PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mary Cabot: The Browns will not give up their number one pick or multiple first rounders for Jimmy

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

If what Mary Cabot says is true, would you still deal Jimmy G.?

• Yes. I would take whatever I can get, especially if it includes the #12 overall pick

Votes: 28 28.0%
  • Perhaps, but their offer has to include a couple more picks, including a 2nd rounder. Or NO DEAL

Votes: 34 34.0%
  • No. Jimmy G will still be in New England if the compensation does not include multiple 1's

Votes: 38 38.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe Draft Day Bill will come to his senses and take #12 and a third and a second next year. Which I think is fair compensation for Jimmy.

If he thinks Jimmy is the real thing, that's a bad trade.

There was no way in hell they were going to give up #1. And 2 first rounders lol. Honestly if anyone ever even suggested the Pats pay something like this for a player everyone here would laugh. Not sure why the Browns would do it no matter how desperate they are.

Yeah, people who don't remember the Pats without Brady would laugh. QB is so much more important than any other position in the NFL now that winning without a good one is next to impossible.

Well this is why the Browns will dwell the basement for an eternity. RGIII does resonate killer buyer beware but Jimmy is an odds on much safer choice than what they would either have to seriously "over-draft" at #1 or even #12.

But fine act like Jimmy isnt worth it idiots. LMK how that strategy of drafting a crapload of future busts one of which is named Mitch. When you look back at either NE or another team with stability at the most important position for the next 10 years....and you chose to bank on picking the "cream of the crap"

Id be fine with keeping JG aboard but a TON of variables must go precisely as planned for that careful and cap-strapped transition to occur say in 3, 4 or 5 years from now. *fingers crossed for latter*

But keeping Jimmy and asking him to sacrifice the next possible 4 years of starting in this league is 50/50 crap shoot at best. His agent can only have so much influence on that decision to sacrifice for the greater Patriot good. If he chose to say my time is limited and I deserve to start he would be in the right. He paid his dues working thru his rookie contract and its only logical. "Ok Jimmy we will make you starter... damn Brady is still playing MVP level QB and we cant just ask him to go away." A potential very dulled down summary of what maybe getting tossed around the razor in a years time.....just would hate to see either player get pissed and backfire fallout ensue.

May never happen but if it does can you blame either for wanting to be starters....kinda difficult appealing to both on that point.

This is simple. Tom is about to be 40. Pats will keep Jimmy.
This is what I am thinking now as well. Keep him as security/protection for 2017 Season, which is a Championship window years for sure. Even if Brady missed some time due to an injury Jimmy could win games, and the Pats would stay in it. If something really bad happened or whatever, the baton gets passed.

If he thinks Jimmy is the real thing, that's a bad trade.

Yeah, people who don't remember the Pats without Brady would laugh. QB is so much more important than any other position in the NFL now that winning without one is next to impossible.

Maybe but this team doesn't have the funds to keep Jimmy around for 3-4 years waiting for Brady to retire. I understand how important QB is and I really like Jimmy and wish he could stay. That being said, He's not about to be paid $20 million a year to sit behind Brady doing nothing. Sorry but the league and this team do not work that way. As I mentioned before this only makes sense if Brady is gone next year.

Probably the smartest thing they've done. Trading multiple picks, including a top 15 selection in this year's draft for a QB that played 5 1/2 quarters of good football before getting his shoulder crushed is a move that can easily come back to bite them in the ass and set them back for another 5 years. As a Pats fan, I was hoping it would happen and this news disappoints me.
This isn't news. Neither the Pats or any fans with a brain ever expected the #1.
We all DO expect the #12 plus a later round pick.
The Pats were rumored to want #12 plus browns 2018 1st rounder. Rumored. You always open high. I'd be surprised if Pats didnt settle for the #12 and maybe a 3rd rounder. I'd do that in a heartbeat

Kontra- I wasn't responding to your post, but the OP's. Slip of the finger. Need coffee

BB isn't letting him walk in free agency.
Can't believe anyone would believe that.
Potential franchise QB's coming off rookie contracts don't walk.
He is clearly viewed as such here.

It's amazing how many people see Garrapolo as a LOCK FRANCHISE QB. He's played 5 1/2 quarters there is absolutely no way to know this.

My question is..... What do we do in 2018, if we don't trade Jimmy G this year?

I can't see the Patriots franchising Jimmy G next year & keeping him.

If they franchise & trade him, he will not have the same trade value as he does this year.

Would they ever consider trading Brady & going with Jimmy G in 2018?

I sure don't want Jimmy G to walk next year & get a 2019 comp pick.

If I had to pick.... I would say they will franchise & trade him for a lesser return next year.

As much as I like Jimmy G, I want them to trade him this year for #12
& #33, even if we have to give them the Saints 4th back with Jimmy G.

We have the Seahawks & Saints 4rh round picks. Belichick is not going to let Goodell take the Saints 4th.

Maybe but this team doesn't have the funds to keep Jimmy around for 3-4 years waiting for Brady to retire. I understand how important QB is and I really like Jimmy and wish he could stay. That being said, He's not about to be paid $20 million a year to sit behind Brady doing nothing. Sorry but the league and this team do not work that way. As I mentioned before this only makes sense if Brady is gone next year.

An NFL year is a long time.

*Cue the Always Sunny theme*

4SmW6jd.png

The Browns have 5 2nd round picks, the #12 this year + the second #2 this year and 2 #2 picks next is a deal. Leaves Browns with franchise QB and lots of assets.

Trade won't happen if it does till just before draft max leverage for Pats. Perhaps time for Browns to put extension in place, for JG.

Last edited:
I would still do the trade for #12, #52, and a fourth next year. Better than losing Garoppolo in FA or spending 40M in cap space on QBs until Brady is done IMO.

I would have agreed with this before Brock Osweiler helped the Broncos win the Super Bowl. Now I'm not so sure.

If Jacoby could keep us a float a few weeks during a non-season-ending injury for Brady, sure. But if we're not so sure about that (and this year's schedule looks much tougher than last year's), then I'd rather hold onto him and go for ring #6 rather than pick #12, #52, and next year's 4th.

Who are you drafting at 12 and 52 that could help the team more? Give me a name here. I see a few cornerbacks projected in that range, but if we keep Butler, does a #3/#4 corner have more value? Could potentially go RB, but do we need to? The #1 pick overall is the chance to add an edge monster for 5 years, I get that. But #12 is just a number until you put a name to it. The value of the draft doesn't seem to mesh with what we could use. You're basically hoping to trade down in a deep draft where it might not be so easy to do, or you're reaching for a DE.

Part of me wonders if BB is planning on keeping Jimmy G under a franchise tag. It seems insane, and yet, he has done so many things I never predicted. And maybe he thinks that it will be really hard to get another QB. The Cleveland fans (and many fans) assume that you can just draft a guy in the first round and it will all be great.

If you look at the past 10 drafts from 2006 to 2015 (excluding 2016 because it's too early), 26 QBs have been drafted in the 1st round. Only one has won a Super Bowl, Joe Flacco. 2 more have made it to a Super Bowl (Matt Ryan, Cam Newton). There are some other good QBs in that mix, but apart from Luck and the previously-mentioned guys, nobody who is hands-down better than Jimmy G in that mix. Out of those 26, maybe Ryan will make the HOF if he has some huge years. There are no locks though.

And if you look at the successors of great QBs, it's rarely Favre to Rodgers, Montana to Young. And it's important to note while all of those guys are HOFers, Rodgers and Young never made it to more than 1 Super Bowl, so even then you can't expect anything close to what we're living through now.

Then you look at the Bills. From Kelly to...Todd Collins?!? Flutie, Rob Johnson (including 1st names for some of these guys cuz nobody knows who the hell they are), Alex Van Pelt, Bledsoe, Kelly Holcomb, JP Losman, Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick, EJ Manuel, and now Tyrod Taylor, and over 2 decades have passed yet they still haven't found anyone half as good as Kelly.

Great QBs are hard to find. There are only 26 HOF QBs from the modern era, with a few more currently playing. So if you think Jimmy G is going to be a great one, you should do anything and everything to keep him or acquire him. If you think he's only good, fine, I understand not wanting to break the bank. But if you go through your tape and study him and honestly believe he will be great, there's no excuse not to do everything you can to get him, because great QBs are hard to find.

That's something that Browns fans don't really get. They think they'll be able to find one with a ton of draft picks. They're not always available. And it's something Patriots fans are easy to dismiss because we've been so spoiled the past few decades. Even Bledsoe at his worst here was more than Browns fans could have dreamed of. Brian Sipes is their career leader in passing, Bernie Kosar was their hero. And they are going to **** on Jimmy G? Give me a ****ing break.

Last edited:
The Pats were supposed to get first round picks for Mallett and Cassel, too. It isn't happening for Garoppolo. People need to get used to that. If, IF the Pats move Garoppolo, it'll probably be for a package of picks, the highest of which is more than likely going to be a second rounder. I'd be surprised if a team was dumb enough to give up a first for a guy that played 5 1/2 quarters of football on film.

Are you patronizing the coach? You can't do that, that is against Sea Law.
They wouldn't say no if we asked for those picks, of course if they said no the answer is no but, they wouldn't say no they would never say no....

It's amazing how many people see Garrapolo as a LOCK FRANCHISE QB. He's played 5 1/2 quarters there is absolutely no way to know this.

Played 5 1/2 and got injured and then decided to rule himself out just hours before a game forcing Belichick to rip up the game plan and use a limited game plan of what they used against Houston against Buffalo because he had to start a rookie that had a thumb injury on his throwing hand that required surgery.

If people don't think Belichick is hesitant about him being the future after that then they don't know Belichick. All this "Pats see him as the future" is stuff they are feeding to the media.

I'm just saying to people don't be surprised when it gets near the draft and we see Garoppolo to the Browns for #33, #52 and 1 of the Browns 2nd round picks in '18.

Brady isn't done after next year and they aren't going to franchise or extend Garoppolo. Belichick is gonna want to get something for him and they aren't gonna settle for just a 3rd round comp in '19.

And before anyone says "Pats don't trust Brissett as the backup". Belichick trusted rookie Brian Hoyer to be the only backup they year Brady came back from his knee injury.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick