PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rewatch Thread: Philly @ NE (Preseason #2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, entirely possible. For all either of us know, he could have received offers from all 32 teams right after the draft and may have turned down offers with guaranteed money to play with NE. I just don't think it's a likely scenario. In general, high demand players get signed quickly and receive more guaranteed money. He doesn't know for sure there would be a spot for him later if a team already had 90 spots. Also, if no team is willing to use a spot on the 90 man roster until August, that also leads me to believe he had very little demand.

In order for a team to want to claim him and place him on their active roster without having spent training camp with them, he has to show something he hadn't already shown by draft time last year. That's why athleticism and measurables aren't enough, he needs to really shine the next two preseason game.

You're posting the same thing here for the seventh time (that btw better belongs to other threads) - without even trying to show anything to back your claims. If you are that passionate about your claims don't be lazy . show why they should be considered. You have film (preseason and college), you have data, you have history of cutdowns and waiver claims all easily accessible.

I did some work for you so let's see:

1. Last year 44 players were claimed on waivers immediately after Sept. roster cutdowns.
2 of them were DE's: Odom was UDFA, Cooper veteran with 2 NFL seasons and more of a DL (3-4DE). Here full list: NFL Waiver Tracker: Every team's claims after cutdown deadline

2. The reason not more DEs were claimed is DE's are not easily cut. (You have plenty teams that did not cut a single DE last Sept.) Of all DE's cut during last cutdowns only two 1st or 2nd year players were drafted: Woodard #226 in 2016 and O'Connor #250 in 2017. Both were not projected to get drafted if that is what you go by. None of them was invited to Combine. Keionta was invited to Combine where he found out about his injury. Despite that he was projected to be drafted. You wanna know what Belichick thinks about that?

3. What you can do now is further explore the latest history of cutdowns to see if there is something that supports your claims. Or you can compare the preseason tape (and college if you will) of Keionta and others in similar situation so that i can better understand what Keionta has to show further in order he would get claimed off waivers.. (or if you wanna take it easy simply show how Odom outplayed Keionta in preseason)

And for the time being you can ignore the fact that (somewhat against public opinion) Patriots have a very strong record of bringing in and developing DE rookies . and that the league knows that..

Last edited:
And for the time being you can ignore the fact that (somewhat against public opinion) Patriots have a very strong record of bringing in and developing DE rookies . and that the league knows that..

OH. That solves it. Keep Davis. Cut a WR. No-one will pick up a receiver we drafted. :eek::mad:

That's a sound argument.

I would say that the 2004 team was much more impressive in the playoffs than the 2003 team.
I could argue either way. 03 took out the coMVPs back to back holding them to 14 points a piece. Getting a takeaway on every first half Indy drive them 2 more in the second half was pretty damn impressive.
If they hadn’t lost both starting safeties they would have blown out Carolina in the SB.
But hey I love me some 2004 Patriots too.

Clicked on this thread and jumped into a discussion about whether 2003 or 2004 was a better team. Huh?

Clicked on this thread and jumped into a discussion about whether 2003 or 2004 was a better team. Huh?
Mods dropping the ball. This thread should be game tape or a discussion about what we saw/was posted in here.

It's not like there's not a million sh itpost threads out there for that.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
If he were that intriguing based on measurables alone, why did he go undrafted and then go unsigned for four months? Any team could have taken him and put him on NFI for a year, thereby not using a roster cost and also costing little, if any, money. His measurables are the same as when every team passed on him in the draft and UDFA. The only thing that would change his status is preseason performance (which has just been ok so far, nothing special).

He is definitely a solid developmental prospect, but not a lock or even likely to get claimed off waivers at this point.

He had a neck injury. That's why he went on the NFI list. It's probably also why he went undrafted and unsigned for 4 months. And the Pats put him on the NFI list and kept him despite knowing the issue.. They never attempted an injury settlement. That tells me they felt he had something to offer.

No. Any team couldn't put him on the NFI list. While NFI doesn't count against a roster spot, it still counts against the cap. So, teams would have had to look at what sort of cap hit they'd take. Not everyone is as astute as the Patriots when it comes to the cap.

Also, not everyone was as thin at DE as the Patriots were last year.

Basically, there are multiple reasons why a player doesn't get picked up immediately. Any one of them could be the reason Davis sat. We'll never truly know.

They're still in preseason form. :cool:
Bah, resting on their laurels: long vacations, playing golf on game days, recording rap albums (see Ashley's Gronkie Dreams and Ross' Mod God), photo shoot in the Seychelles with the Pats cheerleaders. Only IcyPatriot has been slugging it out most of the summer.

Going to be a long season....look for an 8-8 season in the GDT.

Trust me I will be more vigilant with reporting posts that are off topic in the regular season. Hope some of the admins @Ross12 or @ashley1992 will help keeping this a football discussion only thread like most of last year.
I'll admit I've been very relaxed with that sort of thing during the "offseason"... preseason isn't the offseason but we aren't into the actual regular season yet either so we're a bit in-between. I've mostly been watching things at a higher level and figuring I'll watch more closely as the season rounds into full swing, but responding to actual reports and things that tag me directly (like this) right away.

On a more personal note, my time's stretched crazy thin between my 19-month-old son being a total psychopath (climbing everything in sight, wanting to flip/jump/dive off everything possible), getting promoted essentially twice-over at work during the last 7 months, and my wife and myself having some slight medical issues here and there. So I apologize sincerely for not being as present on a social level here as I had been in years past, I'll be making efforts to change that as we head into September :) Don't mean to sound like I'm complaining or making excuses, just figured it was a good opportunity to let everybody know where I'm at since a lot of our regulars are posting here. Major thanks to our other awesome mods like @ashley1992 @IcyPatriot and of course @Ian.

Also, while I've got your attention, you may have seen @Clonamery mention my up-and-coming debut hip hop album Mod God, please consider donating on my GoFundMe page to help me bring this masterpiece to life. Early backers get 1 post rated "Genius" by me and get to take Ashley out on a date. I haven't actually asked her if that's okay but I'm sure she'll say it's fine. Thanks fam! :cool:

Hi Ross,

Glad to hear everything is well with you Ross and Oliver, once the season starts, you better be a more frequent visitor here.;);)

I'll admit I've been very relaxed with that sort of thing during the "offseason"... preseason isn't the offseason but we aren't into the actual regular season yet either so we're a bit in-between. I've mostly been watching things at a higher level and figuring I'll watch more closely as the season rounds into full swing, but responding to actual reports and things that tag me directly (like this) right away.

On a more personal note, my time's stretched crazy thin between my 19-month-old son being a total psychopath (climbing everything in sight, wanting to flip/jump/dive off everything possible), getting promoted essentially twice-over at work during the last 7 months, and my wife and myself having some slight medical issues here and there. So I apologize sincerely for not being as present on a social level here as I had been in years past, I'll be making efforts to change that as we head into September :) Don't mean to sound like I'm complaining or making excuses, just figured it was a good opportunity to let everybody know where I'm at since a lot of our regulars are posting here. Major thanks to our other awesome mods like @ashley1992 @IcyPatriot and of course @Ian.

Also, while I've got your attention, you may have seen @Clonamery mention my up-and-coming debut hip hop album Mod God, please consider donating on my GoFundMe page to help me bring this masterpiece to life. Early backers get 1 post rated "Genius" by me and get to take Ashley out on a date. I haven't actually asked her if that's okay but I'm sure she'll say it's fine. Thanks fam! :cool:

I could argue either way. 03 took out the coMVPs back to back holding them to 14 points a piece. Getting a takeaway on every first half Indy drive them 2 more in the second half was pretty damn impressive.
If they hadn’t lost both starting safeties they would have blown out Carolina in the SB.
But hey I love me some 2004 Patriots too.

Was 2003 the year Brady said, "We're not losing another game"?

All moderation in the preseason is strictly vanilla. That's the rule, IIRC.

One thread lock. Everyone knows the rules.

Yeah, and maybe the mods are working on their limiting abusive speech skills and the board is practicing going off topic. You never know how well these things will translate until the real games begin.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye