PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 Training Camp - Day 2 (7/27/18)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a clip of WR Paul Turner vs the Steelers last year. Apparently he was very consistent in the preseason for the Eagles last year. Almost took Huff's job also.

Transaction already.

Turner returned 3 punts as LA Tech. Had a good preseason for Philly in 2016 returning a punt for a TD. Had a 6 catch 80yd game the same year vs CIN.

I just wanna see our DL collapse the pocket when it comes to the run. I don’t expect him to be a pass rusher. Want him to be a disruptive force in the line when it comes to stopping the run.
...and consume blockers so that allows the edge rushers to beat 1:1 blocking and LBs to hit the gaps.

I'm not as high on Shelton as everyone else is. Hes a big body. Zero pass rush ability. He'll help the run D for sure. He might see some games where he'll only play a few snaps.

Abysmal run defense from the DL (both inside and outside) in 2017 had a cascade effect on all the other aspects of the defense. Shelton doesn't need to be Aaron Donald, or Vince Wilfork. He doesn't need to have pass-rush ability. He just needs to be Alan Branch from 2015 & 2016 to make a huge positive impact on overall defensive effectiveness.

If he can do that much, he'll be on the field a lot.

I'm not "high on Shelton". I simply think that he appears to be exactly the type of player and has exactly the type of skill set that the interior DL desperately needs.

Abysmal run defense from the DL (both inside and outside) in 2017 had a cascade effect on all the other aspects of the defense. Shelton doesn't need to be Aaron Donald, or Vince Wilfork. He doesn't need to have pass-rush ability. He just needs to be Alan Branch from 2015 & 2016 to make a huge positive impact on overall defensive effectiveness.

I'm not "high on Shelton". I simply think that he appears to be exactly the type of player and has exactly the type of skill set that the interior DL desperately needs.
Branch could collapse the pocket. Shelton doesnt have that skill.

Why can’t he be a wilfork type of player for us? Big Vince wasn’t exactly a pass rusher but he was disruptive and make tackles. I am curious if Shelton lost any weight in the offseason.

Turner returned 3 punts as LA Tech. Had a good preseason for Philly in 2016 returning a punt for a TD. Had a 6 catch 80yd game the same year vs CIN.

This guy was very popular with Birdy fans.

#Eagles called up WR Paul Turner to the 53-man. How much do they like him? They paid him full salary on P-squad. SD had tried to sign him.

I haven't really thought on the position, but the 3 c's would indicate that it's at least a reasonable position to take.

Contract
Cost
Competition
And a historical precedent of punters lasting a few years with NE, I suppose. Nowhere near our longevity with kickerd

#Eagles called up WR Paul Turner to the 53-man.

Apparently, that was in 2016, Turner's rookie season. From what I've read, Philly waived him in final cuts last season and he wasn't picked up by anyone until January 2018 when the Saints signed him to a reserve/futures contract. The Saints waived him in June.

Anyway ...

Turner, 5100/193 ... turned 25 in mid-May.

.. 4.55/40, 1.59/10yd .. 18 reps .. 39 vert/130 lj .. 4.31 ss/7.25 3-cone

Might be just a Camp body.

I dont care if they made the playoffs or not. You are dead wrong to say their offense is horrendous. 100% absolutely wrong. Last year, they were #1 on net passing offense and #4 overall. Stick to the facts.
Cool, dodge the question. They have trouble scoring points until the season is already over for them. That’s when they always pad their stats! Stats are deceiving. Nobody on offense should scare you besides Allen.

In a weak AFC, they can’t make the playoffs with their “talented roster”. The facts are, they aren’t very good.

Last edited:
With the Niklas swap-out for Turner, the Pats now have 9 healthy WRs and 6 TEs on the Camp roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST