PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady for MVP this year or is there someone more deserving?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who should win MVP?

• Tom Brady

• Carson Wentz

• Leveon Bell

• Alex Smith

• Other - Give details of your write in vote and why

• Russell Wilson

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As Deus said several weeks ago, with Manning, the sports media had looked for reasons to award him the MVP; with Brady, they look for reasons to deny him the MVP.

I think Gurley is the other guy in the race with his monster game yesterday and AB amd Wentz out. A strong finish by the Rams led by Gurley, if Brady doesn’t pad his TD stats a bit, he would be a worthy winner. Should easily clear 2k allpurpose yards and 20 tds.
As a guy who felt that both Wentz and AB were firmly in the running prior to their injuries, I think it would take 2 amazing performances from Todd Gurley to win the MVP, along with completely opposite performances from Brady.

It hasn't been "Subpar QB play over a quarter of a season".
5 picks in last 4 games is Bortlesesque.....though Bortles is lighting up the league of late. Lets call in Sanchezian

Brady is going to win the MVP by default. After all the picks he's thrown in the last few games, I was kinda disgusted and said **** the MVP. I don't really care if he doesn't win it, but I expect him to win it by default.

5 picks in last 4 games is Bortlesesque.....though Bortles is lighting up the league of late. Lets call in Sanchezian

• First, you were calling a 3 game stretch "over a quarter of a season".
  • Second, in the first game of the last 4, Brady had a 114 QB rating and threw 4 TDs. Only a complete and utter moron would call that subpar.

So just stop.

Last edited:
This isn’t baseball, nobody is going to vote based on analytics or metrics.

Whether your like it or not, stats have a lot to do with MVP voting.

Even with that being said, despite less than wonderful stats the last three weeks his stats are still good enough to win MVP.

I’m saying he hasn’t had 3 bad games and I don’t care whether he throws it in or runs it in.
He played very well vs buffalo and Pittsburgh. I can’t believe people are trying to argue that.

I fully agree. Buffalo and Pittsburgh were good games for him.

Outside of 'is player x's team in the playoffs', I think one of the first things anyone looks at for a QB is TD/INT ratio. The reality is that the last three games haven't been great for him in this department. Should we care if Lewis or Burkhead runs it in? No, but I suspect MVP voters (by default of looking at stats) might. Yards is another big stat and Brady is doing more than fine there.

I think Brady will win due to lack of competition.

I honestly hope Brady gets snubbed and they give it to someone else. I want a SB, not a regular season MVP . . . and we've seen that the surefire way to lose a SB or not even make it in recent seasons is to have your QB win the MVP award. :eek:

:D

Whether your like it or not, stats have a lot to do with MVP voting.

Even with that being said, despite less than wonderful stats the last three weeks his stats are still good enough to win MVP.

Maybe some but not like it is in baseball. Football is 100% a team sport, baseball is fundamentally an individual sport disguised as a team sport. Football stats don’t have the same significance, that’s why you don’t see anything like sabermetrics in football.

But I don’t think someone is going to choose an NFL MVP based on something like say, 1 more TD pass or one less int than the other guy. I think the fact Brady engineered a game winning drive in arguably the biggest moment of the season will play more with voters than the INT he threw earlier in the game- just like the Super Bowl.

Last edited:
In today's game a running back needs to rush for 2,000 yards to even sniff an MVP. All purpose yards aren't as important.

Gurley may not end the year leading in yards for running backs. He's currently ahead of Hunt by 13 yards. His TD numbers are great with 13 rushing and 6 receiving. But, they don't give the MVP to RB's with seasons like that. It's a great year but not an MVP one. Here are the rushing leaders for the last 5 years. Any of them win MVP?

2017 Todd Gurley (23) 1,305 LAR 13 rushing TD
2016 Ezekiel Elliott (21) 1,631 DAL 15 rushing TD
2015 Adrian Peterson (30) 1,485 MIN 11 rushing TD
2014 DeMarco Murray (26) 1,845 DAL 13 rushing TD
2013 LeSean McCoy (25) 1,607 PHI 9 rushing TD

Last RB to win it was Peterson in 2012 with 2,097 yards and 12 rushing TD. Gurley isn't there. The bar is just more attainable for QB's.

All that said, Wentz was going to win it if he stayed healthy. He still has more TD's and fewer INT's than Brady. But whatever. Like most here have said Lombardi's are all that matter.

a win vs Jetzs and its a lock for Brady

latest

Inanimate Carbon Rod for MVP!

Brady is 40. He will get a lot of votes just for being in the conversation at age 40.

It’s very close to a lock IMO.

If this was Peyton Manning, there would be no media debate.

Alas, the media simply isn't able to say "Yeah, Brady is the unanimous choice right now"

Todd Gurley

Todd Gurley
Just the latest flavor of the week pushed by the media, some of who would rather vote for anyone other than Brady. Truth be told, I don’t see how Brady loses it with one week to go.

Gurley has had a great season for a RB, but like many of the other examples listed several posts above, still isn’t likely to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes