PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NE@DEN REWATCH thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solder's improving form improves the left double team as well . starting to look like last mid-season. That's quite huge good news. Big part of opening up running game. Should be good news for Gillislee as well..

Last edited:
Allen's route seems ok here. Tom maybe a little late . DA has to wait a bit. He could possibly make better adjustment to the front blocking defender already behind?

BTW - when you'll be doing La Waddle you can include above clip showing the help he was getting (great Develin chip block) and Lombardi was talking about in comparison to “coach of the year“ Garrett letting Clayborne abuse backup T Green.

LaW did a great job on his own, not taking anything away from him;)

Here nice article on the subject - and no it was not written yesterday but in 2014..
What ever happened to the chip block?
I haven't re-watched the game on my DVR yet, but it did appear that Waddle had quite a few 1x1 assignments, most of which he won, though not all or perhaps even most were vs Von Miller. One particular 1x1 vs Miller occured during Bennett's first catch, the big gainer, in the first quarter. Waddle whiffed almost completely, but Brady being Brady simply waited until the last moment to throw to him and avoid the big hit at the same time.

The Blocked Punt:

1. The protection scheme for a punt formation usually consists of a Punter, Gunners (2), Oline ( 7 personnel: Long Snapper, 2 Guards, 2 Tackles and 2 Slots), and a Personal protector.

View attachment 18561

2. The Punting team has eight blockers for protection which is the maximum a return team can typically rush unless they allow the Gunners to run free in which case the Gunners would pull in closer to the punting formation for additional blocking.

Note: On this play the Patriots rushed 6, double covered both gunners and Lewis. They focused on the offensive left side of the formation leaving O line guys on the right with no one to block.

3. Gunners release after the snap and the rest release after the punt.

4. The Personal Protector's job is to assist the Long snapper.

5. The key to a successful Punt is twofold. 1. Provide enough protection to execute the punt and 2. Get downfield to prevent or stop the return.

During Burkhead's block Denver's Tackle (#20) fails to hold his block on Burkhead long enough.

Screenshot right at the snap:
View attachment 18564

Bolden stretches the Broncos punt formation by sprinting past the outside edge which pulls the Sprinter (#34) a way from the Tackle (#20) leaving a gap in between them and an opportunity for Burkhead to beat #20 to the outside which he did.

View attachment 18565

In this shot #20 has already released the block and is starting to head up field.
View attachment 18566

End result of not holding your block long enough. :D (Please excuse my kindergarten level annotations. Hard to write with a mouse.)
View attachment 18567

If I get time I think I'll look back at a couple of Bronco games and see if #20 showed any tendencies of early releases in other games.

#Match ups matter.
@Tony2046, that's an amazing breakdown. Wow.

Yourself, @NE-VT, and many others are great at this.

It's much appreciated. That's a lot of work.

...And I would also like to apologize to @luuked.
Because I clearly should only be a spectator in these threads.

Bravo guys!!

I haven't re-watched the game on my DVR yet, but it did appear that Waddle had quite a few 1x1 assignments, most of which he won, though not all or perhaps even most were vs Von Miller. One particular 1x1 vs Miller occured during Bennett's first catch, the big gainer, in the first quarter. Waddle whiffed almost completely, but Brady being Brady simply waited until the last moment to throw to him and avoid the big hit at the same time.

Wouldn't call it exactly a whiff because he played to seal the inside rush lane and then guide him around the back of the pocket. Which he did but still left enough room for Miller to get to Brady.

Another think was that Mason lost some ground on his guy which didn't leave Brady much room to step up in to which would have helped as well. But like you said the play worked.

upload_2017-11-15_1-0-17.png

upload_2017-11-15_1-1-35.png

@Tony2046, that's an amazing breakdown. Wow.

Yourself, @NE-VT, and many others are great at this.

It's much appreciated. That's a lot of work.

Bravo guys!!

Thanks. I don't know all that much. I basically take a play that people seem interested in, watch it, try to research it and post what I find . Then some of our resident more knowledgeable football minded members add to it and/or correct my comments.

It's been a pretty fun thing to do this season.

There is no apology needed ever.

Those threads arose from the hope that some of the more football-educated people around here can maybe fight at least a couple of the hot takes that tend to go around by giving some context to plays and make people appreciate and understand what is going on better. I learn things every week from everyone that participates no matter how big or small the contribution is. I think we all love to watch the game and getting more insight into it and realizing how even the stupidest looking failure of a play can actually have a lot of clever context is sometimes just amazing.

The only reason I barked at people in the first few weeks a bit more than usual was to keep the thread a bit cleaner in terms of distracting side conversations, but at this point it seems like either the admins are doing a great job at removing those posts or things have settled down to the point where it is not necessary anymore.

A bit harsh but we discussed it before that maybe Butler's eagerness to make big plays (also in regard to his future contract) is taking some toll..

This is almost a carbon copy of what Kerley did to Butler a month ago:

small contribution from psychology department..

Dante, amazing presence on the sidelines: “Great start ... I like the way you're playing I like the way you're competing with them, that's all that matters ... We've got to finish this strong, that's what good teams do, they finish strong..“

BB (locker room): ”How about one penalty?! How about one penalty?!“

Last edited:
Thanks. I don't know all that much. I basically take a play that people seem interested in, watch it, try to research it and post what I find . Then some of our resident more knowledgeable football minded members add to it and/or correct my comments.

Strongly disagree and very much like..

Looks like Chatham got his takedown request issue squared away with the league because he is back posting video reviews:

Re: HurrDurr we need more blitzing hot takes..

Others:

This is almost a carbon copy of what Kerley did to Butler a month ago:

And that route looks very much like Cooks' nice reception in this game - headed up the middle and then suddenly dashed for the sidelines hopelessly trailed by the defender.

(USA Today): Talk about a TOTAL team effort. Everyone on New England's game-day roster played Sunday night, and even new backup QB Brian Hoyer looked good.

illustration? all over thread ;)

There is no apology needed ever.

Those threads arose from the hope that some of the more football-educated people around here can maybe fight at least a couple of the hot takes that tend to go around by giving some context to plays and make people appreciate and understand what is going on better. I learn things every week from everyone that participates no matter how big or small the contribution is. I think we all love to watch the game and getting more insight into it and realizing how even the stupidest looking failure of a play can actually have a lot of clever context is sometimes just amazing.

The only reason I barked at people in the first few weeks a bit more than usual was to keep the thread a bit cleaner in terms of distracting side conversations, but at this point it seems like either the admins are doing a great job at removing those posts or things have settled down to the point where it is not necessary anymore.
Well, you might think I don't need to apologize for posting "non related" nonsense. (Which it kind of was):rolleyes:.

I understand the objective of these threads and will try to keep it more topical in the future.

But, beyond that, I would like to say I apologize for treating you like a POS.

It was uncalled for, and would like to clear the air with you and everyone here.
OK, I feel better now.;)

I was having a bad day.

Shout out to Dorsett. Anyone notice on the deep patterns her ran he drew the safety his side along with the corner. IT allowed cooks to only have to beat man coverage with no help. That’s how much teams respect Dorsetts speed

I think Dorsett will be a big weapon next year as he continues to learn the playbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back