PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rewatch Thread: NE @ Jacksonville

Status
Not open for further replies.

luuked

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Starting early to put together some of the little pieces of analysis that are already showing up on Twitter.

As usual keep your OT discussions out of this thread. Every reply that starts an discussion that has nothing to do with a play or is not a more schematic (X&O) question will get reported and eventually deleted by our great mods team. If you want to whine and vent go into the Postgame thread and don't derail the conversations here.

I will also pin the snap counts and coverage stats for this game into the top post just in case someone wants to look at them in a few weeks for whatever reason:

Last edited:

Perfect symptomatic scene for the entire game.

You get the free rusher in Bentley who just badly misses and then KVN is in great position but Bortles still hits a perfect throw. There were at least 2 potential turnovers in this one scene but things just worked out perfectly for the Jaguars.

The lesson is that we are in the NFL where even bad QBs can have great games sometimes because the margins between being good, average and bad are fractions of a second thin. Bortles had a great game.

I wonder how many of the geniuses in the GDT realized that Waddle wrecked that play when they complained about the playcall.

That fraction of a second Dorsett lost by having to run around Waddle is another potential TD because CP was in position for downfield blocking.

Last edited:
Any word on how they did against the RPO? I started to drink progressively harder as the game went on yesterday for obvious reasons but it looked as though the Pats struggled against it again at times yesterday.

I wonder how many of the geniuses in the GDT realized that Waddle wrecked that play when they complained about the playcall.

That fraction of a second Dorsett lost by having to run around Waddle is another potential TD because CP was in position for downfield blocking.

Hogan didn't chip the safety on his dummy route. This play is on him.

We got killed on low crossers that forced LB matchups. Props to the Jags for doing their homework and executing a great, great game plan. Bentley is a rookie, and HT is slow in space, and that's where they hit us hard.

My knee jerk reaction yesterday was that the success Bortles had with down field passes was what kinda wrecked us.

But that was without a rewatch or anything.

My knee jerk reaction yesterday was that the success Bortles had with down field passes was what kinda wrecked us.

But that was without a rewatch or anything.
That and their WRs are all lightning fast. They can threaten every level of the field so I think the Pats were content to give them the crossers and routes between the numbers. The difference was where Bortles would usually force throws deep (leading to INTs), he didn’t do that yesterday and was content to take what the defense gave him.

That first play where JB was free, I guess we would call that a rookie mistake? I would expect him to improve upon that. Bortles seemed to make some good throws though.

Chatham is gushing over Grant and the Pats inability to cover him out of the backfield...

If I copy and paste one of your insightful quotes from yesterday....such as "Brady sucked" ....on this thread, will you cry to the mods?
Were you known as The NARC in high school?
Let me fix that...
Are you known as The NARC in high school?

Thanks for posting the perfect example what will get reported and soon removed. Useless garbage like this. Go to the Post Game Thread with this.

Last edited:
Hogan didn't chip the safety on his dummy route. This play is on him.
You can’t just make up an assignment that a player didn’t have and blame him for not doing what he wasn’t supposed to.
And what you want him to do is OPI.

You can’t just make up an assignment that a player didn’t have and blame him for not doing what he wasn’t supposed to.
And what you want him to do is OPI.

He could have chipped him in the legally allowed zone around the LOS. Slow it down the timing would have worked out.

That being said the more I see the play the more I agree that it was not his job to do so and that McD estimated that since Dorsett was already flying in motion it would be enough to make him beat his counterpart around the edge and run the ball in behind a block from CP.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
I think Chung has lost a step and a half

The one play of his that irked me was the lack of situational football on a bortles scramble to pick up a first. I know his responsibility was the wr cutting back to the middle of the field but imo he should’ve have recognized bortles was past the LOS and ran to make the tackle instead. Hoping for an all 22 of this play to see if he was at fault or not.

He could have chipped him in the legally allowed zone around the LOS. Slow it down the timing would have worked out.

That being said the more I see the play the more I agree that it was not his job to do so and that McD estimated that since Dorsett was already flying in motion it would be enough to make him beat his counterpart around the edge and run the ball in behind a block from CP.
Hogan ran his route to draw his man (who was closer to the play) away from it. If he ran into the inside guy, his man would have read it and bounced out.

1 play out of 61.

The playcalling was puzzling and the type that the NE defense want to see and eat up. East - West runs parallel with the LOS like this Dorsett run. Jax is too fast to not get there in time. The NE run game never got going and struck no fear in the Jax defense.

Watching Sonny and then watching Zeke Elliot last night was striking. Sonny will hopefully get his game going.

Funny that he's complaining about this when the Patriots benefitted from it yesterday. That said, I agree wholeheartedly. This is an example where, if you're going to call it, there should have been a flag on Bortles for lowering his helmet. Or offsetting flags.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back