Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

patsinthesnow

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Seemingly every year this team has players that come out of nowhere. These players can be rookies, NFL JAGs & even Pats on their last chance.

• Trey Flowers goes from 4th pass rusher in the rotation to 1st over the course of the season. His breakout culminates with 2.5 sacks in the Superbowl.
  • Marcus Cannon goes from turnstile to All-Pro RT. Definitely one of the most pleasant surprises of the BB Era.
  • Eric Rowe goes from Eagles castoff in a trade to battling Julio Jones in the SB. Potential breakout this year.

• Butler goes from what we hope is a solid nickel CB to a probowl CB1. Logan Ryan goes from the roster bubble to CB2 over the course of the season.
  • David Andrews starts his rookie year as a UDFA.
  • Pats sign some JAG named Dion Lewis. Oops NFL.

• Pats sign their former castoff Patrick Chung 1 year 740k contract.
  • Pats sign Alan Branch in the middle of October. Three years later & he's given us 70-80% Wilfork level of play.
  • UDFA Malcolm Butler is inserted into SB49 as the nickel CB in the 4th quarter.
2013: Edelman goes from roster bubble to maybe the most iconic Pats WR in team history
2012: BB saves Talib's career. He goes from getting torched in Tampa to an elite man CB here & arguably the best CB in the NFL in Denver.

There's probably others in there.

Potential 2017 Breakout Players:

CB Eric Rowe
CB Cyrus Jones (sounds hilarious right now but so did plenty previously)
OLB Kyle Van Noy
ILB Elandon Roberts
DE Deatrich Wise
DE/DT Lawrence Guy
DE/DT Adam Butler

RB Rex Burkhead
RB Mike Gillislee
WR Chris Hogan
LG Joe Thuney
WR Malcolm Mitchell

Last edited:
We now have 2 Butlers and 2 Flowers on the squad :)

Aside from the more obvious guys I would say Rowe. A full offseason with the team and a strong preseason. I think his size will give Bill some more matchup options with Butler and Gilmore out there.

Malcolm Mitchell is going to get even better. I think his floor is going to be a solid #2 WR. I'm hoping he'll be the Anquan Boldin to Cooks' Fitzgerald.

Then Edelman comes back next year.

I cast 2 votes. One for Guy (defense) and one for Gillislee (offense).

With the DE situation i predict Guy to have a huge role on this team. Wise will help somewhat but he is still probably a year away from bigger impact.

Guy will rarely be off the field I think and will be a staple both in the 3-3 and 4-2. He is one of the guys that allows that flexibility to do both and will see a ton of snaps.

Though his plays won't often show up on the stat sheet as much he will be able to clog lanes and stop the run while also getting after the QB a bit. I think he has a chance to play the most snaps of anyone on the DL not named Flowers.

On offense Gillislee is going to be a big big part of it. Burkhead is the backup for White who also will take over Edelman's role a bit (not entirely... that will be done by a lot of people). White will keep his role but be played more but they will need someone to run a lot and that is Gillislee.

I think he has a huge year. 250 runs 1200 yards 15 TDs. The Pats I think want to try to turn into more of a running team to protect Brady and live off play action more without Edelman now.

Okay, I'll play.

James White - as a rusher: 75-80 carries for 350-375 yards and 4 rushing TDs.

Going with Butler as the out-of-nowhere guy who makes important non-ST contribution as a rook.

With a healthy Gronk and the addition of Cooks, Hogan (who already has Brady's eye and trust) can be utilized to isolate mismatches and will have some more monster games.

I agree with Guy on defense

Mike Gillislee is our first true homerun threat in years.

I think Chris Hogan has another gear he hasn't shown us yet. Last year he was still getting comfortable and there was the suspension. I think with Brady to throw to him all year for the first time Hogan does what he does best which is get open, and defends his job as the main deep threat.

Cooks should be used a bit here and there and everywhere due to his high intelligence and quickness and to take advantage of mismatches. He will eat a lot of the targets that might have gone to Edelman. Hogan is a bit less versatile so they'll keep him doing what he was doing and he'll reward them by doing it well.

With health, Gillisslee. I think if he remains healthy, he'll rush for over 1,000 yards. In the NFL altogether, I would go with Dalvin Cook and Kareem Hunt.

Not sure how you would measure it but I'm looking for Thuney to make a big jump this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes