PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defensive Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1 in points allowed and going to the Sb both years and winning one is about as far from disaster as there is.

That is why I was saying it is a bit strong. I think it was just a step in the entire evolution of defensive schemes as a response to all that college stuff that has been leaking over to the pros.

Maybe I should have put quotes around "bit strong" to emphasize it more.

Defensively against the Chiefs, I'll be watching how the front 6/7 handle Kareem Hunt AND keep Mahomes contained to the pocket. I think if we do both, we can live with break downs in the secondary...and keep the Chiefs off the board a bit (say 24-27 points).

That is why I was saying it is a bit strong. I think it was just a step in the entire evolution of defensive schemes as a response to all that college stuff that has been leaking over to the pros.
It’s not a bit strong it’s 100% completely wrong.

The big nickel was our base d for the 2 years in question and during those 2 we were the #1 defense in the nfl, wentto 2 sbs and won a Sb.
For that 2 year period the patriots, in big nickel base were the most effective defense in the NFL.

Defensively against the Chiefs, I'll be watching how the front 6/7 handle Kareem Hunt AND keep Mahomes contained to the pocket. I think if we do both, we can live with break downs in the secondary...and keep the Chiefs off the board a bit (say 24-27 points).
Why would we “live with breakdowns in the secondary”?

Why would we “live with breakdowns in the secondary”?

Hopefully, we won't have to...LOL.

Facing an offense like KC's means picking your poison. I'd rather see Hill, Watkins, and Kelce make tough catches on passes by Mahomes IN the pocket vs. Mahomes running loose and tossing across the field on broken plays for huge gains (like the one to Kelce on 3rd down vs. Denver or the left handed throw for a first down to Hill).

At least, forcing Mahomes to throw from the pocket limits big plays and makes them march down field. I don't think Mahomes is that good in the red zone where the field is smaller...against Denver he had to run in for one TD...then hit Kelce late in the game. If we can limit 2 or 3 red zone visits to figgies...that is an 8 or 12 point swing...

It’s not a bit strong it’s 100% completely wrong.

The big nickel was our base d for the 2 years in question and during those 2 we were the #1 defense in the nfl, wentto 2 sbs and won a Sb.
For that 2 year period the patriots, in big nickel base were the most effective defense in the NFL.

I guess I am conflating it with the four safety defense (big dime ?) too much.

Hopefully, we won't have to...LOL.

Facing an offense like KC's means picking your poison. I'd rather see Hill, Watkins, and Kelce make tough catches on passes by Mahomes IN the pocket vs. Mahomes running loose and tossing across the field on broken plays for huge gains (like the one to Kelce on 3rd down vs. Denver or the left handed throw for a first down to Hill).

At least, forcing Mahomes to throw from the pocket limits big plays and makes them march down field. I don't think Mahomes is that good in the red zone where the field is smaller...against Denver he had to run in for one TD...then hit Kelce late in the game. If we can limit 2 or 3 red zone visits to figgies...that is an 8 or 12 point swing...

I think the overall gameplan is pretty clear. Contain QB and give them the short run and underneath throws. Let them dink and dunk themselves in a series of plays into scoring distance and not give up any big plays. The more plays they have to play the fewer of those scripted ones they have left and the more potential is there for them to fail.

If we can make them punt 2-3 times in the entire game or turn a couple of TDs into FGs we should be able to win it if the offense plays any way close to how they looked in the first half against the Colts.

Ok. The 4 safety defense was awful.
But that’s not the big nickel.

That's what the OP was talking about. The Big Nickel defense was decent for the Patriots up until last season but then you could say that about any scheme the Patriots defense ran. It wasn't just the 4 safety look that was a disaster... the entire defense was not good and their PPG ranking got a boost with the offensive competition (or lack thereof) that they played after the first four weeks. A lot of that had to do with what was going on up front.

Preview for KC...

Is there an actual NFL rule about swapping jerseys with team mates?
At a minimum I'm sure they have to report who is wearing what but I'd guess there is more to it to stop stupid things.

Preview for KC...

I'm far from a chicken little, but I don't see us stopping the Chiefs very easily. On the plus side, their defense is awful, so we should be able to compete in a shootout. They'll put a ton of stress on our coverage players, though, and I don't expect to win a ton of the battles.

I'm far from a chicken little, but I don't see us stopping the Chiefs very easily. On the plus side, their defense is awful, so we should be able to compete in a shootout. They'll put a ton of stress on our coverage players, though, and I don't expect to win a ton of the battles.

It is not about stopping them but slowing them down. Turn 1 or 2 TDs into FGs or force a punt or two and that might be enough already if our offense plays like in Thursday's first half.

Chiefs are tough. I fully expect them to score in the mid/high 20s.

I expect to score in the 40s.

Chiefs are tough. I fully expect them to score in the mid/high 20s.

I expect to score in the 40s.

Last 2 regular season games, Patriots got clobbered by Chiefs. Sadly, I expect a Patriots loss next week. :(

Ok. The 4 safety defense was awful.
But that’s not the big nickel.

Actually, I think I was making the same mistake. The Defense I was talking about featured Jordan Richards prominently. Big Dime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back