PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week 2 Snap Counts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly, isn't Branch still hurt?

IDK. Branch played 62% of the defensive snaps against KC, plus 29% of the ST snaps, more or less his averages for 2016. But he didn't look so hot. So, maybe just not 100% yet?

Not sure what the point of Harris is, he's obviously done.

So why did he make the team?

It's Week 2 of the season and he's learning a new system.

Methinks you're making a premature statement there.

Adam Butler 45 snaps and Alan Branch 6 snaps......... WOW! I know Branch had a horrible game against KC but this is unexpected. Seems Branch is done.

Is this a running joke now on this forum? "Week 2, I'm jumping to conclusions - so and so is DONE!"

OK, so far we have Branch and Harris. Last week it was Brady and Gronkowski.

Hawt takez, baby!!!!

2) Branch is old and started Camp on PUP. If they didn't really need him for this game, why put him out there?

He needs to start to recover by having some reps. perhaps it is viewed that we need him as a backup in case of injury.

Last edited:
IDK. Branch played 62% of the defensive snaps against KC, plus 29% of the ST snaps, more or less his averages for 2016. But he didn't look so hot. So, maybe just not 100% yet?
I think it was game plan. We used a smaller quicker DL from nickel this week vs a bigger DL from dime last week. We seemed to be more concerned with the pass than the run particularly when we got ahead and they didn't run.

I think it was game plan. We used a smaller quicker DL from nickel this week vs a bigger DL from dime last week. We seemed to be more concerned with the pass than the run particularly when we got ahead and they didn't run.

This makes a lot of sense. If the Saints were to have a chance in this game, it is if Brees gets rolling. He's perhaps the most dangerous gunslinger of this generation of QB's, particularly with a hot hand and some momentum. So you play a scheme that is designed to keep that from happening, which means playing the guys that fit that scheme best.

Some pretty hot takes on Branch, Harris or any player for that matter after two specific games..

1. Doesn't seem BB/MP care about depth charts etc. They seem to care about players condition, dependability, matchups, game flow..
  2. It's a short season yet a marathon of attrition, conditioning, managing of roster..
  3. Branch and A.Butler are very different DLs w different skill sets, usage etc. It was Guy taking the Branch role most of the time which was normal - he had a strong preseason at the position w Branch entering late and played on second units (alongside VV) in practices including DET “dress rehearsal“ game. Guy-Brown were 1st interior DL unit (vs run) all TC. So its normal they start the season. It was premature to put Branch there and it showed vs KC. I guess it is quite likely he'll find his way back in DL rotation esp. against strong run first teams and hopefully be a rock there again when games will matter most.
  4. Game situation made it more of a passing game for NO which would probably be one of the reasons for unusually high snap count of A. Butler (besides his good form and versatility - DE vs run DT vs pass)..

Let's add some more stats to this thread . from Kyed

PASS COVERAGE
Stephon Gilmore: 3-4, 82 yards
Patrick Chung: 6-13, 80 yards, TD, PBU
Jonathan Jones: 2-4, 42 yards, two PBUs
Malcolm Butler: 4-8, 40 yards, TD, PBU
Eric Rowe: 3-4, 37 yards
Kyle Van Noy: 4-5, 33 yards
Elandon Roberts: 2-2, 13 yards
Jordan Richards: 1-1, 9 yards
Devin McCourty: 0-2

JJ stepping up on D was one of the most positive things on the night . strangely went pretty much unnoticed. Can be huge with all the injuries and certainly immediate relieve if Rowe misses some time. Glad the early positives from TC showed. Definitely a progress . hopefully accompanied w consistency..
___

PASS RUSH
Deatrich Wise: sack, four QB hits, hurry
Trey Flowers: QB hit, three hurries
Cassius Marsh: QB hit, two hurries
Lawrence Guy: drawn hold, hurry
Adam Butler: hurry

Nice to see pass rush slowly emerging and from all positions..
___

PASS PROTECTION
Nate Solder: sack, two QB hits, three hurries
Joe Thuney: four hurries
Marcus Cannon: QB hit, two hurries
Shaq Mason: QB hit, two hurries
David Andrews: QB hit

LT position remains a problem w Solder still catching up and no backup in condition to step up at the moment..

The Patriots should use the Full House Backfield with the combo of White - Lewis or Burkhead - Gillislee. James White is such a superior pass catcher and a improved runner I would like to see more of him. Dwayne Allen does nothing Cannon Flemming cannot do and he's no threat Offensively absolutely clueless. The next time Brady even thinks about passing to him I guarantee something negative is going to happen. I would take Matt Lengal over Allen right now he's stealing $$$$.:rolleyes:

Via Jeff Howe:

Coverage, pressure and blocking stats through Week 2

DKBC5sUXoAE0RVi.jpg

He needs to start to recover by having some reps. perhaps it is viewed that we need him as a backup ion case of injury.

The fact is that Branch will turn 34 after week-16 this season.

I don't know what the health issue was that put him on PUP, so I couldn't even begin to say what he needs to speed his recovery. That is IF, indeed, consideration for his age/health, combined with a desire to conserve him for later use and the possibility that he simply wasn't critical to this week's game plan, are what limited his snaps this week.

I just think it's a bit premature, however, to be so certain that he's "in the dog house", or that he's "done", or that he's been relegated to backup duty. There are other possible explanations for his low snap count in this ONE game.

Jeff Howe's stats, PFF grades and my admittedly amateur eyes are all seeing the same thing: Shaq Mason has been playing at an elite level this year.

The fact is that Branch will turn 34 after week-16 this season.

I don't know what the health issue was that put him on PUP, so I couldn't even begin to say what he needs to speed his recovery. That is IF, indeed, consideration for his age/health, combined with a desire to conserve him for later use and the possibility that he simply wasn't critical to this week's game plan, are what limited his snaps this week.

I just think it's a bit premature, however, to be so certain that he's "in the dog house", or that he's "done", or that he's been relegated to backup duty. There are other possible explanations for his low snap count in this ONE game.

Age is a fact (like w Brady etc) but not necessarily a factor. Contract is another fact (2y/8.5M, 3M gtd, 3.7M cap hit) and it also speaks how Pats see Branch's age. This contract says they see at least one more productive year from him.

They could be proven wrong of course but not in week 2. It is true that quite often players w fresh contracts are not as hungry. Higher age and lower motivation are not the best combination. But so far the only thing I can read from the situation is that Branch is not 100% (yet) and some others are..

Jeff Howe's stats, PFF grades and my admittedly amateur eyes are all seeing the same thing: Shaq Mason has been playing at an elite level this year.
Towards the end of last year he was playing at an All-Pro level.

I expect him to be a Pro Bowler this year.

Does someone have the number of special teams reps of each player?

Here are the Week 2 Special Teams Snap Counts, excluding the K, P and LS.
I was incorrect in guessing that King and Bolden would be at the top, with Slater and Ebner out.

23 --- 77% --- Jordan Richards (SS)
22 --- 73% --- Cassius Marsh (DE)
20 --- 67% --- Marquis Flowers (LB)
18 --- 60% --- Jonathan Jones (CB)
17 --- 57% --- Brandon Bolden (RB)
16 --- 53% --- Brandon King (FS)
15 --- 50% --- Lawrence Guy (DE)
15 --- 50% --- Johnson Bademosi (CB)
13 --- 43% --- Alan Branch (DE)
12 --- 40% --- Harvey Langi (LB)
11 --- 37% --- Kyle Van Noy (LB)
11 --- 37% --- Patrick Chung (SS)
9 ---- 30% --- Devin McCourty (FS)
7 ---- 23% --- Marcus Cannon (T)
7 ---- 23% --- Nate Solder (T)
7 ---- 23% --- Cameron Fleming (T)
7 ---- 23% --- Shaq Mason (G)
7 ---- 23% --- Joe Thuney (G)
7 ---- 23% --- Ted Karras (G)
7 ---- 23% --- James Develin (FB)
6 ---- 20% --- Malcom Brown (DT)
6 ---- 20% --- Stephon Gilmore (CB)
6 ---- 20% --- Elandon Roberts (LB)
5 ---- 17% --- Dwayne Allen (TE)
5 ---- 17% --- Eric Rowe (CB)
4 ---- 13% --- Jacob Hollister (TE)
4 ---- 13% --- Dion Lewis (RB)
3 ---- 10% --- Rex Burkhead (RB)
3 ---- 10% --- Deatrich Wise (DE)
1 ----- 3% --- Brandin Cooks (WR)
1 ----- 3% --- Duron Harmon (S)
1 ----- 3% --- Chris Hogan (WR)
1 ----- 3% --- James White (RB)
0 ---- 0% --- David Andrews (C)
0 ---- 0% --- Tom Brady (QB)
0 ---- 0% --- Adam Butler (DL)
0 ---- 0% --- Malcolm Butler (CB)
0 ---- 0% --- Phillip Dorsett (WR)
0 ---- 0% --- Trey Flowers (DE)
0 ---- 0% --- Mike Gillislee (RB)
0 ---- 0% --- Rob Gronkowski (TE)
0 ---- 0% --- David Harris (LB)

So, Richards is a STer who can play a bit of defense.

Here are the Week 2 Special Teams Snap Counts, excluding the K, P and LS.
I was incorrect in guessing that King and Bolden would be at the top, with Slater and Ebner out.

23 --- 77% --- Jordan Richards (SS)
22 --- 73% --- Cassius Marsh (DE)
20 --- 67% --- Marquis Flowers (LB)
18 --- 60% --- Jonathan Jones (CB)
17 --- 57% --- Brandon Bolden (RB)
16 --- 53% --- Brandon King (FS)
15 --- 50% --- Lawrence Guy (DE)
15 --- 50% --- Johnson Bademosi (CB)
13 --- 43% --- Alan Branch (DE)
12 --- 40% --- Harvey Langi (LB)
11 --- 37% --- Kyle Van Noy (LB)
11 --- 37% --- Patrick Chung (SS)
9 ---- 30% --- Devin McCourty (FS)
7 ---- 23% --- Marcus Cannon (T)
7 ---- 23% --- Nate Solder (T)
7 ---- 23% --- Cameron Fleming (T)
7 ---- 23% --- Shaq Mason (G)
7 ---- 23% --- Joe Thuney (G)
7 ---- 23% --- Ted Karras (G)
7 ---- 23% --- James Develin (FB)
6 ---- 20% --- Malcom Brown (DT)
6 ---- 20% --- Stephon Gilmore (CB)
6 ---- 20% --- Elandon Roberts (LB)
5 ---- 17% --- Dwayne Allen (TE)
5 ---- 17% --- Eric Rowe (CB)
4 ---- 13% --- Jacob Hollister (TE)
4 ---- 13% --- Dion Lewis (RB)
3 ---- 10% --- Rex Burkhead (RB)
3 ---- 10% --- Deatrich Wise (DE)
1 ----- 3% --- Brandin Cooks (WR)
1 ----- 3% --- Duron Harmon (S)
1 ----- 3% --- Chris Hogan (WR)
1 ----- 3% --- James White (RB)
0 ---- 0% --- David Andrews (C)
0 ---- 0% --- Tom Brady (QB)
0 ---- 0% --- Adam Butler (DL)
0 ---- 0% --- Malcolm Butler (CB)
0 ---- 0% --- Phillip Dorsett (WR)
0 ---- 0% --- Trey Flowers (DE)
0 ---- 0% --- Mike Gillislee (RB)
0 ---- 0% --- Rob Gronkowski (TE)
0 ---- 0% --- David Harris (LB)

So, Richards is a STer who can play a bit of defense.
Week one he had the most ST snaps as well, and 74 overall (41 on defense, 33 on special teams).

Week two Richards was on the field for 39 plays (16 D, 23 ST).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes