PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady 2017 MVP Race Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
What years would you have given it to Brady that he didn't get it?

2016: Ryan led the league in virtually every stat from percentage, yards, Y/A, TD's, yards per game, and passer rating. While leading a top 10 all time offense in terms of production.

Ryan did not lead the league in completion percentage, yards, TDs, or yards per game. Additionally his team was 11-5. I don't believe any QB with that poor a record had ever won the MVP. Brady won the same amount of games while missing four.

The MVP voting in a lot of North American sports league is a joke let's be honest. The Manning-Brees disparity is the worse. How does Brees have zero while Manning has five? LOL

Having the best player in the league is generally pretty valuable. The only way those aren't synonymous is if you are judging by the quality of the backup. But it's completely unknowable how any team would be with a hypothetical backup.

I'm sure Bledsoe would be considered more valuable with nothing but a skinny 6th rounder behind him.

It's just an absurd way to judge MVPs, might as well argue about who can beat up batman since the question can't be answered. At least if it's best player there are metrics of what they've done in real life.

The MVP voting in a lot of North American sports league is a joke let's be honest. The Manning-Brees disparity is the worse. How does Brees have zero while Manning has five? LOL
Or Favre 3, the record at the time. The media gets hyped about guys and become convinced they will be the greatest. We saw it with Favre, they were sure he would be up there with Montana by the end of his career. But he's not on anybodies top 10 list, probably lucky to make to 20.

Manning will be the same. The guys that didn't live through the hype will look back and wonder why the 8th best QB of all time or whatever has more media voted awards than the quarterbacks ahead of him.

Brady's a system QB, lol, I'm sure he'd trade 1000 mvps for one super bowl, that's why he's the GOAT.

Brady's a system QB, lol, I'm sure he'd trade 1000 mvps for one super bowl, that's why he's the GOAT.
Interesting that the “system” hasn’t produced more victories for those who have attempted to use it in other places, right? I mean, since some mediots actually believe that nonsense, you’d think that we’d see some other coaches/players having a lot of success with it.

Interesting that the “system” hasn’t produced more victories for those who have attempted to use it in other places, right? I mean, since some mediots actually believe that nonsense, you’d think that we’d see some other coaches/players having a lot of success with it.

Thats because Brady makes Belichick, and the system makes Brady... and the system is made by Belichick.

Dont you get it ?

The system is a vast, complex network of neurons in Tom Brady’s brain.

Doesn't matter what the term means. There's a precendent of who gets it and that largely comes down to

1. Best player on the best team.
2. Player doing something historic statistically on a contender team.

Since Brady's been in the league atleast 7 of the league MVP's broke some kind of NFL record. The one's who didn't were largely on a Super Bowl contender team and leading at their position in most stats.

nfl-mvp-flowchart1.png

Interestingly enough, both Brady and Wentz are about to play three straight games on the road. Philly is at Seattle, at LA Rams and at the Giants. The Pats are at Buffalo, at Miami and at Pittsburgh. Whoever plays better in these next three games will claim the MVP.

I am hoping wentz wins it. The history of mvps hasn't been good in the playoffs.

Yes. It's a crazy stat but it has been like a curse ever since

It may be the most useless factoid in world history.

2016 - Ryan (made SB, lost to Brady)
2015 - Newton (made SB)
2014 - Rodgers (Lost in conference championship, to defending champion)
2013 - Peyton (made SB)
2012 - Peterson (RB, lost to Packers, who'd finished ahead of Vikings in the regular season)
2011 - Rodgers (Lost to Eli, just like Brady)
2010 - Brady (team choked in divisional round)
2009 - Peyton (made SB)
2008 - Peyton (Captain one-and-done strikes again)
2007 - Brady (Made SB)
2006 - Thomlinson (RB, lost to Patriots in game where he was injured)
2005 - Alexander (RB, Made SB)
2004 - Peyton (Lost to eventual champion Patriots a/k/a Brady)
2003 - Peyton/McNair (both lost to eventual champion Patriots a/k/a Brady)
2002 - Gannon (made SB)
2001 - Warner (made SB, lost to Brady)
2000 - Faulk (RB, lost to Saints, who'd finished ahead of the Rams in the regular season

So, even in the post-Warner era for MVPs, the best way to get to the SB is to have a QB who wins the MVP, to have Tom Brady, or both.

It may be the most useless factoid in world history.

2016 - Ryan (made SB, lost to Brady)
2015 - Newton (made SB)
2014 - Rodgers (Lost in conference championship, to defending champion)
2013 - Peyton (made SB)
2012 - Peterson (RB, lost to Packers, who'd finished ahead of Vikings in the regular season)
2011 - Rodgers (Lost to Eli, just like Brady)
2010 - Brady (team choked in divisional round)
2009 - Peyton (made SB)
2008 - Peyton (Captain one-and-done strikes again)
2007 - Brady (Made SB)
2006 - Thomlinson (RB, lost to Patriots in game where he was injured)
2005 - Alexander (RB, Made SB)
2004 - Peyton (Lost to eventual champion Patriots a/k/a Brady)
2003 - Peyton/McNair (both lost to eventual champion Patriots a/k/a Brady)
2002 - Gannon (made SB)
2001 - Warner (made SB, lost to Brady)
2000 - Faulk (RB, lost to Saints, who'd finished ahead of the Rams in the regular season

So, even in the post-Warner era for MVPs, the best way to get to the SB is to have a QB who wins the MVP, to have Tom Brady, or both.

Yes but where are the wins? Yes they have gotten to the Super Bowl but 0-6 in the Super Bowl. 1999 last time an mvp won the super bowl. I could care less about mvps. I am sure no one will remembered last season who won the MVP.

Yes but where are the wins? Yes they have gotten to the Super Bowl but 0-6 in the Super Bowl. 1999 last time an mvp won the super bowl.

It's a moron's stat. Look at the teams that have beaten them. Just some quick examples

Ryan (2016) lost to Brady's Patriots, as did Warner (2001), Peyton/McNair (2003) and Peyton again (2004)
Newton lost to the second best defensive team since the 2000 Ravens, and Peyton
Manning lost to the best defensive team since the 2000 Ravens
Rodgers lost to Mr. Horseshoe himself, Eli Manning (as did Brady)
etc...

The MVP winner is not cursed. It's a blessing to the team, which knows it's very likely to get to the SB. However, in the end, while teams with elite players functioning at elite levels go far, elite teams (or elite units) functioning at elite levels tend to go a bit further. This is not news.

The more interesting question, at least to me, is:

How many times has a team that didn't have a legitimate MVP candidate reach (and also how many times did it win) the SB during that same stretch?

Not sure about the regular season MVP, but he's got the SB MVP on lock.

I'm kind of surprised there has been this much interest in the annual "fashion show" that is put on by those self appointed,"all about ME", media pukes. The very idea of an MVP in the game of football runs contrary to the very nature of the game. In NO other team sport does the success of every player relies so much on his teammates. Football is the consummate team sport. So trying to pick one guy as "most valuable" is literally just a popularity contest.

Because QB touch the ball on most every play, they generate the most stats, and because of that they are the easiest to quantify. By this regard, Brady would be the MVP this year. However because its simply a popularity contest and wildly subjective, the issue is still in doubt.

But going back to my original point. WHO CARES? Why is there a 10 page thread devoted to this exercise? If Brady wins this meaningless process, my reaction will be "nice". If someone else wins, my reaction will be the same. Remember it is JUST some guys opinion. Guys who aren't any more informed as we are. So why would we care. You might as well go into any sports bar in the country on a Sunday and get 20 or 30 guys and ask them how they feel.

To make my point again, some one OTHER than Bill Bellichick is going to win the coach of the year award, (like most years), even though WE and everyone else knows he's the best most EVERY year. But its a media popularity contest and BB will NEVER win that contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST