PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 Training Camp Thread - Day 10 (8/7/18)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't you understand that he's the next Edelman because this board decided he was?
I think McCarron should be the next underdog that everyone roots for above Berrios. He’s got a year in the system, right? Or am I just remembering incorrectly?

If both he and Berrios are cut now that Decker is here, they could have an eye on McCarron returning to the PS over Berrios.

--- McCarron and rookie Braxton Berrios took turns fielding the kickoffs on the scout return team, and continued in that capacity when the kickoff return team became the focus of the next special teams period. From a coverage perspective, the new kickoff rules dictate that at least eight players on the receiving team must be within a 15-yard “setup zone” near and around midfield. That leaves just three other players to line up deep to receive the kickoff. Rex Burkhead, Jordan Richards, Jeremy Hill, and Dwayne Allen rotated as the up men for McCarron and Berrios in this particular period.
Belichick alluded to a possible change in using more RBs/TEs over some traditional, slower and bigger guys, in order to try and take advantage of the gaps in those spaces. That will be something to keep an eye on in terms of roster projections and value on STs.

If true, Bolden almost becomes a lock. I don’t think we could afford to expose him to waivers this year, anyway. He’s too recognizable a name for his STs ability. That grows with each passing season.

Belichick alluded to a possible change in using more RBs/TEs over some traditional, slower and bigger guys, in order to try and take advantage of the gaps in those spaces. That will be something to keep an eye on in terms of roster projections and value on STs.

If true, Bolden almost becomes a lock. I don’t think we could afford to expose him to waivers this year, anyway. He’s too recognizable a name for his STs ability. That grows with each passing season.
Especially with so many former Pats as HC's...

I think McCarron should be the next underdog that everyone roots for above Berrios. He’s got a year in the system, right? Or am I just remembering incorrectly?

If both he and Berrios are cut now that Decker is here, they could have an eye on McCarron returning to the PS over Berrios.

It took me a while to even warm up to McCarron (because he was getting hyped up before we even heard positive practice reports on him) but I think he has potential. Berrios...I dunno. But I once felt that way about McCarron, so.

Plus, Bolden move the blocking sled like a Boss!

;)

It took me a while to even warm up to McCarron (because he was getting hyped up before we even heard positive practice reports on him) but I think he has potential. Berrios...I dunno. But I once felt that way about McCarron, so.

Berrios has way more college experience as a receiver and as a punt returner than McCarron. IIRC, Berrios also played some on ST in a non-returner role.

McCarron has more experience in the Pats' system. He became a permanent fixture on the 2017 Psquad/scout team as of last September 22nd and won multiple Practice Player of the Week awards. He's now also had the full course of OTAs, plus 10 days of Camp. Based on college highlight reels, McCarron also seemed more agile and explosive than Berrios.

I'm guessing that both will see significant snaps tomorrow night which, hopefully, reveals something about both.

Speaking of tomorrow night ...

Since the booth guys ordinarily do an extraordinarily crappy job of correctly identifying the player on the field during pre-season games (when they even bother to), I have to wonder if the current rookie "numbering system" will still be in place to screw things up even further, or if the team will assign "real" numbers sometime today.

Berrios has way more college experience as a receiver and as a punt returner than McCarron. IIRC, Berrios also played some on ST in a non-returner role.

McCarron has more experience in the Pats' system. He became a permanent fixture on the 2017 Psquad/scout team as of last September 22nd and won multiple Practice Player of the Week awards. He's now also had the full course of OTAs, plus 10 days of Camp. Based on college highlight reels, McCarron also seemed more agile and explosive than Berrios.

I'm guessing that both will see significant snaps tomorrow night which, hopefully, reveals something about both.

Speaking of tomorrow night ...

Since the booth guys ordinarily do an extraordinarily crappy job of correctly identifying the player on the field during pre-season games (when they even bother to), I have to wonder if the current rookie "numbering system" will still be in place to screw things up even further, or if the team will assign "real" numbers sometime today.

If BB can get away with it, I think we're gonna see the same ridiculous numbers. I could envision him being forced to change, considering it's somewhat likely Elandon Roberts and Duke Dawson get on the field at the same time. 2 players on the roster with the same number is normal in the preseason...2 on the same side of the ball playing with the same depth chart level is a little different.

Also, expect "#55 is eligible" every single down in the second half...

If BB can get away with it, I think we're gonna see the same ridiculous numbers. I could envision him being forced to change, considering it's somewhat likely Elandon Roberts and Duke Dawson get on the field at the same time. 2 players on the roster with the same number is normal in the preseason...2 on the same side of the ball playing with the same depth chart level is a little different.

Also, expect "#55 is eligible" every single down in the second half...

I agree that BB will play these guys with their current numbers if he can. However, the duplicate numbers in past pre-seasons have usually still been positionally correct according to NFL numbering rules. This year, BB is coloring waaay outside those lines. I'm not sure that will fly for pre-season games.

This would mean something I suppose if it was leading up to Preseason Game #3.

Let's say he shows something or lights it up. Would you risk playing him alot in the meaningless other two?? Our WR position is not going to be able to sustain alot of injuries atleast not early on.

Britt has some issues the that might keep him off the official roster.

Let's say he shows something or lights it up. Would you risk playing him alot in the meaningless other two?? Our WR position is not going to be able to sustain alot of injuries atleast not early on.
If you think he has a chance to make the team you have to play him and figure out what you have. I would think he needs every rep he can get to prove he should make the 53.
Hiding a guy to sneak to the practice squad is fake news.

Britt has some issues the that might keep him off the official roster.
I’d say he has about a week before the injuries start to affect his chance to make the team.

Geesh! the always getting Hurtmeister.:p
......Please refrain from disrespecting Da Burkmeister on this forum (while in NE)...he is exempt from all forms of impudence. However, All other players/coaches/staff/owners/water boys/ErnieAdams & even that weird guy that was standing in the tunnel before the HOU Divisional game in 2016 are subject to criticism.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey