PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady 2017 NFL MVP Race Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I'm making this in week 3 because we have the greatest quarterback of all-time having a fantastic season and he was robbed of his shot to get last year.

Passing Yards:
1,092 (1st)
TDs: 8 (1st)
INTs: 0
TD/INT Difference: +8 (1st)
QB Rating: 121.5 (2nd)

Already leading the pack

Others in the running atm would be Alex Smith (yes, at the moment), Matthew Stafford and Aaron Rodgers.

As a comparison, Brady's numbers in his last (2010) MVP season through 3 games....

2-1 / 758 Yards / 8 TDs / 2 INTs / 112 QB Rating
I thought its 9 td? 4 vs NO, 5 on sunday

"Tom Brady attempts a deep pass on 20% of his attempts, the highest rate in the NFL and has the second highest passer rating on them (145.8)."

Dink and dunk, right? :)

This is old school, Don Coryell kind of stuff the Pats are putting out there. Lots of 7-step drops and deep throws. It's great when it works, but it's also a recipe - with a mediocre offensive line right now with Solder's problems and Cannon's injury - for your QB taking a lot of hits.

I guess the question is, when a QB is winding up for a throw, and the ball is hit out of his hand before completing the motion, and a receiver down the field catches the ball, do they rule that as a fumble recovery by the receiver, or a reception in the statistic department.
He lost the ball before he even STARTED the throwing motion (i.e., arm moving forward). So, yes, if a defender hits the QB from behind and knocks the ball forward in the air before the arm ever goes forward with a football in his hand, a receiver catches it, what you have is a fumble recovery.

The Patriots scored 124 more points than GB in 2012, but Brady wasn't in the discussion while Rodgers would have won had AP not literally carried the Vikings to the playoffs.

He'll probably need to throw about 45 touchdowns to get it. I don't know if he'll do that because they actually hand off near the goal line.

If not for the suspension and Blount getting so many carries for TD's last year, he probably would have had a really strong chance last year. If not for Cam Newton he probably would have won it the year before. If not for losing the game to Green Bay in 2014 he likely would have got it then as well.

There's no way Brady will be denied if keeps playing at the pace he's playing on! However the regular season MVP award still has a curse attached to it. So I'm OK with TB12 not winning it until the curse is lifted or if he's the one to reverse it!

Great point and look how close Matt Ryan came to getting both last year. The last time Brady won it the Jets and Ryan tossed us from the Playoffs.

Yeah but he started his throwing motion so they should just rule it an interception if the ball clearly moved forward and not laterally or backwards.

it's essentially the same play as hightower's strip sack of ryan during super bowl LI. ryan started his throwing motion and the ball comes out forward. so you're saying that actually should have been ruled an incompletion and not a fumble?

I really want Brady to win the regular season MVP this year just cause i felt like he should have more than 2. Partly because Manning has 5 which is crazy IMO. He should have exactly 2. Brady IMO should have 3 but I can kind of understand him not winning it last year.

I feel like the NFL really tainted the MVP by making it the Peyton Manning award.

2 time MVPs Kurt Warner, Steve Young, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Joe Montana
3 time MVPs. Brett Favre, Jim Brown, Johnny U

I think some guys have maybe an extra MVP who shouldn't or some are missing one they should have.

To fix some obvious mistakes IMO..

Kurt Warner should have one. His 2001 MVP should have gone to Marshall Faulk
Brett Farve should have two. His 1997 MVP should have gone to Barry Sanders alone.
Tom Brady should have three. 2010 and 2007 clearly make sense but 2016 should have been a win IMO.

Peyton Manning has 5 which is crazy. I will give him 2013, 2004... 2003 was clearly McNair's year to win it alone. It is close on the surface but looking at the cast each had McNair clearly did more with less. To me that was the NFL trying to give their golden boy an MVP to build his street cred but if you want to give Manning a 3rd that be the one to.

2008 was a joke. That is Rivers or Brees. Personally I say Brees cause he had a similar enough year without LT but you can debate it. 2009 to me was Brees all the way but Favre could have made a case for his 3rd... Favre's team was so loaded though and Brees had IMO a better year.

So really Peyton should have 2.... maybe 3 if you wanna argue 2003 was a fair split. Clearly he robbed Brees of at least 1 and IMO 2 MVPs to do it.

So to sum up the list should be IMO

3 time MVPs - Tom Brady, Jim Brown, Johnny U
2 times MVPs - Joe Montana, Peyton Manning, Brett Favre, Marshall Faulk, Steve Young, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Bress (maybe)

Just looking at that list it makes a lot more sense and seems more reflective of how good they were generally.

Last edited:
I really want Brady to win the regular season MVP this year just cause i felt like he should have more than 2. Partly because Manning has 5 which is crazy IMO. He should have exactly 3 as should Brady right now.

I feel like the NFL really tainted the MVP in some way by making it the Peyton Manning award.

2 time MVPs Kurt Warner, Steve Young, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady
3 time MVPs. Brett Favre, Jim Brown, Johnny U

While I think some guys have maybe an extra MVP who shouldn't or some are missing one they should have

To fix some obvious mistakes IMO..

Kurt Warner should have one. His 2001 MVP should have gone to Marshall Faulk
Brett Farve should have two. His 1997 MVP should have gone to Barry Sanders alone.
Tom Brady should have three. 2010 and 2007 clearly make sense but 2016 should have been a win.

Peyton Manning has 5 which is crazy. I will give him 2013, 2004... 2003 was clearly McNair's year to win it alone. It is close on the surface but looking at the cast each had McNair clearly did more with less. To me that was the NFL trying to give their golden boy an MVP to build his street cred. 2008 was a joke. That is Rivers or Brees. Personally I say Brees cause he had a similar enough year without but no LT but you can debate it. 2009 to me was Brees all the way but Favre could have made a case for his 3rd... team was so loaded though and Brees had IMO a better year.

So really Peyton should have 2.... maybe 3 if you wanna argue 2003 was a fair split. Clearly he robbed Brees of at least 1 and IMO 2 MVPs to do it.

I also hate that they gave it to Manning multiple times when they shouldn’t have. With Brady the MVP voters openly admit he’s the best player in the league but every year there is some reason why some other guy should win it. They basically say he has won enough awards. With Manning, they did the exact opposite, changing the narrative every season.

Brady REALLY should have won the award last season. He was voted MVP/1st Team All-Pro by Profootball Weekly, which is voted by the coaches. He won in a landslide. Ryan was voted MVP in a very close vote by a bunch if know nothing journalists. It’s one of thr few times in the history of the award where the coaches diverged from thr AP. Brady also won the MVP from profootballfocus and was voted #1 by his peers. He went 11-1 while Ryan went 11-5. Really ridiculous. Heplayed the hear without Gronkowski while Ryan had the most stacked team in the league withoutnquestion. Brady’s season was historic. Ryan’s was not historic. Very good, yes, but 28:2 is what will be remembered.

Peyton Manning's 08 MVP was the worst MVP season of all time. To top it all off, they would lose to an 8-8 team in the first round.

hmm this makes me wonder

would be cool for brady to break the reg season MVP doesn't win the SB trend

Rodgers - He will be the chief competition this year once he gets on track but he hurt his chances with 3 early ints. I'd guess Brady doesn't throw much more than 3 all year. He has the yards though. He has thrown a ton and carried his team.

Packers scored 17 points in their 1st game. 7 being gifted by the defense(TO 6 yards from endzone)

Packers down 34-10 before 2 garbage time scored.

Not sure where you get the Rodgers has been carrying the Packers. If Brady had played like Rodgers everyone would be shouting for JG.

Packers scored 17 points in their 1st game. 7 being gifted by the defense(TO 6 yards from endzone)

Packers down 34-10 before 2 garbage time scored.

Not sure where you get the Rodgers has been carrying the Packers. If Brady had played like Rodgers everyone would be shouting for JG.

I was just saying offensively. He has been the focus of their offense. They have not been able to run much so are leaning on his arm. Also his weapons have been banged up a lot. We need to keep that in mind.

He had a tough game vs the Seahawks who are still a very good D. Lost to a superior Falcons team and beat the Bengals. It is not the greatest start but I think they could easily be 0-3 with lesser QB play right now. Has he played his best? Of course not. He has had to shoulder a lot of the team and the offense has near entirely run through him without all his top weapons most games. That is pretty good. Clearly not in the MVP convo right now but he will get in it soon. Too good not to be.

Last edited:
As a big Brady and deathly superstitious fan. I HOPE HE DOES NOT GET WIN THE MVP. I prefer that he gets the Superbowl MVP.
You stole my idea.

Tom last won MVP when our defense was complete crap, forcing Brady to throw more and he won MVP and we were 1 and done in playoffs.

Not sure Tom winning MVP is a good omen. We need our defense to improve so offense shuts down in 4th quarter coasting in easy wins rather than Tom chucking to make it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents