PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rewatch Thread: NE @ Jacksonville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hogan ran his route to draw his man (who was closer to the play) away from it. If he ran into the inside guy, his man would have read it and bounced out.

I understand Hogans role in this I was just saying that there was space to make a chip on the other DB legal if he was instructed to.

I understand Hogans role in this I was just saying that there was space to make a chip on the other DB legal if he was instructed to.
It was close. But at the snap the player was 5 yards deep (about 1 1/2 when hogan ran past him). I’m saying blaming hogan fir the play is ridiculous because you just would never design the play that way for multiple reasons.

1 play out of 61.

The playcalling was puzzling and the type that the NE defense want to see and eat up. East - West runs parallel with the LOS like this Dorsett run. Jax is too fast to not get there in time. The NE run game never got going and struck no fear in the Jax defense.

Watching Sonny and then watching Zeke Elliot last night was striking. Sonny will hopefully get his game going.

It's "Sony" like the electronics company.

Going through the game on Gamepass right now..

Blocks are set up beautifully for Burkhead to take it deep (even Dorsett is in place for an eventual block downfield) but he trips. The other thing in this clip to look at is how inept Trent Brown sometimes looks in the run game. Even if Burkhead doesn't trip there is a chance that #83 takes him down because Brown simply misses his block and then roams around like a zombie in the Walking Dead.

There were enough plays to be made with sharper execution.

Look at all that free space:

6q64l4m.jpg

Assuming Dorsett executes this block this play boils down to a 1v1 between Burkhead and the safety for a TD.

Next play Brady waits for Hogan even though he would have CP free underneath

I understand that there are progressions but even then he seemed to decide that Hogan on a timed route is his best bet because he was getting set to throw it to him at a point where CP was already totally open:

q5Vwbqi.jpg

This is the moment Brady sets for the throw. It was not forced by the DE coming at him because at this point Brady has not seen him. This might be a trust thing but White set up a rub so well at the bottom to open up CP that it is almost criminal Brady missed it. The irony here is that Ngakoue only was able to get there that fast because White's job was to rub the DB who was on CP.

And even if protection holds up it is still the lower percentage decision to go to Hogan who is tightly covered.

A sidenote. If Matthews' tackle in the Packers game really was roughing the passer then Ngakoue on Brady was an even easier flag.

Last edited:
Next play Brady waits for Hogan even though he would have CP free underneath

I understand that there are progressions but even then he seemed to decide that Hogan on a timed route is his best bet because he was getting set to throw it to him at a point where CP was already totally open:

q5Vwbqi.jpg

This is the moment Brady sets for the throw. It was not forced by the DE coming at him because at this point Brady has not seen him. This might be a trust thing but White set up a rub so well at the bottom to open up CP that it is almost criminal Brady missed it.

That was one of Brady’s worst plays of the day. From that still shot it looks like brady is staring down the outside wr the whole time completely missing CP running across the middle. Guaranteed first down and if the blocking is good downfield possibly 7.

That was one of Brady’s worst plays of the day. From that still shot it looks like brady is staring down the outside wr the whole time completely missing CP running across the middle. Guaranteed first down and if the blocking is good downfield possibly 7.

He just stopped his progressions because he thought he would have Hogan on a sideline throw. Given how well prepared Brady is the only reason I would think he does that is because he trusted Hogan more than CP.

But yeah this would have been either a TD or at worst a very big play.

First third down for Bortles.

Coverage looks great across the board and Bentley has him dead to rights. No matter how hyped he still is a rookie and will have hiccups like this regularly. The key is to see how often he repeats them and not how many mistakes he makes.

AAzJfA2.jpg

And even then it was a tough throw because KVN was blocking the window pretty well. More often than not this is a breakup or even a pick 6:

OqbWpau.jpg

The play right after the third down conversion where a fumble bounces right back to the Jags and even gives them 6 additional yards.

The worst part about this play is not even how unfortunate the ball bounced but how slow and bad HT looked. That was one of the ugliest reps I have seen from him since his rookie season.

That being said.. I mean come on:

First third down for Bortles.

Coverage looks great across the board and Bentley has him dead to rights. No matter how hyped he still is a rookie and will have hiccups like this regularly. The key is to see how often he repeats them and not how many mistakes he makes.

AAzJfA2.jpg

And even then it was a tough throw because KVN was blocking the window pretty well. More often than not this is a breakup or even a pick 6:

OqbWpau.jpg

I don't understand how you whiff that badly on a sack that my grandmother could have made.

@AndyJohnson or @BaconGrundleCandy (or anyone) can you explain to me why KVN is staying in the MOF and not following Corey Grant sooner ? Is KVN also on Bortles duty ? Is h

If he is closer to Grant maybe Bortles hesitates a fraction of a second longer and it is a sack because Flowers is crashing down on him.

SbimQQZ.jpg

One run stuff later it seems like KVN is this time in position to actually make Bortles hesitate and the pass rush does the rest to force an incompletion:

lj3FKeW.jpg

That is the play that knocks Flowers out of the game. We have the worst luck so far with friendly fire. First Develin taking out Hill and now Davis taking out Flowers with a knee to the neck:

On a sidenote I hope we hear something positive from Flowers and Chung because those are huge losses.

I don't understand how you whiff that badly on a sack that my grandmother could have made.

My guess, it's a rookie overthinking it a bit. Honestly, it looked like he took Bortles subtle move as a sign he was about to throw, and held up afraid to get a penalty. I think it's something he can fix with experience.

Thats a TD for CP right there if Brady had a bit more time. Nice rub design and exactly what CP would need. Just another sloppy, individual break down.

Looks like Thuney didn't pick up the stunt. But he also really needed to help T. Brown who was having a tough time with Campbell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes