PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The glass is very half full on this roster at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just from a realistic point of view, I don't see the Pats as contenders for the SB right now, they might develop into a contender during the season, but this heavility depends on the overall health of the starters and of course the performence of the QB (whoever it will be in the end), until any of them prove that they are ready to lead this team to victories.

We can hope for the best, but lets not fool ourselfes to talk about a ring before we even saw a real snap played in week1, thats not Bradys team anymore where you could realy "expect it" that they will go far into the PO.
I have a different thought process.

1) For now, we are a Super Bowl contender. For that to be true, we need to be a playoff contender, and we are that.

2) We play one game at a time, which is where the player focus must be. As far as the coaching staff, the first long term goal is the division, as it has been since Parcells was coach. (And yes, sometimes we sneak in as a Wild Card team.

3) One we are in the playoffs, then we have shot. If we get hot, we have a chance.

4) Many times in the past, folks might have judged us as not be a Super Bowl contender. IMO, that is not a reasonable way to view the season before a single snap, UNLESS the team is truly a poor team, very unlikely to win half our games.

TO BE CLEAR
If we were 4-4 after Cam's starts and we bring in Davis for the rest of the season, I certainly think that we would have a good chance at being in the playoffs, and then having a shot at the ring.

Last edited:
Total14013975−63−12,6134,34860.131,6987.31901189185.81,0715,3985.072T703222,3945821
YearTeamGamesPassingRushingSacksFumbles
GPGSRecordCmpAttPctYdsAvgTDIntLngRtgAttYdsAvgLngTDSckSckYFumLost
2011CAR16166−1031051760.04,0517.821179184.51267065.659T143526052
2012CAR16167−928048557.73,8698.019128286.21277415.872T836244103
2013CAR161612−429247361.73,3797.124137988.81115855.35664333631
2014CAR14145−8−126244858.53,1277.018125182.11035395.22253830095
2015CAR161615−129649559.83,8377.835107499.41326364.847103328454
2016CAR15146−827051052.93,5096.919148875.8903594.02853627732
2017CAR161611−529149259.13,3026.722166480.71397545.46963534291
2018CAR14146−832047167.53,3957.224138294.21014884.82942921360
2019CAR220−2508956.25726.4014471.05−2−0.43064322
2020NE15157−824236865.82,6577.28105082.91375924.349123119561

Cam has had only 2 seasons above 65% cmp in his carrer, overall is barly above 60%, where you got your stats from?
Anyway, I hope for the Pats to win, regardless who is starting, but I am not in Cams ass that deep I don't see clear anymore like others here ;)

Here's my lukewarm reply as I'm also bullish on Mac. But Cam passed for 66% last year per your stats despite covid fog, no TEs, crap receivers beyond Meyers, and an OC who refused to call play action or passing plays in red zone (pigeon holing him as a runner).

The Pats just reloaded and splurged on pass catchers. Why do you think Cam can't be at 60% passing, 8 TDs 4 INTs through the first 6 weeks this year ?

Why do you think Cam can't be at 60% passing, 8 TDs 4 INTs through the first 6 weeks this year ?

I hope he will be, hope he will be even more than that, I only do not have confidence yet into it until he proves it on the field.

Every single grouping on the roster has at least competent, if not outstanding, veterans in leadership roles plus one or more young players with a ton of upside.
This is gonna be interesting...

McCourty/Phillips/Mills + Dugger
Mills & Uncle Dugg kinda suck, so...

Gilmore/Jackson/Jones + Jackson/Bryant
If Bryant is used as a backup Slot CB, then maybe...If he's used as a single-high Safety, then Hell No...Need to see more - a lot more - from Mike Jackson before I award him the #4 Outside CB job...

Hightower/Bentley/McMillan + Jennings
McMillan is unfortunately done for the season...And I don't know if Jennings even played on Thursday...JaWrong's simply the best of a bad lot...

KVN/Judon + Uche/Winovich/Perkins
We'll see...

Cowart/Davis/Guy/Godchaux/Wise + Barmore
Coward sucked last season and hasn't set foot on the field this season... Davis was the best of a bad lot... Godsmack was pushed back 5 yards on too many plays... Wise is or should be used inside only during passing downs... And Barmore hasn't played yet.

Brown/Ferentz/Karras/Mason/Wynn/Andrews + Onwenu
Thanksdad is NOT a #7 OLman on a contender... And who's our Swing Tackle?

Hunter/Smith + Assiasi
Maybe, if they can stay out of the tub...

Harris/White/Michel + Taylor/Stevenson
Agreed.

Meyers/Agholor/Bourne + Olszewski/Wilkerson
Wilkerson doesn't have NFL hands... And who's our Outside guy besides Agholor?

There's even a succession plan for Slater. And a possible "look what we found and repaired" outstanding kicker on bottom dollar salary.
There's Always a succession plan for STs-only guys...And Nordin needs to hit All of his XPs before I ever consider replacing Folk with him...

We all have our mindset about Jones, but he did just have the most competent showing in a first exhibition game of any rookie QB in Patriot's history, right? Who was better at this point?
He has the Check-down game sussed... Time to push the football downfield more often vs Philthy...

The drafting in the past couple of years has been excellent by any NFL standard.
Wrong.

Yes, better depth at a couple of positions would be nice, but that's exactly the kind of problem good teams are supposed to have right now.
I could write: I wish we were one of those teams...But I won't...

This is a good Patriots team. Half this forum will be weirdly pissed when the Pats start 4-2 with Cam Newton as starting quarterback.
With this easy first-half schedule, they should be 6-2 after eight games, even with Cant at QB...

I hope he will be, hope he will be even more than that, I only do not have confidence yet into it until he proves it on the field.

Fair enough. I think we're on the same page besides Cam. If the team isn't getting it done I'm of course on board with going with the high potential rookie QB. Just don't like how weird and toxic it's going to be the next 2 months with media hacks generating controversy and fans actively rooting against Cam in stadiums.

Fair enough. I think we're on the same page besides Cam. If the team isn't getting it done I'm of course on board with going with the high potential rookie QB. Just don't like how weird and toxic it's going to be the next 2 months with media hacks generating controversy and fans actively rooting against Cam in stadiums.
don't think it will be, only if Cam plays the same way he did end of last year, than of course it will get "ugly", its actually up to Cam to avoid it

however do not think Fans are routing agains Cam, I haven't heared him being booed or something, they cheer more for Mac, its fine, he is the rookie they put a lot of hope (for years to come) in him, for Cam everyone knows its just for a season not more plus his performance last year was not breathtaking (at least not in a positive way) people don't buy into him...
they might if he has a stellar season but again its up to him and his performance, and this season there are no excuses, he has to perform now

don't think it will be, only if Cam plays the same way he did end of last year, than of course it will get "ugly", its actually up to Cam to avoid it

however do not think Fans are routing agains Cam, I haven't heared him being booed or something, they cheer more for Mac, its fine, he is the rookie they put a lot of hope (for years to come) in him, for Cam everyone knows its just for a season not more plus his performance last year was not breathtaking (at least not in a positive way) people don't buy into him...
they might if he has a stellar season but again its up to him and his performance, and this season there are no excuses, he has to perform now

Ok. Well I hope so. I think there's a good chance the Pats have a winning record and you have some really toxic anti-Cam stuff in media and also being posted here the next 2 months regardless. Fingers crossed.

Every single grouping on the roster has at least competent, if not outstanding, veterans in leadership roles plus one or more young players with a ton of upside.

McCourty/Phillips/Mills + Dugger
Gilmore/Jackson/Jones + Jackson/Bryant
Hightower/Bentley/McMillan + Jennings
KVN/Judon + Uche/Winovich/Perkins
Cowart/Davis/Guy/Godchaux/Wise + Barmore
Brown/Ferentz/Karras/Mason/Wynn/Andrews + Onwenu
Hunter/Smith + Assiasi
Harris/White/Michel + Taylor/Stevenson
Meyers/Agholor/Bourne + Olszewski/Wilkerson

There's even a succession plan for Slater. And a possible "look what we found and repaired" outstanding kicker on bottom dollar salary.

We all have our mindset about Jones, but he did just have the most competent showing in a first exhibition game of any rookie QB in Patriot's history, right? Who was better at this point?

The drafting in the past couple of years has been excellent by any NFL standard.

Yes, better depth at a couple of positions would be nice, but that's exactly the kind of problem good teams are supposed to have right now.
Mac looked good Thursday night. I'm not high on Cam but I think he deserves a chance to show that he can or cannot do the job. His career QB rating is 83, he is what he is at this point. Let Cam start but with a short leash. He may have some utility in goal line situations.

Why aren't you thinking about a ring? The Pats go for it every year and try to win as much as possible. No tanking. Even last year they won games messing up their draft order in order to try to win.
Look I don't even disagree with you that hard. The biggest difference is you wrote Cam off entirely, while I don't think last year fully encapsulates what Cam could do in 2021.
Even the small sample size we had in the pre-season game points to more of the same. Slow to make a decision, can't change protection, can't read the defense. He's an athlete, not a super computer, to run this offense well you need a super computer. Enter stage left, Mac Jones.

It's a good roster and I think Mac is high potential. Sure. Maybe he's the exception but just going off historical precedent, not a huge proponent of throwing a rookie QB in there if the goal for 2021 is to try to win a ring.
Going off historical precedent throwing cam Newton in there if you are going for a ring is doomed to failure.
Unless he turns back the clock to the one season in his career that he could even sniff one, which he can’t, history tells us he has no chance.

Mac looked good Thursday night. I'm not high on Cam but I think he deserves a chance to show that he can or cannot do the job. His career QB rating is 83, he is what he is at this point. Let Cam start but with a short leash. He may have some utility in goal line situations.
I’m curious why you think he deserves to play. How did he earn that right?

I’m curious why you think he deserves to play. How did he earn that right?
It's my belief Mac should sit the 1st game to watch and learn how or not how it's done. I think that takes an unnecessary weight off his shoulders in starting the 1st game. I believe overall he will have more success during the season with this scenario. I want Mac to succeed and I think this helps him. I am sure you disagree....why ?

It's my belief Mac should sit the 1st game to watch and learn how or not how it's done. I think that takes an unnecessary weight off his shoulders in starting the 1st game. I believe overall he will have more success during the season with this scenario. I want Mac to succeed and I think this helps him. I am sure you disagree....why ?
I don’t see what sitting on the bench does for Jones

I wonder what people's thoughts are on Mac facing Brian Flores's defense as the first game. I don't expect Mac to get PTSD and see ghosts a la Darnold, but even Herbert and Rothlisberger got to watch their first game from the sidelines.

I wonder what people's thoughts are on Mac facing Brian Flores's defense as the first game. I don't expect Mac to get PTSD and see ghosts a la Darnold, but even Herbert and Rothlisberger got to watch their first game from the sidelines.
Well the irony is that there are aspects of the Dolphins defense that are similar to the Patriots....so some of what he may be seeing is familiar.

That was a sh!tty response. Learning. It's important in life and the NFL.
No it was a realistic response.
What does he learn sitting on the bench?
What does he learn running the scout team instead of the offense in practice?

The real truth is he learns way faster by doing that sitting around watching someone else. It’s important in life and the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down