PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Poll: If you were the Browns GM, would you trade #1 overall for Garopollo?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Would you trade the first pick in the draft for JG, if you thought he was going to be great?

• Yes

Votes: 74 48.7%
  • No

Votes: 78 51.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The Browns are enamored with Garoppolo and clearly think he is a long-time franchise quarterback. They are making a big run for him and have made it public knowledge that they would like to pry him loose from the Patriots.

Now the word is they wouldn't be willing to give up their #1 overall pick.

May I ask why not?

Do they really think that an elite defensive end is going to turn around the fortunes of this franchise, which always brings in lottery players only to see them wasted with teams that have no chance?

I just don't get it...it's kind of like the idea that JJ Watt was the best player in the league, yet even though he was by far the most valuable pass rusher, his overall impact on the team's win/loss record is minimal compared to any quarterback. Would anyone really take a healthy Watt over a great quarterback if given a choice of one or the other?

Easy, if you identify a QB as "The Guy", you trade near whatever it takes. If you have no QB then it doesn't matter who you have on your team.

No defensive player will take you to the promised land. JJ Watt? How about soon to be HoFer Jason Taylor? Multiple DPoY awards and zero titles.

Such is why the Browns will be the Browns.

Easy, if you identify a QB as "The Guy", you trade near whatever it takes. If you have no QB then it doesn't matter who you have on your team.

No defensive player will take you to the promised land. JJ Watt? How about soon to be HoFer Jason Taylor? Multiple DPoY awards and zero titles.

Such is why the Browns will be the Browns.

I agree, but only if you're DAAAAMMMNNNN sure that the QB you're trading for is going to be The Guy

Last edited:
I voted no because I would rather trade the #12, a second rounder this year and another next year. The number one pick could be used to get Garrett and use the rest of the picks to build up the O line.

Listening to a former NFL GM on the radio today explaining how unprepared college QBs are for the NFL these days......especially the mental game. Half of them are reading cards from the sidelines instead of reading defenses. Many have never been under center. And the best prospects have so little experience by coming out early.

Good luck Cleveland

There are two types of teams in the nfl, those with a quality qb and those with a garbage qb.

If you have a garbage qb and you have a chance to get a quality qb, you do whatever it takes to get one.

Regrets need only be for jets fans!

I voted no because I would rather trade the #12, a second rounder this year and another next year. The number one pick could be used to get Garrett and use the rest of the picks to build up the O line.

Problem is those picks make your overall team better yet too bad to win it all, and too good to get a high QB pick. Wasteland in the NFL.

What would be sad/hilarious would be for TB to hang them up after this season and Cleveland sees Jimmy just continue to dominance while Myles Garrett gets DPOY awards and the Pats get Super Bowls.

I would do it but ideally I would use #12 and other picks instead of #1.

They have a good O-Line now on paper after signing Zeitler and Tretter and signing Bitonio to an extension. They signed Kenny Britt and drafted Corey Coleman and a bunch of other WRs last year. The offense could be decent with a good QB.

Use #1 and the majority of your picks on defense and if you actually make some good picks and Jimmy works out then you could go from 1-15 to being a playoff team in a season or two.

No. But because I think I could get him for #12 (plus some other things) and I'd try to move the #1 for other picks/pieces. They need everything. No one player turns that around.

The TB12 circa 2001 thread was fun read, because its occasionally amusing to think about the various permutations of Pats history if BB had chosen differently, or just not stuck to his guns that year. If CLE really thinks JG is that level player then sure you can trade #1 for him and figure the rest out, just not sure how they could get to that level of confidence from the outside looking in. BB got to look at TB in action/camp/locker room for over a year before getting a free live action sneak preview due to injury. CLE wouldnt have that "luxury" if you can call it that, in this case. #1 plus almost immediate $20m/yr deal. Tough call.

I don't think so, if only because I don't think the market requires a price like that. At the moment Cleveland is bidding against itself pretty heavily. I think it's in their best interest to play out the string, let Brady make it clear where he stands, and then once Belichick is comfortable with where Brady is, come back with a strong offer for Garoppolo then.

I think that time is actually the Browns' best ally right now and if any trade is done it may very well be done on draft day -- or later, no one is under any illusions that even with Garoppolo in the fold Cleveland will be drafting outside the top 15 next offseason.

Alternatively in cleveland's place, especially with so many needs, I'd trade down the #1 pick for another top 10 first and whatever else you can get and use some of those resources to bolster the trade offer. Having the first is a trade chip is kind of like that Mark Twain story about the "vest pocket million pounder," a guy with nothing in the world but a banknote for a ridiculous sum, its possession defines you but it is way too valuable to spend on any one need, and good luck getting change!

Trade it to another team that can dangle a top 15 pick plus a few seconds and thirds, and really fill out your roster with young talent. Turn around #12 or the other first plus a few seconds and a future first. if BB still doesn't bite then it's clear he has no intention of trading Jimmy G so it's time to keep your powder dry, bring in some washed up place holder and try to draft some project QB's in the hopes that you'll hit gold with one.

Problem is those picks make your overall team better yet too bad to win it all, and too good to get a high QB pick. Wasteland in the NFL.

What would be sad/hilarious would be for TB to hang them up after this season and Cleveland sees Jimmy just continue to dominance while Myles Garrett gets DPOY awards and the Pats get Super Bowls.

Sorry. I wasn't clear enough. I meant I would trade the #12 plus other picks for JG and keep the #1 for Garrett. I don't think it has to be the first pick to get JG. They have a ton of picks and could trade a similar value worth of picks for JG while still holding on to the #1 pick.

Sorry. I wasn't clear enough. I meant I would trade the #12 plus other picks for JG and keep the #1 for Garrett. I don't think it has to be the first pick to get JG. They have a ton of picks and could trade a similar value worth of picks for JG while still holding on to the #1 pick.

But apparently the Patriots will only consider this trade for #1 overall. Cleveland has allegedly (via reports) been offering a package of picks to no avail. And it may be that, from the Patriots perspective, they have a deep, stacked roster, so they would prefer a superstar player.

If Goropollo was coming out of college for this years draft and assuming he possessed all the tools he currently possesses (obtained by attending 3 training camps, 2 real game experiences and mentored by Brady, etc.), he would be a #1 pick.

If Jimmy is THE ONE, then you trade a slew of picks for him. The number one pick is just a placeholder. It holds no real value unless the player you pick there turns into a stud.

I believe Garrett will be that star player, but again, he's just a defensive end. You need those, but you aren't going anywhere without a QB. They are exponentially more important than any other position.

Regardless, I'm not sure how convincing Jimmy's case is as THE GUY right now. I voted yes though. If I were the Browns I'd give up more than the number one for him in order to have a legit QB on the team.

you offer #16 (or whatever number it is they have)

if BB doesn't budge for trading JG for #16, you can be damn sure BB thinks he is a keeper, so when you realize that, you offer whatever it takes, starting w/ the first overall for him

the fact that BB thinks he is worth more than #16 is all the assurance in the world anyone in football should need that it's worth the shot

But apparently the Patriots will only consider this trade for #1 overall. Cleveland has allegedly (via reports) been offering a package of picks to no avail. And it may be that, from the Patriots perspective, they have a deep, stacked roster, so they would prefer a superstar player.

Sure that's could be but the question was if I was the GM.

But I would also add that if I was the GM Troy Brown would still be on the roster. :D

Edit: Nevermind. Wrong GM. Anyways it's good for both the Pats and the Browns I'm not.

If Goropollo was coming out of college for this years draft and assuming he possessed all the tools he currently possesses (obtained by attending 3 training camps, 2 real game experiences and mentored by Brady, etc.), he would be a #1 pick.
There are at least a few QBs in this year's draft that could be as good as Jimmy is now (given the same three years as Jimmy). The issue is that Jimmy is most definitely better than any rookie QB coming out now, but he gets expensive next year and is already over 4 years older than most rookies.
Yes the current version of Jimmy would be the number one pick, but Jimmy coming out of college may not be the best QB prospect in the draft.
I agree that a team should give up anything to get the right franchise QB, but when that team guesses wrong they turn into the Browns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back