PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Best All-Time Patriots Players by Jersey Numbers

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
@Pape great list.

Some more may come from but have you considered my man Clayton Weishuhn (#53)?

I can't comment on Tommy Addison as he was before my time but Clayton might be in the ballpark with Slade and was def a better player than Izzo (who was also solid)
I would have loved to put Weishuhn on the list... The injuries though just derailed him... Great recognition on your part in bringing him up *tips my cap... 53 just had some really strong players...

as for Tommy Addison, I've been watching a ton of old pats vids, posting some in the links section... Incredible player... same with Jim Colclough... like all-pro level play

Last edited:
I can't really argue the point except to say I love them both... I would classify them a 1A & 1B in no particular order except alphabetical... I should remove Eason from the third spot
I would keep Eason at 3rd at nr 11

good question... For one very simple reason... While I think he wasn't good (I think his arm/shoulder never healed properly) I liked him, and felt he did everything he could, left it all on the field... I respect him for that, thats why...
So our best player list should be made up of good guys (at least from our distant view) who try hard?
He sucked. Why make excuses and disrespect players who played better?

@Pape great list.

Some more may come from but have you considered my man Clayton Weishuhn (#53)?

I can't comment on Tommy Addison as he was before my time but Clayton might be in the ballpark with Slade and was def a better player than Izzo (who was also solid)
We must like and respect Izzo because he tried hard.

Great list and topic

Could add revis to 24

Sam gash to 33

Some close ones - big play clay over antowain smith at 32. Shawn jefferson at 84, tho admittedly im not too familiar with the last 2 on 84 other than stingley’s injury

Why would cam Newton be on the list? He is one of the worst players in the history of the team.

Probably one of the worst in team history, but I appreciated his contributions during a difficult 2020 season.

If he scored in Seattle and didn't fumble in Buffalo...we would have made the post-season that year....

Great list and topic

Could add revis to 24

Sam gash to 33

Some close ones - big play clay over antowain smith at 32. Shawn jefferson at 84, tho admittedly im not too familiar with the last 2 on 84 other than stingley’s injury
yes revis is great and probably should be there...

Antowain Smith is pure personal bias...

Gash is a good one at 33... an omission on my part, along with Tony Collins... who should be there

Art Graham was a SE/WR in the 60's... made some great plays during tht period... maybe recency bias on my part - as in i was recently watching boston patriots highlights from the 1960's?

Make your own list ****head.
This is my list of our best players. I didn't see you or anyone else there helping me put it together. While i gladly accept criticism over my selections, don't come off like an asshat in dong so...

I think the effort, and yes leadership, by Cam Newton meant a lot to this team in a very trying time... and that alone makes him worthy of inclusion.
I assumed when you posted “your list” on a message board you did so for feedback. But apparently that doesn’t include disagreeing.
Exactly how did he provide “leadership” and how would you know if his brand of it was positive or negative. Seems a weird way to make an excuse for putting a crappy player on the best player list.

Probably one of the worst in team history, but I appreciated his contributions during a difficult 2020 season.

If he scored in Seattle and didn't fumble in Buffalo...we would have made the post-season that year....
His contributions were to make us a poor offense and team.

yes revis is great and probably should be there...

Antowain Smith is pure personal bias...

Gash is a good one at 33... an omission on my part, along with Tony Collins... who should be there

Art Graham was a SE/WR in the 60's... made some great plays during tht period... maybe recency bias on my part - as in i was recently watching boston patriots highlights from the 1960's?
For #33 I still have Faulk at #1. I can't even imagine how many passes Collins would catch in today's offenses.

A Smith vs Slammin Sam....tough one.

#74 is lacking behind shelby jordan...
i suppose chris sullivan with his 3 sacks could fill the number 2 slot,

or maybe billy yates ... or not...

otherwise its just tons of one year guys

Last edited:
Pretty cool list. 17 really should be left blank lol. Brown wasn't here long. Dobson is a consideration but he didn't do much.

Marshal Newhouse should NEVER be on a "best" list....ever...no matter what....
hehehe i put him there to see if people were paying attention lol... but the 3 spot is basically a toss up between Mel Lunsford and Tim Goad, with Lunsford getting a slight edge...

Tony Franklin was a very good Patriots kicker for some pretty good Patriots teams. How is he below Cam?

Its all small degrees of separation ... as i tried to explain to the now muted Ring6, I like Cam Newton... so chalk it up to personal bias if you'd like... but i'd also say I have been thinking about it, especially Smith vs Franklin... my basic line of thought was Smith first overall, based on length of service, points scored & the coolness factor of being "The Guy" in the snowplow game... Franklin was a better percentage kicker than Smith ever was...

when looking at Cam, what i had almost forgotten was that he was responsible for 21 tds that year... 8 passing, 12 rushing, and 1 receiving... all things considered in regards to the cluster hump 2020 was, i felt it was rather remarkable... if you think Cam and Franklin should be swapped, i'd have no real issue with that assessment... If Parker has a good year this coming season, i could even see an argument for removing one or the other in favor of DeVante...

the list is hardly definitive... im sure i missed on a few... its not exactly an easy undertaking...

Last edited:
Overall - a good mix of past and present, and really a decent list. Especially when you consider the limiting factor of the jersey number. You have to select folks that otherwise wouldn't make a greatest list.

Just reading some of the names brought back some good memories - and a few double-takes.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back