PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rewatch Thread: Philly @ NE (Preseason #2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

luuked

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
The weekly rewatch thread of specific scenes. Discussion is supposed to be hot take and whining free. Use the Post Game thread to vent or blow off steam. We are talking X & O or just deeply about plays in here.

@long distance

Here is the play:

The way I see it this is not Dorsett running around scared but the timing on the entire operation being off. Does he turn around too early ? Is Brady a bit late ? Brown too fast ? Something seems off here..

Until the pass arrives Brown has already committed to block for outside which Dorsett does not until after he turns around and makes a step towards the inside.

To me the entire operation of that screen was just off.

Actually the more I look at it the more I think the feeling of something being off comes from how much time passes between him turning to receive and then until he is turned around with the ball in his hands: almost 1.5 seconds. That is an eternity..

Actually the more I look at it the more I think the feeling of something being off comes from how much time passes between him turning to receive and then until he is turned around with the ball in his hands: almost 1.5 seconds. That is an eternity..

Timing would have been better if Brady had worked with him at OTA's...

;)

Great job on the vid @luuked.

Let me first add my earlier take here:

He has 5 yd cushion upon catching the ball on a single coverage with a mountain of T.Brown going to block the outside with a clear running lane for TD . instead he goes inside (Brady is not leading him there imo - his throw is neutral and allows immediate outside run though not leading there) gets indecisive and is stopped short. If Jules or White are there its a clear TD no matter what you think of TB throw . and with decisive less agile WR its a 5yds more inside id guess..
____

Dorsett's job is to be decisive, esp. in sit. like this. I doubt T.Brown went blocking outside for his fun. And even if TBs pass is not leading him OUT - neutral is best in this sit. imo to keep DBs guessing - (he is certainly not leading him IN . but Dorsett's landing does for some reason). If you have 5 yds cushion - an eternity as you mention - you have to at least make a big YAc gain even if on the wrong way through the middle

btw - those T.Brown moves are just unbelievable . he could audition for royal ballet with those legs..

I hope @Nunchucks doesn't mind editing this here (hopefully he joins in person later):

Dorsett came too far inside, which is why the ball was high. Brown was probably in the right spot, Dorsett ran the route wrong.

One problem with Dorsett taking the slot might be he is not comfortable with defender on his back so he has the tendency iirc to move towards the ball and free space even when he should've anchored at certain spot. I wonder how BB and TB react to this..

The blocking was weak to terrible on that play.

Very impressed here. You don't see a lot of first round cornerbacks that have the awareness to get their heads around and arms out in coverage in the back corner of the end zone and Bentley did exactly that. Also great awareness by 21. He read the slant all the way before the Philly WR even began his break.

I though last night was a great reality check/example of what we're getting from a few guys.

Brown was lost on a few plays. Here he just anticipates the rush, goes into his slide & is easily timed by Means who just know kicks inside & uses Browns momentum against him.

Very sloppy vert set. Waits way too long to strike (OL strike, DL punch). He's beat 1/2 way through this rep.

Just lost here

Too high, has to get better leverage. Knows he's beat. Instead of attacking the shoulder (how you beat a LA) he's just trying to survive.

Brown gets a reality check & we finally can put to rest "what type of WR" CP is.

Perfect illustration of what we're getting in CP

Uses Jones momentum against him & just does what he does.

Flat, bubbles, reverse, crossers etc

Love the thread @luuked, @long distance & others put together. One of the best reads out there for actual Pats talk.

Thanks !

I am currently not with my usual setup but on the road so lack the broadband internet to upload more stuff. Should be all ready again for W1. For now we rely on what @timnog in /r/patriots uploads and then the annotated tweets by Lazar et al.

If @Tony2046 ends up having some time carving up film this season again we will have a fun ride in here. And of course all the other regulars that you already mentioned.

yep . 95's QB hunting game is on

Not nitpicking you, not the biggest deal either. I love Nink but he's off here.

There's no pull/snatch involved here.

Punch to outside shoulder & dip.

Rivers inside hand barley touches if at all & his outside one never get hold of the OT.

Thanks !

I am currently not with my usual setup but on the road so lack the broadband internet to upload more stuff. Should be all ready again for W1. For now we rely on what @timnog in /r/patriots uploads and then the annotated tweets by Lazar et al.

If @Tony2046 ends up having some time carving up film this season again we will have a fun ride in here. And of course all the other regulars that you already mentioned.
At work & don't think it's up but I'll look at the tape lata when I get a chance.

I though last night was a great reality check/example of what we're getting from a few guys.

Brown was lost on a few plays. Here he just anticipates the rush, goes into his slide & is easily timed by Means who just know kicks inside & uses Browns momentum against him.

Very sloppy vert set. Waits way too long to strike (OL strike, DL punch). He's beat 1/2 way through this rep.

Just lost here

Too high, has to get better leverage. Knows he's beat. Instead of attacking the shoulder (how you beat a LA) he's just trying to survive.

Yeah the hype on Brown from the media and some of the people on the board who never saw him got out of hand a bit. Something I added to my list of things to look out for during next weeks dress rehearsal.

I missed the game. Rivers looks great here. How was he against the run?
Tbh I didn't watch every rep yet. Was recording a pod most of the 2nd half but I can't remember anything memorable. Pretty sure he was only in on 3rd down for most of the 1st & maybe the game. My 2nd son so I'll def look later on lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back