie in the pregame thoughts thread!!
____

here his exact quote:

Few game thoughts:

1. McKenzie has muffed or fumbled four punt returns this season. Will look to see how the Pats attack him.

Thanks.

Do I lose the award for being wrong on the other thoughts? :eek::D

Thanks for that post @long distance. You've started to answer my top question: how would the Pats adjust their forces for the front seven (actually six or even five) on the Defense?

Sounds like most common was: a rotating front 4 with 3 of Butler/Branch/Guy/Wise/Flowers, M plus Flowers, T; 2 LBs: Van Noy plus either Roberts or Harris; and 5 DBs: Butler, Gilmore, McCourty, Harmon, Chung. Though Richards was in a fair bit as an in-the-box defender, it seemed to me.

Given they're missing Brown and (of course) Hightower, I thought they did pretty well in the run game. There were a few long runs, but I'm encouraged about Branch, Harris and Roberts for the future. Question for film review: am I right?

I was pleasantly surprised with how well they did against the run.

P.S. I agree with you about being happy to see Karras getting on the field. Got to confess I've got a bit of a man crush on the young man. He's really charming:

Don't get me started on Karras. If they cut him once again Im loosing it for real!

I might be a bit less active on the analysis front in this thread, but I am still going to try to post gyfs and clips to facilitate discussion. Here is the Lewis return TD:

Last edited:
It looks like we did steal a page from Philly's playbook as far as dealing with Miller. As with Philly, Miller never knew who his blocker was going to be, or where they would be coming from. Can someone post a GFY of that 26 yard pass to Gronk when we were up 27-16? Play action to Lewis, with 2 TE's playisde, release to patterns, Waddle takes inside man, Miller thinks he has a free path but is whammed by Thuney.

Miller never really got into a rhythm.

I think this is an awesome play that I think BB knew was going to happen during his Belestrator preview.

I envision BB thinking, "Yeah tough to block.......heh heh heh....If they show me this look they're getting smoked." hahaha

Single safety and 9 in the box. BB discusses how it's tough to run against them and that they have one extra guy in the box than you can block etc..

upload_2017-11-13_17-52-35.png

This is a similar look in the game. Single safety with 8 in the box. So two cb's in coverage with safety help over the top.

Dorsett at the top and Cooks at the bottom.

upload_2017-11-13_18-0-25.png

Dorsett takes off sprinting up the seam. The Safety moves towards Dorsett's route. Cooks is running a deep slant and his CB is playing him over the top.
upload_2017-11-13_18-7-30.png

Cooks cuts towards the outside and Brady unloads a deep pass for a 25 yard gain. If Cooks didn't stumble on the catch I wonder how much more he could have picked up.
upload_2017-11-13_18-15-9.png

NE @ Broncos: pregame thoughts

Very nice subtle out fake before slant variation to gain separation

Great play. Watch the chip block by Devlin before he went into his route..not sure if that's Miller there lined up at left end, but Devlin did a great job stopping the ends first move and taking away the edge...which allowed waddle to finish him off...totally disrupted broncos pass rush from that side...allowing brady to stand tall in the pocket. Also shaq mason really stone walled his man there 1 on 1...shaq is so powerful.

Brilliant little things like that win ball games

I think this is an awesome play that I think BB knew was going to happen during his Belestrator preview.

I envision BB thinking, "Yeah tough to block.......heh heh heh....If they show me this look they're getting smoked." hahaha

Single safety and 9 in the box. BB discusses how it's tough to run against them and that they have one extra guy in the box than you can block etc..

View attachment 18571

This is a similar look in the game. Single safety with 8 in the box. So two cb's in coverage with safety help over the top.

Dorsett at the top and Cooks at the bottom.

View attachment 18572

Dorsett takes off sprinting up the seam. The Safety moves towards Dorsett's route. Cooks is running a deep slant and his CB is playing him over the top.
View attachment 18573

Cooks cuts towards the outside and Brady unloads a deep pass for a 25 yard gain. If Cooks didn't stumble on the catch I wonder how much more he could have picked up.
View attachment 18574

NE @ Broncos: pregame thoughts

If you watch that pass...it could have been slightly better. Had brady led cooks there, it could have resulted in a TD with cooks speed and momentum...

Something for cooks and brady to work on in practice..

If you watch that pass...it could have been slightly better. Had brady led cooks there, it could have resulted in a TD with cooks speed and momentum...

Something for cooks and brady to work on in practice..

I think the offense has been working out a lot of kinks throughout the season. Protection, Timing and routes have all improved over the last few weeks. Yesterday was a good challenge for them. The timing between Brady and the two speedsters seemed off at the beginning of the season but it looks like they are getting more and more in sync. Can't wait to see what it'll look like in Dec especially with Hogan back in the mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back