PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SB 51 Observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
White played that much because Atlanta's D was conceding the pass-catching back.
Prevent defenses...aka Bend 'n Break........completely ignore the pass catching RB who is allowed to release from the back field uncovered. Teams that offer up the cushion are essentially playing a game of "beat the clock." How many times have we seen JAG/newbie QBs amass giant 2nd half stats vs a NE prevent defense.
In Atlanta's case, their 2nd half defensive strategy was not integrated with their offensive play calling. Taking as much time off the clock was the right call given the lopsided score....but Shanahan blinked....and their head coach failed miserably to properly execute the strategy. On the other side of the field, BB exhibited incredible patience and steel balls.

Looking forward to 2017....IF NE's weapons can stay healthy, Josh will be able to create huge mismatches given the talent he can maneuver on any given play. I honestly believe Brady might have his greatest season ever. Unlike Moss who's game was very predictable, I expect Cook to be deployed all over the field creating mismatches for himself or his fellow pass catchers. I can't wait

The comeback was actually ridiculously slow and lots of things went wrong. The 3rd quarter was almost over by the time they score the first touchdown, then miss the PAT. That made the 4th quarter a net LOSS for the Patriots - in effect, no actual comeback was apparent yet.

Then they settle for a field goal.

The game never stopped being excruciating until they had the TD-2PT-TD-2PT blitz at the very end of the 4th.

Agreed. The pace picked up significantly after the HT strip sack. Only two third downs the rest of the way for NE. Not a whole lot of second downs, either, as the Pats had most of their biggest gainers on first down on the last three drives of the game.

Regards,
Chris

On the swing pass to the right to White in OT that brought the Pats down to the 15, the Pats got away with what I think would have been a very big penalty.

I thought that there might be a chop block there too, but I wonder if the fact that the 2 Patriots engaged the Falcon defender nearly simultaneously nullifies the chop block rule? I believe the chop block rule states that a chop block is when an offensive player makes cut block (a block at the thigh level or lower) on a defensive player while the defender is "already engaged" by another offensive player.

Since the Falcon was not engaged with another offensive player when he was cut, did that make it legal?

I thought that there might be a chop block there too, but I wonder if the fact that the 2 Patriots engaged the Falcon defender nearly simultaneously nullifies the chop block rule? I believe the chop block rule states that a chop block is when an offensive player makes cut block (a block at the thigh level or lower) on a defensive player while the defender is "already engaged" by another offensive player.

Since the Falcon was not engaged with another offensive player when he was cut, did that make it legal?

I guess that depends on the definition of 'engaged'. The first player (a TE maybe) wasn't in contact with the Falcon when the pulling lineman took him out, but it was close.

Just some more observations from me...

Perfect 3 and out to start the half. Great job D!

On the Pats onside kick.
Falcons had two guys at their 40, two at the 20, one guy at the zero. It's almost like they were half daring the Pats to onside kick. If the kick is executed better, we should easily win that onside kick. We had the numbers. It was 9 vs 6, and that's being generous. It was really 9 vs 4. I'm not questioning BB as much for that decision in hindsight now. They really should have won that.

1st down after failed OSK.
Zero blitz. Yikes! :eek:
The only time I remember seeing Butler on Julio. Matt throws it to the vacated spot.

After the holding penalty; 2nd and 11.
Busted coverage by the Pats D. Hooper wide open right away. But Sheard immediately beats the right tackle and almost gets a hold of Ryan but crucially forced Ryan to move, delaying his throw to Hooper. Ryan finally throws it to Hooper but Chung who was covering someone else hits the ball out of Hooper's hand.

If Sheard didn't get that pressure, it was a 1st down for the Falcons. All Freeman had to do was chip Sheard. He was just running a checkdown route towards the sideline. Shanahan or Freeman fail. That ought to rile up the Falcons fans even more. LOL!

3rd down and 11
Nice team sack by the front seven. Sanu ran an out cut, stopped, turned around and ran back inside. Wide open but Ryan was sacked. Rowe got beat by Sanu with this move earlier on the Falcons final scoring drive. I hope Rowe has been working on this.

Fake punt return attempt
Chung could have sold it more, but good awareness by Hardy.
On the other side Jones is trying to block the gunner which means the Pats knew the punter was kicking to the left. Gotta believe the Falcons ST knew this as well yet most of the team bought(or had to honour) the fake.

FG drive after Bennett caught it inside the 10
Hogan is open. DT dropped into coverage and was trying to pick him up, but no way he's staying with him. Unfortunately Cannon gets beat. Lost leverage/footing after Falcons lineman looped? That was a touchdown.

Hightower strip sack.
Gotta give credit to the Pats flexibility. The entire front seven being able to line up at the LoS forces them to figure out who's coming. Freeman looked inside to Van Noy and then started to peel out into a checkdown route as Hightower blew by him.

1st play after strip sack
Front seven bites hard on play action fake. Hogan wide open immediately. Unfortunately Brady gets sacked right as he finishes his dropback. It's inside the 5, if not a TD. You could say it didn't matter but we had to convert a 3rd and 11.

1st 2 point conversion, direct snap to White.
Falcons D were not ready for it. Pats o-lineman were able to double team the DT's. Too easy!

Ensuing kickoff
Falcons D now have their hands team. I can't tell who besides Julio and Deion Jones and Sanu. I wonder how the Pats hands team looks like. I don't see a problem with Julio or Sanu being on the field. But Deion Jones? He just gave up when Jonathan Jones blew by him It was bad. The result? Falcons starting at their own 10.

Checkdown to Freeman for long gain.
As soon as Roberts sees it's not a run he tries to make depth. Unfortunately Butler jammed Sanu inside rather nicely. So Sanu pushed Roberts out of his way. Roberts is on the ground, Freeman is wide open. Does that count as OPI if it's before the throw?

2nd and 8 at midfield, Julio Jones toe tapper.
Sheard and Long both stunt inside. Sheard should have just shot the gap in between Mack and the right guard. Hightower did a nice job occupying the RG and RT. Instead he tries to go in the gap between the LG and LT.

Branch is trying to occupy the centre and LG. Unfortunately when the LG moves to pick up Sheard, Branch falls down because he was leaning on the LG. Contain is lost. Ryan steps up for miracle throw.

If Branch didn't fall down, Ryan can't step up, stumbling Van Noy sacks Ryan right there. The back end had everything on lockdown. If Sheard shot inside the RG and centre, Mack tries to pick up Sheard and Branch falls down anyways. Contain would have been ok with Long's inside stunt so Ryan wouldn't have been able to step up. Hindsight is 20/20 though.

Falcons final punt
Only 10 men on the field. Amendola walks on the field barely hindering the gunner. What was that about?

1st play of the epic 91 yard tying drive
Hogan runs some down the field route with a fake or two on direction. He has Brian Pool beat. Poole also falls down. Hogan is wide open.

Unfortunately it's another stunt! DE crashes into Mason, Mason is pushed back off balance. Cannon tries to help him. Unfortunately this causes Cannon to miss picking up the DT stunting around. Brady who is looking at Hogan has to move, and then tries to throw it to Hogan but he's hit while throwing it.

Hard to tell but I give it a 50/50 chance it's a 91 yard TD. At worst it would have moved them to about the Pats 45-50 yard line.

James White spiking the ball with all the emotion was really nice to see when they got it to 26-28.

There were plenty of missed opportunities in that game for the O. You watch the tape and you don't feel like the Falcons were dominating them. The Patriots certainly didn't feel that they were.

Those god damn stunts and loops hurt the Pats a few time. I really hope with another season together that the o-line cohesion will improve and maybe we won't see them get beat on those stunts/loops. Either that or the Falcons D are world's greatest stunters/loopers.

Brian Poole sucked despite the praise some Falcons give him. Or maybe he was just having a really bad game like Mason did.

Anyways that's all I got, we're on to 2017!:)

Fake punt return attempt
Chung could have sold it more, but good awareness by Hardy.
On the other side Jones is trying to block the gunner which means the Pats knew the punter was kicking to the left. Gotta believe the Falcons ST knew this as well yet most of the team bought(or had to honour) the fake.

I'd wager that somewhere in the realm of 20-25% of Patriots fan are aware that there was even a trick play punt return attempt in the Super Bowl, and even fewer than that in the general populace. It's the most hidden play of the game which would have gone for 50+ yards if not for the one guy it didn't fool.

I thought like you that Chung maybe didn't fake it enough, but looking at the successful attempts at this play, none of the returners played a fake at all. They just rant to the ball and the other team was just too mesmerized by the punt return being set up on the other side of the field. I don't think there's enough time to fake one way, peel off, locate the ball and catch it, ready to run. The catches are all barely caught by a guy on the run.

If the Falcons had held on to win, narrowly, that guy who ruined the trick play would have been the secret MVP.

Checkdown to Freeman for long gain.
As soon as Roberts sees it's not a run he tries to make depth. Unfortunately Butler jammed Sanu inside rather nicely. So Sanu pushed Roberts out of his way. Roberts is on the ground, Freeman is wide open. Does that count as OPI if it's before the throw?

Only if Gronk is in the vicinity.

The comeback was actually ridiculously slow and lots of things went wrong. The 3rd quarter was almost over by the time they score the first touchdown, then miss the PAT. That made the 4th quarter a net LOSS for the Patriots - in effect, no actual comeback was apparent yet.

Then they settle for a field goal.

The game never stopped being excruciating until they had the TD-2PT-TD-2PT blitz at the very end of the 4th.

I've watched the second half maybe four or five times knowing the outcome and every time I'm still "man, you guys got get this going!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft