PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Roster Decisions

hornetfb85

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Boy oh Boy is this gonna be fun. I know that we haven't started yet, but why not put the cart before the horse and start thinking about some roster decisions. Just looking through our roster there does not seem to be much wiggle room when it comes to roster spots (I know stuff happens with injuries trades/surprise cuts). I'm really bored right now so lets get into it.

QB (2) - Newton, Jones
RB (5) - Harris, Michel, White, Stevenson, Taylor
WR (5) - Agholor, Meyers, Bourne, Olszewski, (Undetermined)
TE (4) - Henry, Smith, Asiasi, Keene
OL (8) - Brown, Wynn, Onwenu, Mason, Andrews, Karras, Herron, (Undetermined)
DL (6) - Godchaux, Anderson, Guy, Wise, Barmore, (Undetermined)
LB/Edge (8) - Winovich, Hightower, Judon, Van Noy, Uche, Jennings, Perkins, Bentley
CB (5) - Gilmore, Jackson, Jones, Bryant, (Undetermined)
S (4) - McCourty, Dugger, Phillips, Mills
ST (6) - Folk, Bailey, Cardona, Slater, Bethel, Davis

Notes:
- RB: I see Stevenson taking Bolden's spot.
- WR: Would like to see a veteran outside (Jeffery, Stills, someone else) to come in and battle Harry and Nixon for that 5 spot.
- TE/FB: Hopefully Keene can find a blocking role.
- OL: Fan of bringing in Eluemanor to backup G and T.
- DL: Cowart, Davis and Adams fighting for 1 spot.
- LB: McGrone spends a year getting healthy
- DB: Still some good outside CB's to come in and battle Joejuan for the backup CB spot.

That's all I got, I understand it will not go like this with all that can happen but like I said was bored.

Pretty sure we'll see 3 QBs all season, COVID insurance. That being said, Stidham might have the best arm through camp and will likely turn a few heads. Maybe they trade him before the season starts?

Boy oh Boy is this gonna be fun. I know that we haven't started yet, but why not put the cart before the horse and start thinking about some roster decisions. Just looking through our roster there does not seem to be much wiggle room when it comes to roster spots (I know stuff happens with injuries trades/surprise cuts). I'm really bored right now so lets get into it.

QB (2) - Newton, Jones
LB/Edge (8) - Winovich, Hightower, Judon, Van Noy, Uche, Jennings, Perkins, Bentley

Notes:
- WR: Would like to see a veteran outside (Jeffery, Stills, someone else) to come in and battle Harry and Nixon for that 5 spot.
- DB: Still some good outside CB's to come in and battle Joejuan for the backup CB spot.

That's all I got, I understand it will not go like this with all that can happen but like I said was bored.

I know that people really hate Harry on here, but I think Gunner is a lot more likely to battling for the 5th WR spot than Harry. I also think Bryant is more likely to be battling for the 4th corner spot than Williams.

I hope they don't keep 3 quarterbacks but I would be surprised if they didn't.

Normally I would expect at least one UDFA to make the team but it's hard to project that since the Pats have yet to sign any so far. Injuries will also be a part of this unfortunately.

Love the 53 man roster post! Can't wait for the season to start!

Always fun when you get to make your first 53 of the year. Here's mine:

• QB (2): Newton, Jones
  • RB (5): Harris, Michel, White, Taylor, Stevenson
  • FB (1): Johnson
  • WR (5): Agholor, Meyers, Bourne, Harry, Olszewski
  • TE (3): Henry, Smith, Asiasi
  • OL (8): Wynn, Onwenu, Andrews, Mason, Brown, Karras, Herron, Sherman
  • DL (5): Godchaux, Wise, Guy, Anderson, Barmore
  • EDGE (4): Judon, Winovich, Uche, Perkins
  • LB (5): Hightower, Van Noy, Bentley, McMillan, Jennings
  • CB (6): Gilmore, Jackson, Jones, Williams, Bryant, Bethel
  • S (4): McCourty, Phillips, Mills, Dugger
  • ST (5): Folk, Bailey, Cardona, Slater, King
  • Reserve (1): McGrone
Some thoughts behind my decisions:
  • Kind of hard to justify going with only 2 QB before we've seen Jones do anything as a pro, but these roster spots are going to be extremely competitive this year. A spot for Stidham will probably open up one way or another.
  • Our 2020 third round looks real bad right now. As in, all 3 picks (Asiasi, Jennings, Keene) showed virtually nothing. Right now I'm keeping Asiasi and Jennings on the 53 based on projection alone, but if they're just the same players as last year, they're 100% gone.
  • I don't feel so bad about keeping just 8 OL with the amount of versatility those 8 players have. That's contingent on Sherman being an actual player, though. Otherwise, replace him with Cunningham or (probably not) Cajuste.
  • I feel like we'll somehow keep one of Spence/Davis/Cowart, but I just didn't think any of them were worth a spot over anyone else I chose to keep at any position.
  • To be honest, I don't really know how to categorize some of the players I listed at EDGE/LB. Uche, Van Noy, Jennings could go either way. That just seems to be the way we like building the front 7 these days.
  • It's not inconceivable Hall and/or Reynolds could take the spots of McMillan/Bentley. Reynolds in particular with his ST utility seems like a guy BB will try to find a way to keep.
  • I count Bethel as CB depth because he's done it in the past with a level of actual success. LaRoy Reynolds is also a LB in my book for the same reason, even if both he and Bethel do almost all their damage on ST.
  • Rooting for Bledsoe to earn a roster spot because a 5th safety would be very nice when you consider the other 4 are all likely to play significant snaps (and therefore risk injury).
  • Cody Davis is another ST player I couldn't find room for but I'm sure Belichick will find a way to keep.
  • As a rule, I never speculate that a player will start on a reserve list until they've actually been placed on it. However, BB all but told us McGrone is headed to one. I'm hoping it'll be PUP/NFI (not sure which he qualifies for) with late season contributions.

COVID insurance.
Exactly. As I understand it COVID roster rules are still in place for 2021...?

New CBA rule: Additionally, according to the new CBA, a team can carry up to 55 players on its roster during the week -- up from 53 in past years -- by elevating one or two players from its practice squad before 4 p.m. ET on the day before that team's game. This will allow teams a larger pool from which to select their 47 or 48 game-day active players. Any player elevated from the practice squad for this purpose will immediately revert to his team's practice squad on the day after the game.

No player may be activated under this rule for more than two games per season, either regular-season or postseason games. If a player has already been elevated twice under this rule, and the team wants to add him to the roster, it must terminate his practice-squad contract and sign him to an NFL contract, as has been the case with practice-squad players in years past.
PSquad is also expanded.

QB (2) M.Jones, J.Stidham
RB (5) D.Harris, S.Michel, J.White, R.Stevenson, J.Johnson
WR (6) N.Agholor, J.Meyers, K.Bourne, N.Harry, T.Nixon, M.Slater
TE (4) J.Smith, H.Henry, D.Asiasi, D.Keene
C (2) D.Andrews, T.Karras
G (3) S.Mason, M.Onwenu, W.Sherman
T (3) I.Wynn, T.Brown, J.Herron
DE (3) M.Judon, D.Wise, H.Anderson
DT (4) L.Guy, D.Godchaux, C.Barmore, B.Cowart
ILB(3) D.Hightower, C.Winovich, R.McMillan
OLB(4) K.VanNoy, J.Uche, A.Jennings, R.Perkins
CB (5) S.Gilmore, J.Jackson, J.Jones, M.Bryant, J.Williams
SS (3) K.Dugger, A.Phillips, C.Davis
FS (3) D.McCourty, J.Bethel, J.Mills
ST (3) J.Bailey, N.Folk, J.Cardona

Total players: 53
Created with Pats Picker: Pats Picker 2019

Last edited:
I know that people really hate Harry on here, but I think Gunner is a lot more likely to battling for the 5th WR spot than Harry. I also think Bryant is more likely to be battling for the 4th corner spot than Williams.

I hope they don't keep 3 quarterbacks but I would be surprised if they didn't.

Normally I would expect at least one UDFA to make the team but it's hard to project that since the Pats have yet to sign any so far. Injuries will also be a part of this unfortunately.

Love the 53 man roster post! Can't wait for the season to start!

i think they need to find a way to give gunner a spot. Hes become a legit weapon in the return game, too valuable there

i think they need to find a way to give gunner a spot. Hes become a legit weapon in the return game, too valuable there
I agree. I think both Harry and Gunner make the team. I think Gunner provides a lot of value in special teams but Harry is the 4th receiver and Gunner is the 5th.

Thanks for all the replies. Very good feedback. So let's update a bit:

When I looked over the roster again with the mindset of "I would be surprised if this guy is not on the team", this is what I saw:

QB (2): Newton, Jones
RB (5): Harris, Michel, White, Stevenson, Taylor
WR (5): Agholor, Meyers, Bourne, Harry, Olszewski
TE (3): Henry, Smith, Asiasi
OL (7): Brown, Wynn, Onwenu, Mason, Andrews, Karras, Herron
DL (5): Godchaux, Anderson, Guy, Wise, Barmore
LB/Ed (8): Judon, Hightower, Van Noy, Uche, Winovich, Jennings, Perkins, Bentley
CB (4): Gilmore, Jackson, Jones, Williams
S(4): McCourty, Mills, Phillips, Dugger
ST (6): Folk, Bailey, Cardona, Davis, Bethel, Slater

* An 8th OL will take up a spot on the 53
* If McGrone is healthy he is on there, but let's say he is on the PUP

So that is 50 spots....3 to go....

Who else has a shot:
Jarrett Stidham
Brandon Bolden
Dan Vitale
Jakob Johnson
Dalton Keene

Byron Cowart
Carl Davis
Montravius Adams
Raekwon McMillan
LaRoy Reynolds
Brandon King
Myles Bryant
Joshuah Bledsoe

Likely say bye to Bolden, King and Vitale.
Do we keep a 3rd QB??
Do we keep a fullback??
Do we give up on Keene after one weird season??
Do we have room for another DL??
Can Reynolds, Bledsoe or McMillan provide enough on Sp Teams to get a look?
I think Myles Bryant is on the team, but is there room??

Interesting decisions ahead. Some decent current Patriots will hit the wire.

QB (2) - Newton, Jones

Notes:

You left McMillan off.

Wonder if we can sneak Keene, Nixon and Bledsoe onto the PS.

I think this question was asked and answered previously but if Johnson (FB) makes the team is he included in the 53 or is he extra

QB (2) M.Jones, J.Stidham
RB (5) D.Harris, S.Michel, J.White, R.Stevenson, J.Johnson
WR (6) N.Agholor, J.Meyers, K.Bourne, N.Harry, T.Nixon, M.Slater
TE (4) J.Smith, H.Henry, D.Asiasi, D.Keene
C (2) D.Andrews, T.Karras
G (3) S.Mason, M.Onwenu, W.Sherman
T (4) I.Wynn, T.Brown, J.Herron, Y.Cajuste
DE (2) D.Wise, H.Anderson
DT (4) L.Guy, C.Barmore, D.Godchaux, B.Cowart
ILB(3) D.Hightower, C.Winovich, R.McMillan
OLB(4) M.Judon, K.VanNoy, J.Uche, R.Perkins
CB (5) S.Gilmore, J.Jackson, J.Jones, M.Bryant, J.Williams
SS (3) K.Dugger, A.Phillips, C.Davis
FS (3) D.McCourty, J.Bethel, J.Mills
ST (3) J.Bailey, N.Folk, J.Cardona

Total players: 53
Created with Pats Picker: Pats Picker 2019

Oh No Football GIF by Nickelodeon

McMillan probably replaces Bentley.
Hopefully one of the two prove better than the other, I just don't see BB cutting Bentley. He seems to love the guy.

Jake Bequette 2.0 (Although much more productive that Bequette, but you get the point)

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back