PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mary Cabot: The Browns will not give up their number one pick or multiple first rounders for Jimmy

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

If what Mary Cabot says is true, would you still deal Jimmy G.?

• Yes. I would take whatever I can get, especially if it includes the #12 overall pick

Votes: 28 28.0%
  • Perhaps, but their offer has to include a couple more picks, including a 2nd rounder. Or NO DEAL

Votes: 34 34.0%
  • No. Jimmy G will still be in New England if the compensation does not include multiple 1's

Votes: 38 38.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if the Pats don't trade JG this off season then... What does that mean to you?

They didn't get a good enough offer. Garrapolo will leave in free agency rather than wait until 2022 to start.

I wouldnt send a qb i hated to the browns.. Unless i really wanted to kill his career. I say he gets kept and ends up starting in like. 2020.

I envision Brady playing two years. I know he said five but thats not realistic to expect.

I've just noticed some interesting language in a couple of Schefter's statements about the Pats not trading Garropolo.

You guys can keep it alive and keep talking about it and keep wondering, but I am just telling you Jimmy Garoppolo is going to be on the Patriots in 2017 no matter who calls them and what anybody offers,” Schefter said. “He’s going to be on their roster this summer.”

"I know situations do change over time and there will continue to be questions," said Schefter. "I'm just telling you, when the Patriots go to camp, Jimmy Garoppolo is going to be on the roster."

So if it's a question of the Pats not wanting to trade Garropolo period, why, in two seperate statements does he hedge by talking about training camp and this summer? It's not as though JG is likely to be a cut during camp so why not just say next season? Unless...

1. The Pats want to try to negotiate an extension between now and TC.
2. Or, They want to get another look at Brissett to make sure he's up to backing up Brady
3. And/or, BB doesn't see the roster value in adding picks in this draft - evidence does seem to back this up with him trading out of the first two rounds and the rumour he's said that he doesn't see the value of a player at 12 - and if he's going to trade JG, then he'd rather do it for picks in next years draft.
4. It might even be that he's come to some sort of arrangement with the Browns in getting them to wait until the summer. It will be interesting to see whether or not they draft a QB early in the draft. If they don't, maybe there is some sort of arrangement in place. This is complete speculation of course.

I've just noticed some interesting language in a couple of Schefter's statements about the Pats not trading Garropolo.

So if it's a question of the Pats not wanting to trade Garropolo period, why, in two seperate statements does he hedge by talking about training camp and this summer? It's not as though JG is likely to be a cut during camp so why not just say next season? Unless...

1. The Pats want to try to negotiate an extension between now and TC.
2. Or, They want to get another look at Brissett to make sure he's up to backing up Brady
3. And/or, BB doesn't see the roster value in adding picks in this draft - evidence does seem to back this up with him trading out of the first two rounds and the rumour he's said that he doesn't see the value of a player at 12 - and if he's going to trade JG, then he'd rather do it for picks in next years draft.
4. It might even be that he's come to some sort of arrangement with the Browns in getting them to wait until the summer. It will be interesting to see whether or not they draft a QB early in the draft. If they don't, maybe there is some sort of arrangement in place. This is complete speculation of course.

First, this is a very good draft. And BB loves having draft picks. So why wait? Especially if NE is truly in the win now mindset?

If you want to trade JG, the best time to do so is right now. If you wait, you very likely will get less value.

Glad to hear it.
Sending him to the browns would be a huge kick To Jimmy's nuts.
He deserves a hell of a lot better.

Why? if he does not want to stay he can leave at the end of the year or get paid 20 mil

Why? if he does not want to stay he can leave at the end of the year or get paid 20 mil
Worst case scenario for those in the camp of "trade him for what we can get" he's tagged and traded next offseason.
I don't believe for one second BB will take anything less, than what he values JAG at, this year.

First, this is a very good draft. And BB loves having draft picks. So why wait? Especially if NE is truly in the win now mindset?

If you want to trade JG, the best time to do so is right now. If you wait, you very likely will get less value.

Because there aren't many roster spots for a potential starter taken in the first two rounds. Perhaps BB sees more value in being comfortable with Brissett as a backup before trading JG than he does drafting someone in the first two rounds that won't play very much and for whom you waste a year of their rookie contract.

Trading for Jimmy G in the summer makes no sense for the Browns. They would want him around the time of the draft so he can study the O prior to the OTA;s. They would want him there for OTA's and doing more film prep so he is ready to go with a sense of the O for a full TC.

I doubt we get the Browns #1 overall, we have a good shot at getting their number 12 If they can't find anyone worth drafting in the first...I really don't see many QBs in this years draft becoming successful NFL starters, even someone like Watson is not ready to start for a franchise, he is a project and may not work out.

People get too hung up on "ooooh it's the #1 pick"! Who are they going to draft with it? Mitch Trubisky? He has bust written all over him. Myles Garrett? Browns already have a player just like him in Ogbah.

A QB is a necessity for them; another d-line player is just a luxury.

One thing I do not understand is why the potential trade of Garoppolo is focused on only one team. Yes the Browns have loads of draft picks, but that does not make them the only potential trading partner. The Niners and Texans are in just as much need of a starting QB.

SF has the #2 pick in each of the first four rounds (#2, 34, 66 & 109 overall), a 4th round comp (143) plus five late picks. Right now their QB depth chart consists of Brian Hoyer and Matt Barkley.

Houston doesn't have as many quality picks to offer but they don't have the need to fill in as many holes as the Browns or Niners do either. The Texans own one pick in each round: #25, 57, 89, 131, 169, 188 and 243. Houston could easily sweeten the pot by adding a player, as well as future draft picks. Currently the Texans only have Tom Savage and Brandon Weeden at QB.

One other possibility is the Jets. While it seems extremely unlikely that Belichick would want to deal with them, don't forget that he did trade Drew Bledsoe within the division. If the two sides were able to communicate with each other - perhaps with Nick Caserio taking the lead - perhaps a deal could be made with Gang Green. With Geno Smith and Ryan Fitzpatrick both free agents, the Jet depth chart at QB consists of Bryce Petty, Christian Hackenberg and Jason Vander Laan. The Jets own four picks in the first three rounds (#6, 39, 70 and 107), and one in each of the last three (5.150, 6.191 and 7.224). They clearly have the need; the question is whether one or both sides would refuse to consider a trade.

I know teams covet their draft picks, but the reality is that the draft is a crap shoot. If the scarcity of quarterbacks causes the market for a Mike Glennon to be paid $15 million per year with $19 million guaranteed, then Cleveland should not be the only team interested in Jimmy Garoppolo; these three other teams should be calling Gillette Stadium to play Let's Make A Deal as well.

Option 1-I still think a dark horse might be K.C. Alex Smith has taken them as far as he can. Maybe the Niners get Alex Smith back, we get the Chiefs first pick for Jimmy G and a second and third from the Niners and they get Smith. We get a first, second (very high) and a third (we restock)

Option 2-Bill's in a trading mode. The Texans need a QB and are looking at Butler. A #2 for Butler will not work.
Would B.O. consider a QB with a minimum few snaps again? The good news is he gets him cheap to find out this year. The TRADE=Butler and Jimmy G for J.J. Watt and Titans second round pick. A lot stones required on each side.

Option 3-Has anyone thought that BB might have a glimmer of compassion in his older years and not want to see Jimmy G wind up in Cleveland? That being said. .......The Browns #1, #32 and Joe Haden plus a 2018 second rounder for Jimmy G and Butler? Too much? Too little?
DW Yoys

They didn't get a good enough offer. Garrapolo will leave in free agency rather than wait until 2022 to start.

Possibly but doubtful. The #12 pick is at least on the table so if the don't take it then that doesn't make sense. I don't feel like re typing the reasons why it wouldn't make sense.

Clayton thinks he will be dealt. If i am the pats i would ask for their 2018 first rounder. Give me number 33 and 56 i believe.

CBS' Will Brinson predicts the Pats will trade JG to Cleve for:
#12, 2 of their 3 2017 2nd rounders plus their 2018 2nd rounder.
Damn! What a haul! I'd do that in a heartbeat!
His reasoning is sound- Cleve would still have a ton of picks in both 2017 & 2018 and get their franchise QB.
He insinuates deal might go down on draft day. Think of how pissed all the other jealous owners would be-Pats just won 2 of 3 SBs since those owners tried to hurt Pats with deflategate; they then have dominated the offseason - then they will dominate the draft too!
Jerrah would be turning purple-all the media attention,year-round focused on the Patriots!

His reasoning is sound- Cleve would still have a ton of picks in both 2017 & 2018 and get their franchise QB.
He insinuates deal might go down on draft day. Think of how pissed all the other jealous owners would be-Pats just won 2 of 3 SBs since those owners tried to hurt Pats with deflategate; they then have dominated the offseason - then they will dominate the draft too!
Jerrah would be turning purple-all the media attention,year-round focused on the Patriots!
And if they get #11 from NO for Butler........

The next scene shows Roger Goodell beet red and trembling as he sends Mike Kensil out on a priority "integrity violations finding" mission.

Pats are preemptively docked two first and two second round picks until the findings are complete and been discussed with the Mara and Rooney families.

Yup. The problem is when NFL teams fall in love with assets but never actually get good players onto the field. QB is the #1 position of need in the NFL and the most important position. You can't start winning until you have a capable QB. Jimmy G projects to be a very good starting QB in the NFL.

Browns will continue to suck because they worry more about draft pick value than winning. And so the futility in Cleveland continues. The Bears might have an actual shot, better organization, better destination for Jimmy's career, but they have to offer pretty sweet deal or BB ain't selling.

Bears #3 pick > Browns offering #12. But I'm guessing that no 1st rounders have been offered at all by the Browns, they still hoping to get JG for a 2nd + extras and it ain't happening.

And that's why the Browns are, and will be for a long time, a loser organization. A potential top QB is worth more than what the Browns will get at #1.

Newsflash to the Browns....you can't win without a QB and right now y'all have no QB except the waste of a roster spot Osweiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes