PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The glass is very half full on this roster at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keeping QN would cost one NFL minimum salary (Nordin's).
Just clarifying a net loss in cap in case some might have thought we save Folk’s $1.1 M salary in cap space. Good news is the we get that leg for that salary next year...

Last edited:
Last edited:
The arrow is pointing up but theres some fragility there. Gilmore and Jackson both fa's after season. Key vets could well retire High Dmac.
I feel like theres an urgency to this season: don't waste it. Hand the keys over to Mac. Hes a rook and therell be growing pains but he gives them the best chance to win. Cam can come in occasionally as a change of pace backup. If the Pats have decent success this year i.e. make playoffs, win one playoff game- that gives you a better chance of keeping one or both of Gilmore and Jackson. Neither one of those guys is about just the $- they want to win.

I don't see that as fragility. In fact, I see it as strength. Take one guy out of every position group (except QB) and the Pats could field a middle of the pack team next year. And that's not going to happen. Plus, there's the draft and our own FA acquisitions.

Gilmore will be extended to 3 years, Jackeson leaves and DMac retires, and they are still fine back there.

I don't see that as fragility. In fact, I see it as strength. Take one guy out of every position group (except QB) and the Pats could field a middle of the pack team next year. And that's not going to happen. Plus, there's the draft and our own FA acquisitions.

Gilmore will be extended to 3 years, Jackeson leaves and DMac retires, and they are still fine back there.

My bigger concern is this D could be ELITE this year if they play stout run defense on the DLine. And several key defensive guys are getting long in the tooth, we may not have McCourty, Hightower, Gilmore all together next year. Looking at the full context including ages, the Pats have to go all in this year, which is why they also splurged on free agency this year. Going for it, not a rebuild year for young guys (including our rookie QB)

Just clarifying a net loss in cap in case some might have thought we save Folk’s $1.1 M salary in cap space. Good news is the we get that leg for that salary next year...
Nordin's salary wouldn't be top-51 and wouldn't count against the cap.

There is enough talent on this team and particularly the defense to start Jones, take it slow and increase his load as the season wears on. He only needs to take the easy throw, not make mistakes and accept that a punt isn’t a disaster at the beginning of the season and we will be fine.
In 2019 we literally won 11 games that an average Qb not being asked to carry much of a load would have won because the defense was THAT good 11 times.

Sounds like what I would say about Cam, LOL.

How do you know?

Re-watching last season off the DVD in recent weeks, you can see Cam's thought process being all over the place just by looking at his eyes pre-snap as well as on the sidelines. Now, I am no shrink....but I stay at the Holiday Inn Express now and then... but it is really night and day between the first 3 weeks and the next 8 games after that. In the first 3 weeks, Newton just instinctively used his athleticism...like he had no time to think and just reacted. After coming back from COVID, it was different.....took a long while.

Anyway, that is what *I* think.

Some additional thoughts about roster creation:

a.) I think we have a market for N'Keal Harry and Sony Michel. I think the Saints and the Rams would maybe give up a 5th and 4th..respectively?

b.) Can we survive with Wilkinson and Stevenson as replacements on the roster? I think so...and besides Michel is on the last year of his rookie deal....so we aren't likely to resign him...

c.) And I think I'd like to see JJ Taylor get some on the job training from James White....maybe be the 3rd down guy next year?

Sounds like what I would say about Cam, LOL.
Newton’s upside is a struggling offense that can’t effectively run nfl pocket passing concepts. I’d say it’s just the opposite for him.

Re-watching last season off the DVD in recent weeks, you can see Cam's thought process being all over the place just by looking at his eyes pre-snap as well as on the sidelines. Now, I am no shrink....but I stay at the Holiday Inn Express now and then... but it is really night and day between the first 3 weeks and the next 8 games after that. In the first 3 weeks, Newton just instinctively used his athleticism...like he had no time to think and just reacted. After coming back from COVID, it was different.....took a long while.

Anyway, that is what *I* think.
What you really have to watch are the routes. He doesn’t recognize the right time to throw, so even if he throws to the right guy he throws it late. And then there is how he reacts to the rush. If he would accept that his skill is to run around until the play breaks down and a receiver gets open downfield that would at least create some big plays but too many times last year he saw a rush and stood still to take the sack or threw the ball right into the face of the rusher.

a.) I think we have a market for N'Keal Harry and Sony Michel. I think the Saints and the Rams would maybe give up a 5th and 4th..respectively?

b.) Can we survive with Wilkinson and Stevenson as replacements on the roster? I think so...and besides Michel is on the last year of his rookie deal....so we aren't likely to resign him...

c.) And I think I'd like to see JJ Taylor get some on the job training from James White....maybe be the 3rd down guy next year?
No reason to trade Michel. In fact he is going to be a key piece of the offense.
He looks quick this year like he did last year. He has been very effective but for one injury plaque average season in 2019 behind a poor OL.

I feel like theres an urgency to this season: don't waste it.
I hate the idea that there is any alternative. There should always be an urgency to the current season. Giving up before the season starts is a losing mindset. It guarantees a wasted year, and a chance that’s gone forever.

What you really have to watch are the routes. He doesn’t recognize the right time to throw, so even if he throws to the right guy he throws it late. And then there is how he reacts to the rush. If he would accept that his skill is to run around until the play breaks down and a receiver gets open downfield that would at least create some big plays but too many times last year he saw a rush and stood still to take the sack or threw the ball right into the face of the rusher.

Dunno man, I can't see the top of routes on the TV. From what I see, guys are barely open in narrow windows between defenders even if they get off the line fast. Brady was frustrated with our 2019 skill players...maybe even as far back as the 2nd half of 2018... and we managed to get worse in 2020 and even worse when Edelman was out. Meyers is great, but everybody zeroed on him last year. I think having TE's will have a major difference this year.

Agree. See ya NKeal Harry and Sony Michel. Also Get rid of anyone from John Carroll in the organization.

OFFENSE

QB
If there was doubt, there isn't now. We only need to carry 2 QB's.

OL
1) I think that Ferentz may be the 8th active OL (there is an extra active player if it is an OL). With him active, we can withstand 2 injuries at any position, a major plus. Yes, another center could beat out Ferentz, but Belichick seems comfortable with him at the bottom of the roster.
2) Cajuste will likely be given a chance on the 53 if he is healthy. He has more talent than his competitors.
3) There is an open question with regard to carrying a 9th OL. With 8 active, one would think so. With the new Practice Squad rules, one would think not. Carrying 8 would free up a roster spot for a FB.

WR
4) In Wilkerson,, we indeed have a viable competitor for Harry. Let them fight it out!

RB
5) It's Taylor or Bolden. We could cut Bolden and re-sign him after someone goes on IR.

TE
There is no competition here.

BOTTOM LINE
We have learned a lot for a first pre-season game. The decisions seem to be
A) Ferentz or another center.
B) Harry or Wilkerson.
C) a 9th OL or a FB
D) Taylor or Bolden

AN ASIDE
That gives us an offense of 25
2 QB
3 TE
6 WR (including Gunner and Slater)
5 RB
9 OL/FB

DEFENSE

SECONDARY
1) Williams seems very likely to be on the 53, leaving one open spot in the secondary.

FRONT SIX
2) Guy, Wise, Anderson, Godchaux, Barmore
3) Judon, Uche, Perkins
4) Hightower, Van Noy, Bentley
5) That leaves 3 open roster spots, with these players competing for the spots
Cowart, Adams, Spence, Davis, Winovich, Jennings, Langi, Berry, Thurman, Bower, new acquisition, 2nd kicker, Bledsoe
6) My choices would be Adams, Winovich and Jennings (although we may need to do something to have a 2nd kicker for awhile).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back