PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The glass is very half full on this roster at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wilkerson seems so far ahead of NKeal. I don't know if NKeal has a role here with Wilkerson, Gunner, Nixon
Wilkerson did better on the plays they have used Harry on in the last two years. However, running crossers and jet sweeps is not is game. It’s bizarre they keep using him the same way. And it was brutal watching him use all he could running away from two back up LB’s to barely get a 1st down on his only catch.

Wilkerson did better on the plays they have used Harry on in the last two years. However, running crossers and jet sweeps is not is game. It’s bizarre they keep using him the same way. And it was brutal watching him use all he could running away from two back up LB’s to barely get a 1st down on his only catch.
I could live the rest of my life never seeing another jet sweep and be ok with that.

Yeah let's put to bed the myth that Harry is good after the catch or breaking tackles . He's not. Touch the guy with a couple outstretched fingers and he goes down, been the case for 3 years now. Stop force feeding the guy a short pass and expect him to do anything with it. His 1 useful role was blocking for Wilkerson on a quick toss. But a blocking body for a couple plays a game isn't worth a WR roster spot in my opinion.

I said it last year and I’ll say it this year, we need a huge fatty on the defensive line. Our guys are getting pushed around.

we need two corners, one if Gilmore returns. Mills snd slowjuan are safeties and Jackson, Ross and virgin are slightly better than jags, although Jackson had potential.

I said it last year and I’ll say it this year, we need a huge fatty on the defensive line. Our guys are getting pushed around.

we need two corners, one if Gilmore returns. Mills snd slowjuan are safeties and Jackson, Ross and virgin are slightly better than jags, although Jackson had potential.

Definitely. The defense is missing 1 super fat immovable NT. Feel good about the defense besides this.

No it was a realistic response.
What does he learn sitting on the bench?
What does he learn running the scout team instead of the offense in practice?

The real truth is he learns way faster by doing that sitting around watching someone else. It’s important in life and the NFL.

I just want to make sure everyone paid attention to this life lesson ^

One size fits all when it comes to learning, and no one would possibly suffer any negative consequences by performing in front of millions and failing due to not being ready yet.

DL
Some of us (including me) prefer to have a 325+ pound NT at the center of our defense. Belichick simply disagrees and chooses a different emphasis for the DL.
==============
CB
Are you suggesting trading for 2 corners at the cost of $10-$20M? Arguably, We have the VERY BEST set of 3 starting corners in the NFL. (Yes, our nickel is a starter). Or are you suggesting that Mills, Bryant, and Williams are SO BAD at corner that we need to keep one as a #4 safety and cut the other two in favor of free agent scrubs (or mid-level trades)?

I suggest that we face the fact that Belichick considers Mills/Williams/Bryant/Jackson to be good enough as backups at corner.
================
BOTTOM LINE
We usually say that we can't have top players at every starting positions. We DO HAVE this at CB. What you seem to be suggesting is that Belichick needed/needs to spend enough to secure a top player as our 4th CB. (and 5th, since you said that we need one or two).

IMO, that is just NOT the way to manage the team or the position.

Please read...stop whining about NT perception....

Unlike the vast majority of NFL teams who run a variation of the same scheme week in and week out, the Patriots are game plan specific. This means that their entire defensive approach changes from week to week depending on the strengths, weaknesses and tendencies of the opponent. Very seldom do you see the Patriots run the same scheme two consecutive weeks or even against the same opponent a second time.

For example, one week they might blitz a lot with pressman coverage. The next week, they will play zone and force the mobile QB to try and beat them from the pocket. Another week, they'll switch from the 4-3 to a 3-4 defensive front in an attempt to disguise where the blitz is coming from.

2. Take away what the opponent does best.

The Patriots' approach is to neutralize the opponent's biggest threat and make them try to beat you left handed. Whether that means devoting two players to stop an opposing WR or having your DEs and OLBs hit the TE or RB every time he releases, the Patriots defensive scheme is built around the idea of disrupting the offense's natural tendencies and timing and forcing the offense to adjust - something that many offenses seem to struggle with.

3. The Patriots prefer their defensive linemen to two gap.

Most NFL defensive lines utilize the one-gap technique. That means each D-lineman is responsible for a gap between two O-linemen and his job is to get in and through that gap and cause havoc in the backfield. The Patriots usually prefer their D-linemen to read and react to the play by controlling the O-lineman in front of them and being responsible for the gap on either side of him. The benefit of this approach is that you keep the play in front of you and you usually free up the LBs to clean up the play by preventing the OLs from getting their hands on the LBs. This isn't to say the Patriots never have their DL one gap, but that the more common technique they use is two-gapping.

There is enough talent on this team and particularly the defense to start Jones, take it slow and increase his load as the season wears on. He only needs to take the easy throw, not make mistakes and accept that a punt isn’t a disaster at the beginning of the season and we will be fine.
In 2019 we literally won 11 games that an average Qb not being asked to carry much of a load would have won because the defense was THAT good 11 times.
If the coverage team improves a bit over last year, a punt is one of our strongest plays. Pretty sure 1 of them traveled damn near 80 yards from the LOS the other night, before being caught (in the air, not on a hop) and returned. There's an embarrassment of riches at the k and p positions right now. These things make life much easier on a rookie qb being asked to manage a game with what looks to be a very good defense.

The fact the offense being managed is trotting out a road grading OL with the best stable of backs I remember certainly helps. Stevenson's extra gear is going to make him rich, presuming his body holds up for contract 2. Let Sony go run angry for 2 more preseason games and hope he plays his way to a trade partner. No need to have Harris (looked banged up after getting rag dolled - running upright - last week) or Stevenson take a beating. James White likely stays, nobody will benefit from Mac more than White.

If this is the year to push, Cam sits. He isn't good enough to win you a game, and he's too mistake prone not to lose you a few.

Seattle? He should have won that. JE was never the same after that game.

Which game did he fumble away like a donkey?

Do you think his TD celebration will be putting the disguise back on this year?

Do his feet even know where he intends to throw? His delivery is a mess. Father Time had his way with Cam. All he's good for is pouting on insta and chest thumping - left-handed.

Now he's owed what exactly? What is it the NEP owe to the peacocking blowhard that 'business decisioned' Five-head a fuking Lombardi?

If the coverage team improves a bit over last year, a punt is one of our strongest plays. Pretty sure 1 of them traveled damn near 80 yards from the LOS the other night, before being caught (in the air, not on a hop) and returned. There's an embarrassment of riches at the k and p positions right now. These things make life much easier on a rookie qb being asked to manage a game with what looks to be a very good defense.

The fact the offense being managed is trotting out a road grading OL with the best stable of backs I remember certainly helps. Stevenson's extra gear is going to make him rich, presuming his body holds up for contract 2. Let Sony go run angry for 2 more preseason games and hope he plays his way to a trade partner. No need to have Harris (looked banged up after getting rag dolled - running upright - last week) or Stevenson take a beating. James White likely stays, nobody will benefit from Mac more than White.

If this is the year to push, Cam sits. He isn't good enough to win you a game, and he's too mistake prone not to lose you a few.

Seattle? He should have won that. JE was never the same after that game.

Which game did he fumble away like a donkey?

Do you think his TD celebration will be putting the disguise back on this year?

Do his feet even know where he intends to throw? His delivery is a mess. Father Time had his way with Cam. All he's good for is pouting on insta and chest thumping - left-handed.

Now he's owed what exactly? What is it the NEP owe to the peacocking blowhard that 'business decisioned' Five-head a fuking Lombardi?
Don't forget the failures in the 4th quarter against Denver.

JC Jackson intercepted a pass and took it back to the Denver 25. The offenses response: a sack, a pass for -2 yards, a Newton scramble, all for a total of 5 yards.

The defense intercepted Lock's next pass. The offense produced only 48 yards on 12 plays. 38 of those yards were passing yards by Julian Edelman.

Please read...stop whining about NT perception....

Unlike the vast majority of NFL teams who run a variation of the same scheme week in and week out, the Patriots are game plan specific. This means that their entire defensive approach changes from week to week depending on the strengths, weaknesses and tendencies of the opponent. Very seldom do you see the Patriots run the same scheme two consecutive weeks or even against the same opponent a second time.

For example, one week they might blitz a lot with pressman coverage. The next week, they will play zone and force the mobile QB to try and beat them from the pocket. Another week, they'll switch from the 4-3 to a 3-4 defensive front in an attempt to disguise where the blitz is coming from.

2. Take away what the opponent does best.

The Patriots' approach is to neutralize the opponent's biggest threat and make them try to beat you left handed. Whether that means devoting two players to stop an opposing WR or having your DEs and OLBs hit the TE or RB every time he releases, the Patriots defensive scheme is built around the idea of disrupting the offense's natural tendencies and timing and forcing the offense to adjust - something that many offenses seem to struggle with.

3. The Patriots prefer their defensive linemen to two gap.

Most NFL defensive lines utilize the one-gap technique. That means each D-lineman is responsible for a gap between two O-linemen and his job is to get in and through that gap and cause havoc in the backfield. The Patriots usually prefer their D-linemen to read and react to the play by controlling the O-lineman in front of them and being responsible for the gap on either side of him. The benefit of this approach is that you keep the play in front of you and you usually free up the LBs to clean up the play by preventing the OLs from getting their hands on the LBs. This isn't to say the Patriots never have their DL one gap, but that the more common technique they use is two-gapping.
nailed it the league GIF by hero0fwar

The arrow is pointing up but theres some fragility there. Gilmore and Jackson both fa's after season. Key vets could well retire High Dmac.
I feel like theres an urgency to this season: don't waste it. Hand the keys over to Mac. Hes a rook and therell be growing pains but he gives them the best chance to win. Cam can come in occasionally as a change of pace backup. If the Pats have decent success this year i.e. make playoffs, win one playoff game- that gives you a better chance of keeping one or both of Gilmore and Jackson. Neither one of those guys is about just the $- they want to win.

Isn't there some fragility with every team though? Name one team that has a roster full of high-end starters *AND* terrific depth all throughout every position group? Every team is just a couple of key injuries/losses away from being very different.

How many special-teams-only guys get kept? This seems an area for a surprise cut.

Kickers/Holders/Return
  • Folk or Nordin
  • Bailey (all star)
  • Cardona
  • Olszewski (all star) (as #4/5 WR)
Cover
  • Slater (as #5/6 WR) (the best evah)
  • Bethel (as #5 CB) (nearly = to Slater now)
  • Davis (as #5 S) ($2.1M guaranteed)
  • King (as #4 IL)
  • Virgin (as #6 CB)
  • Bolden (as #4/5 RB)
  • Wilkerson (as #4/5 WR)

Last edited:
How many special-teams-only guys get kept? This seems an area for a surprise cut.

Kickers/Holders/Return
  • Folk or Nordin
  • Bailey (all star)
  • Cardona
Cover
  • King (as #4 IL)
  • Bolden (as #4/5 RB)
  • Wilkerson (as #4/5 WR)
Don't forget Dee Virgin. He led the team in ST snaps last week, and he was the "starting" punt gunner across from Bethel with Slater getting the night off.

Don't forget Dee Virgin. He led the team in ST snaps last week, and he was the "starting" punt gunner across from Bethel with Slater getting the night off.

Added. CB, right?

Kickers/Holders/Return
  • Folk or Nordin
  • Bailey (all star)
  • Cardona
Cover
  • King (as #4 IL)
  • Virgin (as #6 CB)
  • Bolden (as #4/5 RB)
  • Wilkerson (as #4/5 WR)

Both the King & the Virgin suck... NFW either of them should ever make the 53.

Wilkerson blew his golden chance...He's our #6 WR but we're only keeping 5.

I think Bolden makes the 53 now.

And it still wouldn't shock me if one of Bethel or Davis is cut.

Both the King & the Virgin suck... NFW either of them should ever make the 53.

Wilkerson blew his golden chance...He's our #6 WR but we're only keeping 5.

I think Bolden makes the 53 now.

And it still wouldn't shock me if one of Bethel or Davis is cut.

I agree with the first 3 points, but not the 4th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down