PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 Training Camp - Day 2 (7/27/18)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a great offense and the best QB. That’s enough to warrant a 12-13 win season.

If our D can play just league average, we will win the super bowl
Que the stat whores to beg the differ.

This defense played well last season despite what happened in the super bowl but we know why they got shredded.
I can agree they were okay but not great despite their ppg ranking.

Their biggest weakness all year long was covering RB’s out of the backfield which finally got exposed in the Super Bowl. Hopefully that will change with Hightower and Van Noy coming back. Would also like to see some contribution from Sam and Bentley.

If they fix that, they will be fine. An improved pass rush would be nice as well.

Cool, dodge the question. They have trouble scoring points until the season is already over for them. That’s when they always pad their stats! Stats are deceiving. Nobody on offense should scare you besides Allen.

In a weak AFC, they can’t make the playoffs with their “talented roster”. The facts are, they aren’t very good.
Dodge the question? It doesnt matter if they made the playoffs or not - their offense was good. The Titans had one of the worst offenses in the league and made the playoffs (20th scoring too). I've never said that they have a talented roster now. I'm telling you that the straight fact is that they have a good offense. Even when you consider points scored, they were 13th - by no means "horrendous". And scoring points when their season was already over? The Chargers had a chance to make the playoffs in Week 17. They were 9-7. Spots 5 and 6 were also 9-7. And they didn't "pad their stats" when the season was lost. Please, please look at the actual records before making things up. The Chargers were fighting for a playoff spot over the last 6-7 weeks. They weren't out of the hunt. Over the last 3 games, their average yards per game were just 15 yards higher than the season average.

Dodge the question? It doesnt matter if they made the playoffs or not - their offense was good. The Titans had one of the worst offenses in the league and made the playoffs (20th scoring too). I've never said that they have a talented roster now. I'm telling you that the straight fact is that they have a good offense. Even when you consider points scored, they were 13th - by no means "horrendous". And scoring points when their season was already over? The Chargers had a chance to make the playoffs in Week 17. They were 9-7. Spots 5 and 6 were also 9-7. And they didn't "pad their stats" when the season was lost. Please, please look at the actual records before making things up. The Chargers were fighting for a playoff spot over the last 6-7 weeks. They weren't out of the hunt. Over the last 3 games, their average yards per game were just 15 yards higher than the season average.
Oh come on, you know the Chargers weren’t/aren’t going to make the playoffs. They do that s*** every year.

We have to agree to disagree. If my team were playing the Chargers, I would’nt be phased by their offense.

I'm sure BB would hate to blow a big contract like that. Looks like they checked out Gilmore's character before hand. He took a lot ofcriticism and just played right through it last year.

Yeah, I was really impressed by the way he rebounded from the KC game all the way to the Super Bowl.

I can agree they were okay but not great despite their ppg ranking.

Their biggest weakness all year long was covering RB’s out of the backfield which finally got exposed in the Super Bowl. Hopefully that will change with Hightower and Van Noy coming back. Would also like to see some contribution from Sam and Bentley.

If they fix that, they will be fine. An improved pass rush would be nice as well.
They were not consistent stopping RB's from rushing. That aspect of the team was exposed as well.

They were not consistent stopping RB's from rushing. That aspect of the team was exposed as well.

20th in the league in rush defense. Hopefully the additions made can help change that.

I'm not as high on Shelton as everyone else is. Hes a big body. Zero pass rush ability. He'll help the run D for sure. He might see some games where he'll only play a few snaps.
Oh he will play. The key to the nickel base are the DTs and LBs.
Branch as NT and brown at DT was a strong pair allowing us to run first down nickel as a rule.
Moving brown over the C weakened 2 spots.

Same at LB.
Nickel base with Hightower and nickel base without him, in terms of run D are the difference between stout enough to be good be the run from nickel and overmanned.

Shelton will see about 50% of the snaps IMO.

To be fair, Gilmore has always been a terrific corner. He just needed time to adjust to a new defensive philosophy.
Actually he just needed time for the defense as a whole to stop having breakdowns and everyone incorrectly blaming them all on him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean I wouldn't put it past him or any other professional athlete, but what we know about his failed test doesn't really indicate he actually "did it".
He did it. No doubt.

I wanted them to give Patterson a 2 year deal, I knew this was going to happen, I mean, it was more probable than not that this would happen. Now he will be another player who will flourish here and leave. Give the guy a 2 year 7 Million, I mean it was reasonable at the time.

I know there is the player side.

Edit -> Sorry I forgot it was a trade. I thought it was a FA signing.

Last edited:
They need to get quicker at stopping RB’s in both rushing and passing. Only you can show them how.

Last edited:
They cut Niklaus and brought in a WR...

Now it is Gronk, Allen, and Hollister. Not seeing Tye, Izzo, and Wimann making it now.

I was about to post something about this. It seems they have seen enough at this point from their top 3 TEs to be happy there. I don't know if they plan to carry all 3 into the regular season but i think that competition for the 3rd spot is already closed out. I considered Troy as the only guy who had a chance.

At WR it will be interesting to see how the Edelman suspension effects things. Personally I'm fine with it. It gives him more time to rest and it will force Brady to pass to his new WRs more.

Clearly right now it looks like the top 3 when all is said and done with be Edelman, Hogan and Matthews just as most here suspected. Right now it appears the other jobs are firmly in the hands of Dorsett and Patterson who will do some STs and focus on more niche routes which play to their strengths.

I think Mitchell will be cut soon or put on IR. Berrios won't make it if Patterson is here. Maybe PS for him. The only other guy at WR who might have a chance is Britt.

Overall though we are splitting hairs between backups who won't see the field much and I don't plan to spend that much time worrying about a potential 6th WR.

CB is were the action is there year. The only guys they will keep for sure are Gilmore and Dawson (due to his pick). Jason McCourty is 99% likely but who knows for sure. After that I feel it is pretty wide open and there are snaps there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST