PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mary Cabot: The Browns will not give up their number one pick or multiple first rounders for Jimmy

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

If what Mary Cabot says is true, would you still deal Jimmy G.?

• Yes. I would take whatever I can get, especially if it includes the #12 overall pick

Votes: 28 28.0%
  • Perhaps, but their offer has to include a couple more picks, including a 2nd rounder. Or NO DEAL

Votes: 34 34.0%
  • No. Jimmy G will still be in New England if the compensation does not include multiple 1's

Votes: 38 38.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never heard of this person.

I would have agreed with this before Brock Osweiler helped the Broncos win the Super Bowl. Now I'm not so sure.

If Jacoby could keep us a float a few weeks during a non-season-ending injury for Brady, sure. But if we're not so sure about that (and this year's schedule looks much tougher than last year's), then I'd rather hold onto him and go for ring #6 rather than pick #12, #52, and next year's 4th.

Who are you drafting at 12 and 52 that could help the team more? Give me a name here. I see a few cornerbacks projected in that range, but if we keep Butler, does a #3/#4 corner have more value? Could potentially go RB, but do we need to? The #1 pick overall is the chance to add an edge monster for 5 years, I get that. But #12 is just a number until you put a name to it. The value of the draft doesn't seem to mesh with what we could use. You're basically hoping to trade down in a deep draft where it might not be so easy to do, or you're reaching for a DE.

Part of me wonders if BB is planning on keeping Jimmy G under a franchise tag. It seems insane, and yet, he has done so many things I never predicted. And maybe he thinks that it will be really hard to get another QB. The Cleveland fans (and many fans) assume that you can just draft a guy in the first round and it will all be great.

If you look at the past 10 drafts from 2006 to 2015 (excluding 2016 because it's too early), 26 QBs have been drafted in the 1st round. Only one has won a Super Bowl, Joe Flacco. 2 more have made it to a Super Bowl (Matt Ryan, Cam Newton). There are some other good QBs in that mix, but apart from Luck, nobody who is hands-down better than Jimmy G in that mix. Out of those 26, maybe Ryan will make the HOF if he has some huge years. There are no locks though.

And if you look at the successors of great QBs, it's rarely Favre to Rodgers, Montana to Young. And it's important to note while all of those guys are HOFers, Rodgers and Young never made it to more than 1 Super Bowl, so even then you can't expect anything close to what we're living through now.

Then you look at the Bills. From Kelly to...Todd Collins?!? Flutie, Rob Johnson

Fine......in the words of one Italian gentleman...

"Fuh get Bout it!!!" :cool::D

(including 1st names for some of these guys cuz nobody knows who the hell they are), Alex Van Pelt, Bledsoe, Kelly Holcomb, JP Losman, Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick, EJ Manuel, and now Tyrod Taylor, and over 2 decades have passed yet they still haven't found anyone half as good as Kelly.

Great QBs are hard to find. There are only 26 HOF QBs from the modern era, with a few more currently playing. So if you think Jimmy G is going to be a great one, you should do anything and everything to keep him or acquire him. If you think he's only good, fine, I understand not wanting to break the bank. But if you go through your tape and study him and honestly believe he will be great, there's no excuse not to do everything you can to get him, because great QBs are hard to find.

That's something that Browns fans don't really get. They think they'll be able to find one with a ton of draft picks. They're not always available. And it's something Patriots fans are easy to dismiss because we've been so spoiled the past few decades. Even Bledsoe at his worst here was more than Browns fans could have dreamed of. Brian Sipes is their career leader in passing, Bernie Kosar was their hero. And they are going to **** on Jimmy G? Give me a ****ing break.

I'm pretty sure before any trade the browns would want to sign JG to a long term contract or else no trade. If JG didn't want to go to cleveland all he would have to do is to refuse to sign one. So he does have some say in it, although if the browns offer oswiler money that would be awfully hard to turn down.

The Mary Cabot tweet is not news. No one really thought the Browns were giving up either the #1 overall selection OR multiple first round picks. Best case for Jimmy G. is Drew Brees, but that is a long shot. Taking JG and expecting him to be franchise quarterback carries a moderate amount of risk. He is NOT a fully proven commodity and both BB and Browns know that.
This is all a game between BB and Browns. No trade will happen until right before the draft.
A trade probably will happen because it makes too much sense to not happen. So we all will have to sit tight until last week of April.
The absolute best and fairest return to expect is #12 and a 3 this year and a #4 next year which could escalate to a 2 based on performance.
If this trade goes down in April, Pats fans should be ecstatic.

The one wild card is if somehow BB or McDaniels suspects Brady will not be playing after for Patriots after 2017/2018, obviously if that were the case they should NOT trade JG under any circumstances.

I can't sit tight! The waiting on this and High is killing me! I can't believe my heart has survived 7 close SB's.

These reporters are being used and abused by BB and Sashi.

They are like kids passing notes in study hall

I don't get why everyone is in a panic to trade JG. Has everyone forgotten what it's like to root for a team without a QB? It's the equivalent of neutering your team. As good as the Pats roster is, they would be lucky to get 8 & 8 with Brisset at QB.

Brady is 40. All the guacamole ice cream in the world won't beat Father Time. JG is as good as any under 30 QB in the league and positions the Pats to be perennial SuperBowl contenders for the next decade. Trading him for anything less than another franchise QB would be the dumbest thing the Pats could do.

This is my opinion on the matter. First off know one knows if this is true. Its called negotiating and the Browns could just be playing hardball. Second even if Browns aren't willing to trade the 1st pick or their 12th this year and 1st rd pick next year Bill could still accept the 12th this year. Once again its called
negotiating and Bill is trying to maximize what he can get for trading Jimmy. He may just settle for the 12th pick. Final point everyone is so worried about if we should be trading Jimmy or not. If Bill keeps him it is this simple: Bill sees Jimmy as the future. Point blank. It does not matter even if we have to spend 40M to keep 2 QB's for a couple years. We may lose out on maximizing Brady's final years but Bill has shown he values long term excellence over the short term. And it is not like we still wouldn't be competing for SB's if Brady is still Brady. He has shown that he can still compete for SB's with jags on the roster. So me personally I'm going to sit back/relax and trust in the decision Bill makes regardless of the outcome.

They wouldn't say no if we asked for those picks, of course if they said no the answer is no but, they wouldn't say no they would never say no....

Because they can't. Because of the Implication.

Browns play their cards right they might be pretty good by around 2021-22! :)

Played 5 1/2 and got injured and then decided to rule himself out just hours before a game forcing Belichick to rip up the game plan and use a limited game plan of what they used against Houston against Buffalo because he had to start a rookie that had a thumb injury on his throwing hand that required surgery.

If people don't think Belichick is hesitant about him being the future after that then they don't know Belichick. All this "Pats see him as the future" is stuff they are feeding to the media.

I'm just saying to people don't be surprised when it gets near the draft and we see Garoppolo to the Browns for #33, #52 and 1 of the Browns 2nd round picks in '18.

Brady isn't done after next year and they aren't going to franchise or extend Garoppolo. Belichick is gonna want to get something for him and they aren't gonna settle for just a 3rd round comp in '19.

And before anyone says "Pats don't trust Brissett as the backup". Belichick trusted rookie Brian Hoyer to be the only backup they year Brady came back from his knee injury.

I agree on Brady but I'll be bummed if they don't get a first for Garrapolo. I think he could turn into a good QB I just don't get the certainty so many seem to have that he's a lock to be great. I would rather see them hang onto him for next season than fold for 2nd round picks.

At this point this seems like a poker game between Cleveland and New England and I'll just go with Belichick to take the pot.

I would have agreed with this before Brock Osweiler helped the Broncos win the Super Bowl. Now I'm not so sure.

If Jacoby could keep us a float a few weeks during a non-season-ending injury for Brady, sure. But if we're not so sure about that (and this year's schedule looks much tougher than last year's), then I'd rather hold onto him and go for ring #6 rather than pick #12, #52, and next year's 4th.

Who are you drafting at 12 and 52 that could help the team more? Give me a name here. I see a few cornerbacks projected in that range, but if we keep Butler, does a #3/#4 corner have more value? Could potentially go RB, but do we need to? The #1 pick overall is the chance to add an edge monster for 5 years, I get that. But #12 is just a number until you put a name to it. The value of the draft doesn't seem to mesh with what we could use. You're basically hoping to trade down in a deep draft where it might not be so easy to do, or you're reaching for a DE.

Part of me wonders if BB is planning on keeping Jimmy G under a franchise tag. It seems insane, and yet, he has done so many things I never predicted. And maybe he thinks that it will be really hard to get another QB. The Cleveland fans (and many fans) assume that you can just draft a guy in the first round and it will all be great.

If you look at the past 10 drafts from 2006 to 2015 (excluding 2016 because it's too early), 26 QBs have been drafted in the 1st round. Only one has won a Super Bowl, Joe Flacco. 2 more have made it to a Super Bowl (Matt Ryan, Cam Newton). There are some other good QBs in that mix, but apart from Luck and the previously-mentioned guys, nobody who is hands-down better than Jimmy G in that mix. Out of those 26, maybe Ryan will make the HOF if he has some huge years. There are no locks though.

And if you look at the successors of great QBs, it's rarely Favre to Rodgers, Montana to Young. And it's important to note while all of those guys are HOFers, Rodgers and Young never made it to more than 1 Super Bowl, so even then you can't expect anything close to what we're living through now.

Then you look at the Bills. From Kelly to...Todd Collins?!? Flutie, Rob Johnson (including 1st names for some of these guys cuz nobody knows who the hell they are), Alex Van Pelt, Bledsoe, Kelly Holcomb, JP Losman, Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick, EJ Manuel, and now Tyrod Taylor, and over 2 decades have passed yet they still haven't found anyone half as good as Kelly.

Great QBs are hard to find. There are only 26 HOF QBs from the modern era, with a few more currently playing. So if you think Jimmy G is going to be a great one, you should do anything and everything to keep him or acquire him. If you think he's only good, fine, I understand not wanting to break the bank. But if you go through your tape and study him and honestly believe he will be great, there's no excuse not to do everything you can to get him, because great QBs are hard to find.

That's something that Browns fans don't really get. They think they'll be able to find one with a ton of draft picks. They're not always available. And it's something Patriots fans are easy to dismiss because we've been so spoiled the past few decades. Even Bledsoe at his worst here was more than Browns fans could have dreamed of. Brian Sipes is their career leader in passing, Bernie Kosar was their hero. And they are going to **** on Jimmy G? Give me a ****ing break.

Bravo. Great post.

Miles Garrett is a shiny toy. He's not bringing a championship - look at JJ Watt's rings.

If BB thinks Jimmy G has the chops to be the NEXT GUY, Cleveland or someone else will have to blow him out of the water with an offer, or yes, he'll keep Jimmy as long as he possibly can as QB insurance.

If Cleveland thinks he's the NEXT GUY, they'll hand over the ransom, if they're smart. If they're stubborn, they'll wallow with shiny toys.

I don't get why everyone is in a panic to trade JG. Has everyone forgotten what it's like to root for a team without a QB? It's the equivalent of neutering your team. As good as the Pats roster is, they would be lucky to get 8 & 8 with Brisset at QB.

Brady is 40. All the guacamole ice cream in the world won't beat Father Time. JG is as good as any under 30 QB in the league and positions the Pats to be perennial SuperBowl contenders for the next decade. Trading him for anything less than another franchise QB would be the dumbest thing the Pats could do.

Whatever you say Max.

The browns will obviously posture as needed to bring the price down

But end of day they will give up whatever it takes to get him, they have a team w no vet leaders, the QB they bring in will be prime to make it his team immediately...they want someone good and someone young and someone who knows how the NFL runs

The Mary Cabot tweet is not news. No one really thought the Browns were giving up either the #1 overall selection OR multiple first round picks. Best case for Jimmy G. is Drew Brees, but that is a long shot. Taking JG and expecting him to be franchise quarterback carries a moderate amount of risk. He is NOT a fully proven commodity and both BB and Browns know that.
This is all a game between BB and Browns. No trade will happen until right before the draft.
A trade probably will happen because it makes too much sense to not happen. So we all will have to sit tight until last week of April.
The absolute best and fairest return to expect is #12 and a 3 this year and a #4 next year which could escalate to a 2 based on performance.
If this trade goes down in April, Pats fans should be ecstatic.

The one wild card is if somehow BB or McDaniels suspects Brady will not be playing after for Patriots after 2017/2018, obviously if that were the case they should NOT trade JG under any circumstances.

The stupidest thing I have thought of (and not posted...until now...) is that BB is loading up for a run at 19-0 this year. If we go 19-0, win it all, maybe Brady says, enough, that's 6, that's a perfect season, I can walk away. Then BB can proceed with Jimmy G.

Again, it's dumb. It's a 0.00000001% chance. But it's stuck in my head.

The other uncomfortable thought in my mind is that Brady is going to get cut one day. It will be terrible. But for an organization that has been ruthless in their quest of value, that would be the final deathblow of sentimentality. And this will get a ton of dislikes, and if I could dislike my own post, I would. Actually, can I? I will try after posting. But BB flipping Tom for a 1st after a 6th ring so he can keep Jimmy is something nobody would ever have the balls to do, except for maybe BB.

Edit: Nope, can't dislike my own post.

Patsfan JAG fans have seriously over valued JAG's worth to other teams' GMs with fanboi fantasies of multiple firsts or the #1 pick.

Lol!
Yeah I'm sure BB has no idea.
I'm sure BB has some thoughts on the matter but none of us have any clue what those thoughts are, so to reference BB here as if he agrees that Garoppolo is a franchise QB is silliness.

I'm sure BB has some thoughts on the matter but none of us have any clue what those thoughts are, so to reference BB here as if he agrees that Garoppolo is a franchise QB is silliness.
The fact that he's not willing to trade him for anything less than what he values him at says everything I need to know.
I suppose I'm silly.

It could be posturing, but IMO he has much more value to the Pats then what they've been offered for him.

Last edited:
I like how both the Browns and the Patriots are posturing that there's no deal to be had.

But the Patriots have traded away their draft picks and the Browns have cut one QB and are actively trying to move the other.

It's like both of them are taking their clothes off while saying they don't wanna bang.

The fact that he's not willing to trade him for anything less than what he values him at says everything I need to know.
I suppose I'm silly.
And how do you know what Belichick values Garoppolo at? Did he make some public statement on the matter? Maybe he announced it on the Patriots website, giving a complete breakdown of what he expects to get in trade and why?

Yes, you are indeed being silly if you think you have the first clue what Belichick thinks. All we have are completely unfounded - and often contradictory - rumors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes