PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wk16 practice/roster news: KVN moving better; Branch to miss few weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excuse me, KVN, the second coming of LT, is almost back. Smooth sailing from here :)
Seriously, KVN actually played well. No he isn't the second coming of LT but he showed enough to suggest he is certainly at minimum adequate. And when Roberts and others don't have to be KVN I think the group as a (w)hole play notably better.
Yes my comment was in case KVN is not ready. If you had told me in Sept that I would view KVN as a crucial cog to playoff success... But here we are. A positional group of cast-offs. Roberts, M. Flowers, Harris, Reilly and Grigsby. Wow.

Last edited:
Did you see Richie Incognito's comments? I dunno....I mean you can beat Buffalo without Gronk. If his season is over by Sunday, fans here will be singing a different tune about whether he should've started.

No offense intended, but I'm curious about your avatar.
He looks like you post. So it's really you,isn't it?

Did you see Richie Incognito's comments? I dunno....I mean you can beat Buffalo without Gronk. If his season is over by Sunday, fans here will be singing a different tune about whether he should've started.
Who cares what he says?

Mind games my boy....mind games.

If a Bills player is looking to take Gronk out I doubt they’ll be making any comments about it. Keep it out of the media and public and let your actions do the talking. If you say something and go through it you should be nailed hard by the league.

Fully agree. I just hope Hogan, Van Noy and Branch are effective for the playoffs. In the meantime, RJF has been a surprise, Britt will get some opportunities, and....I got nothin for LB. Really thin there. But hopefully they pull out a couple of wins to secure #1 seed and home field. This is certainly not guaranteed.

This is a big game for NE as well. Its as close as it gets to playoff game: w16, divisional, both teams w big playoff stakes. Everyone who can should chip in. Let's worry about playoffs later..

This is a big game for NE as well. Its as close as it gets to playoff game: w16, divisional, both teams w big playoff stakes. Everyone who can should chip in. Let's worry about playoffs later..

This.
The Patriots were a silly, thoughtless lunge at the goal line from being losers of 2 in a row, on the outside looking in at a bye, and heading into a game against a team who hasn't been in the playoffs since pagers were all the rage, who have a winning record, and who is desperate! to win this game (they lose this game and their playoff dream goes out on a shaky limb).
I expect the Patriots to win as I expected them to win against Pitt and against Miami. But the Patriots are facing a team that at minimum can play decent D and who knows how to manage the offense in order to keep it close enough to win (though they lost their way for 3 or 4 weeks).
This isn't automatic by any stretch. Again I expect the Patriots to win but near playoff intensity with all hands on deck is needed IMHO.

This.
The Patriots were a silly, thoughtless lunge at the goal line from being losers of 2 in a row, on the outside looking in at a bye, and heading into a game against a team who hasn't been in the playoffs since pagers were all the rage, who have a winning record, and who is desperate! to win this game (they lose this game and their playoff dream goes out on a shaky limb).
I expect the Patriots to win as I expected them to win against Pitt and against Miami. But the Patriots are facing a team that at minimum can play decent D and who knows how to manage the offense in order to keep it close enough to win (though they lost their way for 3 or 4 weeks).
This isn't automatic by any stretch. Again I expect the Patriots to win but near playoff intensity with all hands on deck is needed IMHO.
Pittsburgh was big too and Hogan and Van Noy just we're not healthy. Both are among the questionable. Pats have shown that they will trot out the injured before they are ready, so we will see. My guess is that KVN plays and Hogan waits. It has nothing to do with the game and everything to do with health. We don't know when we'll see Burkhead and Branch, but I doubt they will be healthy when they do play. We are trying to take it home while taking on water. Buckle up and keep bailing.

Last edited:
Pittsburgh was big too and Hogan and Van Noy just we're not healthy. Both are among the questionable. Pats have shown that they will trot out the injured before they are ready, so we will see. My guess is that KVN plays and Hogan waits. It has nothing to do with the game and everything to do with health. We don't know when we'll see Burkhead and Branch, but I doubt they will be healthy when they do play. We are trying to take it home while taking on water. Buckle up and keep bailing.

MH, definitely not suggesting anyone play that isn't close enough to ready. But this game is too important to be cavalier about fear of cheap shots or 'we will beat 'em, let's give X an extra week rest'. IF KVN is well enough to play effectively and his injury isn't a tweener that still has too high a risk for setback, if Hogan's shoulder is mended sufficiently that it won't be a repeat of in against Miami out against Pitt, the Patriots need them. Even if it is limited snaps at strategic times, this could be the difference in the game. Again this game is just too important. Hopefully things are clicking and these guys can be put on ice well before 60 mins is up (if rest is even needed for them).

While every game at this time of year is tough and intra division can be frustratingly close melees, this game is the upward climb to the summit while the Jets are the downward climb back to base. The Jets provide a better opp for 'this injury really really could use a week off if possible' type consideration.

The other kicker is this is at home. That bizarre and probably extra tough road trip schedule is over. These guys are going right from their own rehab facility to the field. Another + for playing. Be interesting to see if the Patriots from top to bottom look more crisp after getting an actual full week home.

MH, definitely not suggesting anyone play that isn't close enough to ready. But this game is too important to be cavalier about fear of cheap shots or 'we will beat 'em, let's give X an extra week rest'. IF KVN is well enough to play effectively and his injury isn't a tweener that still has too high a risk for setback, if Hogan's shoulder is mended sufficiently that it won't be a repeat of in against Miami out against Pitt, the Patriots need them. Even if it is limited snaps at strategic times, this could be the difference in the game. Again this game is just too important. Hopefully things are clicking and these guys can be put on ice well before 60 mins is up (if rest is even needed for them).

While every game at this time of year is tough and intra division can be frustratingly close melees, this game is the upward climb to the summit while the Jets are the downward climb back to base. The Jets provide a better opp for 'this injury really really could use a week off if possible' type consideration.

The other kicker is this is at home. That bizarre and probably extra tough road trip schedule is over. These guys are going right from their own rehab facility to the field. Another + for playing. Be interesting to see if the Patriots from top to bottom look more crisp after getting an actual full week home.
Who's calling for "extra rest?" Calls to rest Gronk are nonsense. But 7 players will be inactive, and Branch and Burkhead are already out. Most of the remaining 5 will come from the injury list. Some pretty good players are simply not going to play. You tell me:

OUT
DL Alan Branch - Knee (DNP)
RB Rex Burkhead - Knee (DNP)

QUESTIONABLE
RB Brandon Bolden - Groin (LP)
WR Chris Hogan - Shoulder (LP)
DB Brandon King - Hamstring (LP)
DL Eric Lee - Ankle (LP)
WR Matthew Slater - Hamstring (LP)
LB Kyle Van Noy - Calf (LP)
OT LaAdrian Waddle - Ankle (LP)
RB James White - Ankle (LP)

Incognito is an offenses version of Suh. Of course, he thinks that way.
I don't like what he said yesterday but I thought he got a bad rap for that bullying BS. I wonder if the NEP considered him after MIA cut him?

Pats have shown that they will trot out the injured before they are ready, so we will see.

In at least three instances this season, the Pats played an injured guy who they apparently thought was ready, but it didn't go well.

Rowe (groin, injured in wk-2)
... DNP/out wk-3 ... LP/active wk-4 ... DNP/out wks 5-12

KVN (calf, injured in wk-12)
... LP/active wk-13 ... DNP/out wks 14 & 15

Hogan (shoulder, injured in wk-8)
... DNP/out wks 9-13 ... LP/active wk-14 ... LP/out wk-15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back