PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rewatch Thread: NE @ Detroit

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first 6 defensive snaps. I've numbered them for discussion purposes.

This is tough to judge for me personally but I'll put down some thoughts and wait for you guys to jump in.

1. Excellent edge setting. KVN tracks down the RB from behind. Hightower in the cutback lane.
2. Need some help here. Is Gilmore giving the WR too much of a cushion? Seems so otherwise this is a first down everytime. If he plays with a five yard instead of ten does Stafford throw to him?
3. This ends up being a seven yard run play. My guess is that Hightower needed to be quicker to the hole than the pulling guard. Btw, Hightower doesn't look slow rather just out of position to me.

upload_2018-9-25_7-28-58.png

4. I'm not sure who's responsibility it was to pick up the RB coming out of the backfield (Hightower or Bentley??) but the guy was wide open. Again I think this is a schematic issue rather than a "speed" problem. Correctable in other words.

5. This looks like Brown is being held on this play preventing him to get to the runner.

upload_2018-9-25_7-38-22.png

6. Bentley has this hole plugged but for some reason he runs away from the running lane and into the Tackle + Hightower. Correctable imo.

upload_2018-9-25_7-42-39.png

So I think these issues are more correctable schematic problems. I'm not buying into the "lack of talent" narrative. I also think they'll fix these issues as they did last season.

More focused on the 3rd 4-9, I guess that doesn't count as "long". Where it's almost half. Is that normal?
I would call 3rd and long 10+.
But 4+ they have been ok

So I think these issues are more correctable schematic problems. I'm not buying into the "lack of talent" narrative. I also think they'll fix these issues as they did last season.

To me personally there are two things going on in parallel that created the perfect storm of panic.

1) certain positions really show a lack of talent and depth both on offense and defense and teams are able to exploit this

2) both sides of the ball have had breakdowns in their fundamentals to absurd points where even if you had the most physically talented roster in the NFL you would have issues winning games.

The latter part is correctable and will be fixed in the next few weeks. This is what we are seeing every year.

The first point remains a question for me because it includes a lot of "ifs".

If Gordon can pull himself together and McD finds a good fit for him, If Edelman comes back and can be close to himself, If Bentley remains on this trajectory and doesn't hit the rookie wall, If Dawson becomes a contributor, If Michel settles down and If the team finds a way to use Brown/Shelton more effectively, If Rivers works himself into a rotation and can use his potential then I don't see why this team can not win a title.

The more "ifs" work out the more likely it is that we will be here until deep into January.

Just as an fyi to everyone...if you take a look at the Dolphins roster, they are significantly more talented at nearly every position (with the exception of the two obvious ones) than the Patriots. Don't know how this happened, but it's obvious when you look at the two depth charts. Next week at this time could be ugly.

Just as an fyi to everyone...if you take a look at the Dolphins roster, they are significantly more talented at nearly every position (with the exception of the two obvious ones) than the Patriots. Don't know how this happened, but it's obvious when you look at the two depth charts. Next week at this time could be ugly.

Good for them

Is it just me or have I seen a dozen pick plays against the Pats the last few weeks?

I find it hard to believe that receivers and running backs are catching balls 5-10 yards out consistently with dbs trailing 1-3 yards.

Is the talent and scheme that bad right now?

This is a good contribution to the re-watch thread for the Lions game.

To me personally there are two things going on in parallel that created the perfect storm of panic.

1) certain positions really show a lack of talent and depth both on offense and defense and teams are able to exploit this

2) both sides of the ball have had breakdowns in their fundamentals to absurd points where even if you had the most physically talented roster in the NFL you would have issues winning games.

The latter part is correctable and will be fixed in the next few weeks. This is what we are seeing every year.

The first point remains a question for me because it includes a lot of "ifs".

If Gordon can pull himself together and McD finds a good fit for him, If Edelman comes back and can be close to himself, If Bentley remains on this trajectory and doesn't hit the rookie wall, If Dawson becomes a contributor, If Michel settles down and If the team finds a way to use Brown/Shelton more effectively, If Rivers works himself into a rotation and can use his potential then I don't see why this team can not win a title.

The more "ifs" work out the more likely it is that we will be here until deep into January.

Where's the run defense going to improve? Who is going to step in at DT and not only win one on one battles with the C and OG, but maybe even also demand double teams? That certainly hasn’t been Brown to date (he’s been garbage) nor has Shelton proven capable. I don't see that anywhere currently on the roster. If the defense can't stop the run up front, they won't be a championship caliber unit. Even if all of those other factors pan out.

Is it just me or have I seen a dozen pick plays against the Pats the last few weeks?

I find it hard to believe that receivers and running backs are catching balls 5-10 yards out consistently with dbs trailing 1-3 yards.

Is the talent and scheme that bad right now?

It's not just you. It's like the Manning Broncos have been cloned (complete with favorable officiating).

I havent digged deep enough into the scheme/packages/substitutions but is Flores having them do different things than what Fat Matt did?

I havent digged deep enough into the scheme/packages/substitutions but is Flores having them do different things than what Fat Matt did?

Doesn't really look like it. That's because the defense is Belichick's.

Where's the run defense going to improve? Who is going to step in at DT and not only win one on one battles with the C and OG, but maybe even also demand double teams? That certainly hasn’t been Brown to date (he’s been garbage) nor has Shelton proven capable. I don't see that anywhere currently on the roster. If the defense can't stop the run up front, they won't be a championship caliber unit. Even if all of those other factors pan out.

Unless there is a miraculous turnaround by Shelton any improvement there will be scheme-based. Not saying it is will happen and have no clue how likely but certainly possible. They should at least return to the level of incompetence of 2017 which is still better than what we have seen so far.

On that note, if the run defense is really unfixable with the current personnel then I expect there to be roster changes to mitigate that.

Unless there is a miraculous turnaround by Shelton any improvement there will be scheme-based. Not saying it is will happen and have no clue how likely but certainly possible. They should at least return to the level of incompetence of 2017 which is still better than what we have seen so far.

On that note, if the run defense is really unfixable with the current personnel then I expect there to be roster changes to mitigate that.

Agree. I doubt it'll be Valentine. That might need to come via a trade.

It’s hard to say because a key part of the Patricia defenses was a third down package that basically had Chung at linebacker and Flowers at DT. Flores has spent the last game and a half without both of the “tweeners” that really made the scheme work.

The D is BBs but the playcalls and packages are Flores's unless BB overrules him (which does happen).

It’s hard to say because a key part of the Patricia defenses was a third down package that basically had Chung at linebacker and Flowers at DT. Flores has spent the last game and a half without both of the “tweeners” that really made the scheme work.
Not having Flowers was huge. Chung as well.

I havent digged deep enough

into the scheme/packages/substitutions but is Flores having them do different things than what Fat Matt did?

We've been running the same D all three games.

Last game it looked like we used the diamond front w KVN down instead of HT.

I haven't noticed anything striking from Flores tbh

For 2 weeks some have been saying it's "correctable" but there's little analysis as to ho it'll get fixed. Haven't heard anything as to how & genuinely would like to hear what some think??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST