PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mary Cabot: The Browns will not give up their number one pick or multiple first rounders for Jimmy

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

If what Mary Cabot says is true, would you still deal Jimmy G.?

• Yes. I would take whatever I can get, especially if it includes the #12 overall pick

Votes: 28 28.0%
  • Perhaps, but their offer has to include a couple more picks, including a 2nd rounder. Or NO DEAL

Votes: 34 34.0%
  • No. Jimmy G will still be in New England if the compensation does not include multiple 1's

Votes: 38 38.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul_Survivor88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score

Fine......in the words of one Italian gentleman...

"Fuh get Bout it!!!" :cool::D

Then no deal is going to happen. The Browns would be smarter to start Osweiler and really suck again, ensuring those multiple 1st's and 2nd's are high picks. This gives their young players time to develop and then they have the ammunition to get a franchise (projected) QB in the 2018 Draft. Osweiler comes off the books in 2018 and the Browns will have the money and picks to go after their QB then. The Patriots are all set as it is, especially if they sign Hightower, so they can keep Garrapolo another season.

"and I doubt they'll be willing to surrender what it takes"

So just another opinion from someone not even quoting an inside source.

I'm not saying she's wrong, but then again, this GM has a LOT of draftpicks to play with.

Maybe Draft Day Bill will come to his senses and take #12 and a third and a second next year. Which I think is fair compensation for Jimmy.

There was no way in hell they were going to give up #1. And 2 first rounders lol. Honestly if anyone ever even suggested the Pats pay something like this for a player everyone here would laugh. Not sure why the Browns would do it no matter how desperate they are.

And that's why the Browns are, and will be for a long time, a loser organization. A potential top QB is worth more than what the Browns will get at #1.

Newsflash to the Browns....you can't win without a QB and right now y'all have no QB except the waste of a roster spot Osweiler.

Glad to hear it.
Sending him to the browns would be a huge kick in To Jimmy's nuts.
He deserves a hell of a lot better.
I'm pretty sure before any trade the browns would want to sign JG to a long term contract or else no trade. If JG didn't want to go to cleveland all he would have to do is to refuse to sign one. So he does have some say in it, although if the browns offer oswiler money that would be awfully hard to turn down.

I never even thought about BB asking for the Brown's #1 pick in the draft.....The #12 pick plus other one or two would let him recoup a lot of his lost draft capital with his FA signings and trades. The other up side to that would be not having to pay for a #1 draft pick.....altho the Pats still do have a lot of capital to sign other important players.....*cough* Hightower *cough*....... ;)

And that's why the Browns are, and will be for a long time, a loser organization. A potential top QB is worth more than what the Browns will get at #1.

Newsflash to the Browns....you can't win without a QB and right now y'all have no QB except the waste of a roster spot Osweiler.
\
Depends on how hard we're flogging the word "potential" here. The more we hammer the point of Jimmy G's potential, the more the Browns should probably just jeep the picks and grab their "p0tential" from the draft.

if the Browns were completely convinced (not just the fans but the org) that this kid really was ready to be a franchise QB right out of the box, no price would be high.

If WE were convinced of that, we would trade Brady before we traded Garoppolo.

And when it comes to the Browns, we're talking about needing a QB that has demonstrated that he can play well for a mediocre team. Jimmy G hasn't demonstrated he's capable of that.

Neither side being sure that Jimmy G is ready now to be a franchise star on their team... I'm sorry, the Browns are right not to spend a king's ransom for him.

Last edited:
If Jimmy walks in Free Agency, the Pats will still receive a 3rd round compensatory pick
But that's a year after he walks in free agency. So its likely an end of the 3rd round in 2019.

*Cue the Always Sunny theme*

4SmW6jd.png

Then no deal is going to happen. The Browns would be smarter to start Osweiler and really suck again, ensuring those multiple 1st's and 2nd's are high picks. This gives their young players time to develop and then they have the ammunition to get a franchise (projected) QB in the 2018 Draft. Osweiler comes off the books in 2018 and the Browns will have the money and picks to go after their QB then. The Patriots are all set as it is, especially if they sign Hightower, so they can keep Garrapolo another season.

That's a position of diminishing returns in a short while as those pick hit option years and UFA.

Browns are going nowhere without a QB. It's that simple. The DPOY couldn't save the raiders when Carr went down.

browns want their shiny toy in Garret? Cool - maybe they'll win a few more games, then have no QB options again next year.

BB isn't letting him walk in free agency.
Can't believe anyone would believe that.
Potential franchise QB's coming off rookie contracts don't walk.
He is clearly viewed as such here.

This is probably their best bet. If nothing else Jimmy will be available next year as there is no way the Pats will pay $22 million for him if they franchise him. If no one is trading for him cheap this year then they definitely wont with a bloated 1 year salary next year. I honestly think the Pats are overplaying their hand with this. They are going to lose Jimmy for a 3rd round comp pick when they could get 2-3 more (plus a first rounder) extra picks if they deal him now.

I can't say for sure as I dont have access to all the info on the situation, but the Pats asking price is baffling. I guess they are hoping the Browns waffle and cave in but its not going to happen. The only way this makes any sense to me is if Brady is gone after next year. And I highly doubt that.

Probably the smartest thing they've done. Trading multiple picks, including a top 15 selection in this year's draft for a QB that played 5 1/2 quarters of good football before getting his shoulder crushed is a move that can easily come back to bite them in the ass and set them back for another 5 years. As a Pats fan, I was hoping it would happen and this news disappoints me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News