PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rewatch Thread: NE @ Jacksonville

Status
Not open for further replies.
And finally Gilmore getting beat 1v1 for the TD.

Good throw by Bortles and Gilmore was just never in position to play the ball. Realistically his only move was to punch it out.

So this was just a quick dive into the first drive. At least on this drive it seemed to me like the defense picked up the Jags packages relatively fine but just didn't execute during key 1v1s or got unlucky with bounces / timing.

Similarly to the offense there were enough plays there to make. But we just didn't make them.

That is the play that knocks Flowers out of the game. We have the worst luck so far with friendly fire. First Develin taking out Hill and now Davis taking out Flowers with a knee to the neck:

On a sidenote I hope we hear something positive from Flowers and Chung because those are huge losses.

As another sidenote, am I the only one who was wondering why the Jags didn't get called for the takedown of Flowers on this play? He basically got tackled.

As another sidenote, am I the only one who was wondering why the Jags didn't get called for the takedown of Flowers on this play? He basically got tackled.

The Jags got away with a lot of hold and extra-curricular activities yesterday.

I guess the refs had to make up for that KC/Pitt game where there was a flag on just about every play.

One run stuff later it seems like KVN is this time in position to actually make Bortles hesitate and the pass rush does the rest to force an incompletion:

lj3FKeW.jpg

That is the play that knocks Flowers out of the game. We have the worst luck so far with friendly fire. First Develin taking out Hill and now Davis taking out Flowers with a knee to the neck:

On a sidenote I hope we hear something positive from Flowers and Chung because those are huge losses.
Of course it’s hard to know for certain what his read/assignment was but it looks like he hesitated because after play action the rb looked like he was staying in to block.
It’s a long way for him to go in that play.
This is a great example for those who think blitzing is a cure all. When you blitz you leave your coverage very thin if you don’t get there. The 5th rusher came from that area.

On the second play what happened prior to the screen shot? Was it play action? Did the rb step up to pass block or did he release immediately? Looks like we only rushed 4 so the coverage responsibilities were probably different also.

Of course it’s hard to know for certain what his read/assignment was but it looks like he hesitated because after play action the rb looked like he was staying in to block.
It’s a long way for him to go in that play.
This is a great example for those who think blitzing is a cure all. When you blitz you leave your coverage very thin if you don’t get there. The 5th rusher came from that area.

The more I look at it the more I think I am also biased by the POV we have relative to what KVN sees out of his helmet. I am not sure he was able to sees Grant leaking out until he was already a few steps ahead and by then it was too late.

Here is what I assume many people refer to the "3 straight runs" which is not what happened:

Pass for 7 yards:

Run for 2 yards:

Run stuffed:

On the run stuff Andrews seemed totally overpowered, got pushed back and the main culprit:

I was looking for a better angle to figure out what I am missing because for my taste Michel went down way too easily here.

The play right after the third down conversion where a fumble bounces right back to the Jags and even gives them 6 additional yards.

The worst part about this play is not even how unfortunate the ball bounced but how slow and bad HT looked. That was one of the ugliest reps I have seen from him since his rookie season.

That being said.. I mean come on:

The part that frustrates me most about HT here is that not only is he slow as molasses, he also is actively blocking Jones from recovering the fumble. Jones sees it quickly and is making an attempt to get it but HT basically stiff arms him like he’s trying to block him from recovering it or some ****.

The part that frustrates me most about HT here is that not only is he slow as molasses, he also is actively blocking Jones from recovering the fumble. Jones sees it quickly and is making an attempt to get it but HT basically stiff arms him like he’s trying to block him from recovering it or some ****.

Yeah he seems slow. But as with everything will wait until after W4 with those things. By then there will be an undeniable pattern if someone has lost a step (or has an undisclosed injury).

Thats a TD for CP right there if Brady had a bit more time. Nice rub design and exactly what CP would need. Just another sloppy, individual break down.

Pressure on Brady so he couldn't get through his progressions. Doubt he saw Patterson on that play.

Pressure on Brady so he couldn't get through his progressions. Doubt he saw Patterson on that play.

Brady set to pass and waited a beat for Hogan before he was aware of any pressure. The pressure on this play is a red herring. He never saw Ngakoue coming at him.

Going through the game on Gamepass right now..

Blocks are set up beautifully for Burkhead to take it deep (even Dorsett is in place for an eventual block downfield) but he trips. The other thing in this clip to look at is how inept Trent Brown sometimes looks in the run game. Even if Burkhead doesn't trip there is a chance that #83 takes him down because Brown simply misses his block and then roams around like a zombie in the Walking Dead.

There were enough plays to be made with sharper execution.

Look at all that free space:

6q64l4m.jpg

Assuming Dorsett executes this block this play boils down to a 1v1 between Burkhead and the safety for a TD.

And Thuney is 3 yards behind the LOS.

Good stuff. Really interested to see more breakdown on the defense as for me, this is the bigger area of concern at this point. It seems like our pass rushing was non existent yesterday and I wonder if this was a scheme that we had or just being ineffective and being outplayed.
After viewing the excellent work in this thread, it looks like a little bit of both.

Brady set to pass and waited a beat for Hogan before he was aware of any pressure. The pressure on this play is a red herring. He never saw Ngakoue coming at him.

He doesn't have to see it. He feels it. The Jags did an excellent job of pressuring and hitting him a lot early, which translates into Brady, or any QB, hearing footsteps on every play, at least for a while. Hard to be a QB when you don't trust your OL.

After viewing the excellent work in this thread, it looks like a little bit of both.

I have only looked through the first three drives and that without All22 but to me it was a game with lousy execution moreso than any schematic or major gameplan related mistakes. On both offense and defense.

He doesn't have to see it. He feels it. The Jags did an excellent job of pressuring and hitting him a lot early, which translates into Brady, or any QB, hearing footsteps on every play, at least for a while. Hard to be a QB when you don't trust your OL.

That might all be true but he actually settled and waited for Hogan in this particular scene. He stopped going through his reads and locked in on Hogan before any of that pressure was relevant. Just rewatch the scene and look at his body.

The one play of his that irked me was the lack of situational football on a bortles scramble to pick up a first. I know his responsibility was the wr cutting back to the middle of the field but imo he should’ve have recognized bortles was past the LOS and ran to make the tackle instead. Hoping for an all 22 of this play to see if he was at fault or not.

I thought this the first couple of times I saw the play, and I agree that he could have been more in the play to make a run stop, but if he stays with his man to the moment that Bortles commits to crossing the line, he's still running the wrong direction and isn't going to come back and make the stop. He might make it a closer play, but Bortles had a head of steam and wasn't going to be stopped there unless Chung left his man early gambling that Bortles had decided to run and wouldn't throw.

When you get the All22, can you take a look at whether Dorsett was getting open or not, whether he was just too far down in the progression for Brady to see him with the Jaguar's pressure? It seemed to me like there were some opportunities there, but it's hard to tell when you can't see all the coverage on the TV angle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes