PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rewatch Thread: Philly @ NE (Preseason #2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like I was pretty wrong last week when I said he needs to diversify more. He already has a nice repertoire of moves. Maybe I just didn't see it last week or his jump from week-to-week was really that big. I am pretty excited about Rivers now.
Honestly he's had a very nice arsenal since college. Everything we've seen so far he's demonstrated throughout his time at YSU. Really nice mix of power/finesse which he saw last night. Long Arm, Club/Rip for power & a quick punch/dip for finesse. 3 excellent rushes.
Big thing for me is a solid counter when he's initially stopped. I'd also love to see a spin worked in bc he's such a threat from the outside.

Might sound crazy to some but if he's not our best rusher in terms of variety, skill etc he's very close. Really expect him to be that guy this year.

Great job on the vid @luuked.

Let me first add my earlier take here:

He has 5 yd cushion upon catching the ball on a single coverage with a mountain of T.Brown going to block the outside with a clear running lane for TD . instead he goes inside (Brady is not leading him there imo - his throw is neutral and allows immediate outside run though not leading there) gets indecisive and is stopped short. If Jules or White are there its a clear TD no matter what you think of TB throw . and with decisive less agile WR its a 5yds more inside id guess..
____

Dorsett's job is to be decisive, esp. in sit. like this. I doubt T.Brown went blocking outside for his fun. And even if TBs pass is not leading him OUT - neutral is best in this sit. imo to keep DBs guessing - (he is certainly not leading him IN . but Dorsett's landing does for some reason). If you have 5 yds cushion - an eternity as you mention - you have to at least make a big YAc gain even if on the wrong way through the middle

btw - those T.Brown moves are just unbelievable . he could audition for royal ballet with those legs..
Who tbought losing Solder would be a upgrade.

Trent Brown looks lazy out there. There's a reason why the Scar put Wynn into the game.

Seems that when Waddle was reinserted at RT, Brady started seeing more pressure from the right side.

Brown gets a reality check & we finally can put to rest "what type of WR" CP is.

Perfect illustration of what we're getting in CP

Uses Jones momentum against him & just does what he does.

Flat, bubbles, reverse, crossers etc

Patterson is going to be a weapon. An unconventional one, but him being a threat in those ways adds a dimension to the offense, and will open up other things.
I could see running gronk to the seam and then bringing Patterson underneath on a shallow crosser driving defenses crazy.

Very impressed here. You don't see a lot of first round cornerbacks that have the awareness to get their heads around and arms out in coverage in the back corner of the end zone and Bentley did exactly that. Also great awareness by 21. He read the slant all the way before the Philly WR even began his break.

I remember a big concern with Bentley when he was drafted was his slow 40 time.

They did say he played much quicker in actual game action, but I was skeptical since that was at the college level.

They sure weren’t lying, he looks quick enough to me.

Patterson is going to be a weapon. An unconventional one, but him being a threat in those ways adds a dimension to the offense, and will open up other things.
I could see running gronk to the seam and then bringing Patterson underneath on a shallow crosser driving defenses crazy.

I was actually thinking the same thing.

Am I just wrong in still thinking his hands are a bit suspect ? He does those circus one armers sometimes but then seems to have more issues on quick passes. Maybe I am just biased. Theoretically catches on crossers should be "easy" but that is my major concern with him.

They did say he played much quicker in actual game action, but I was skeptical since that was at the college level.

Kind of deceptive, though, since it's such a short area of the field to defend. It'll be more telling when he's tasked with coverage with the ball on the 40 yard line.

I though last night was a great reality check/example of what we're getting from a few guys.

Brown was lost on a few plays. Here he just anticipates the rush, goes into his slide & is easily timed by Means who just know kicks inside & uses Browns momentum against him.

Very sloppy vert set. Waits way too long to strike (OL strike, DL punch). He's beat 1/2 way through this rep.

Just lost here

Too high, has to get better leverage. Knows he's beat. Instead of attacking the shoulder (how you beat a LA) he's just trying to survive.

Thanks, BGC, but that's quite misleading twitter thread there. Just re-watched all TB snaps. I don't know what the guy's agenda on T.Brown is but this is put extremely out of context. All 4 plays are taken from the same - penultimate TB&TB drive. I wonder why the guy didn't start watching from the start??

Trent had very solid 1st drive, possibly a bit up and down for the most part but nothing too dramatic with some very nice plays as well and bounced back ok for the last drive. Don't scare people further here esp. in light of Wynn news..;)

Last edited:
Thanks, BGC, but that's a quite misleading twitter thread there. Just re-watched all TB snaps. I don't know what the guy's agenda on T.Brown is but this is put extremely out of context. All 4 plays are taken from the same - penultimate TB&TB drive. I wonder why the guy didn't start watching from the start??

Trent had very solid 1st drive, possibly a bit up and down for the most part but nothing too dramatic with some very nice plays as well and bounced back ok for the last drive. Don't scare people further here esp. in light of Wynn news..;)
I doubt he has a real agenda. Their bad reps anyway u slice it. He's gotten a ton of praise on here & nothing wrong w showing both sides.

I was actually thinking the same thing.

Am I just wrong in still thinking his hands are a bit suspect ? He does those circus one armers sometimes but then seems to have more issues on quick passes. Maybe I am just biased. Theoretically catches on crossers should be "easy" but that is my major concern with him.
His catch rate has always been good.

He looks plenty fast on the field.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not as good at breaking down film as some of you are, so I'm curious how Jason McCourty did overall last night. I know he got beat pretty badly on the touchdown, but outside of that I don't remember seeing him much (which could be a good thing, if he was out there and not getting beat).

There was the one kick coverage play where he seemed to take the wrong angle on the returner (resulting in Gost having to make the tackle), but that was also the return where Moore completely botched his containment, so I'm not sure McCourty wasn't just reacting to that breakdown.

Either way, anyone notice anything good or bad?

I'm not as good at breaking down film as some of you are, so I'm curious how Jason McCourty did overall last night. I know he got beat pretty badly on the touchdown, but outside of that I don't remember seeing him much (which could be a good thing, if he was out there and not getting beat).

There was the one kick coverage play where he seemed to take the wrong angle on the returner (resulting in Gost having to make the tackle), but that was also the return where Moore completely botched his containment, so I'm not sure McCourty wasn't just reacting to that breakdown.

Either way, anyone notice anything good or bad?

Waiting for the All22 to come out on this one. Like you said he didnt see much action coming his way which could be for any number of reasons.

The one time he got burned in the endzone he bit on the slant and then was out of the play once the Eagles player turned on him. Looks brutal but you are always at a disadvantage in a pure 1v1 as DB.

Waiting for the All22 to come out on this one. Like you said he didnt see much action coming his way which could be for any number of reasons.

The one time he got burned in the endzone he bit on the slant and then was out of the play once the Eagles player turned on him. Looks brutal but you are always at a disadvantage in a pure 1v1 as DB.

The first job of a player in coverage is to discourage the QB from throwing his way.

The first job of a player in coverage is to discourage the QB from throwing his way.

Most of the time, but not always. A CB that's excellent at trail tech may want to encourage/bait the QB into throwing the ball his way on deeper routes (such as the 9, 8, or 7 routes) so he can close and make an attempt to get his hands on it. Butler was pretty good at that early on in his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes